Mike Tyson's Style?

B

boooya777

Would Mike Tyson's style of boxing work in mma? I only ask cuz i am short but want to fight heavy weight in mma and thought about tyson cuz he to is short and his style fits againts much larger opponents in boxing. Would this style be appliciable in mma? Also i have been boxing for about a couple of months now and would like to know how should i train to achieve mike's style. How should i have my hands up? How should i deliver my punches, stance, workout, stand flat footed or on my toes? Any help will be appriciated.

My bet is that if you try to fight like Tyson, you will probably fail as thousands have failed before you. Imitating Tyson, or RJJ, or PBF, is not recommended unless you have their physical gifts -- not just a similar body shape/size.

The bob and weave style he used is not great for MMA either, because you risk catching knees or getting caught in a bad clinch. You will also get the bejeezus jabbed out of you unless you are extremely fast and skilled.

Overall I think you are generally better off as a short guy learning to slip and counterpunch than to trying to imitate early Tyson.

Zankou said:
My bet is that if you try to fight like Tyson, you will probably fail as thousands have failed before you. Imitating Tyson, or RJJ, or PBF, is not recommended unless you have their physical gifts -- not just a similar body shape/size.

The bob and weave style he used is not great for MMA either, because you risk catching knees or getting caught in a bad clinch. You will also get the bejeezus jabbed out of you unless you are extremely fast and skilled.

Overall I think you are generally better off as a short guy learning to slip and counterpunch than to trying to imitate early Tyson.

yikes so no bob n weave cuz i might catch some kicks or knees. still he is my favorite fighter and i may fail like the rest but i'm still gonna give it the ol college try. thanks for the advice. what else folks?

If you are interested in learning a fighters techniques, the best thing to do is to get some fight footage and watch it over and over, in slow motion. Then take that to the gym and work with your trainer on specific techniques that you've seen on film.

One catch though - if I were you, I would focus on just learning all the fundamentals for the first year. you want to have a solid foundation before you get into specializing, and additionally, you may find during that year that there are particular combos/techniques that really work for you personally, so you don't want to forgo those things that naturally work for you solely to imitate someone else's style.

One thing Tyson did a lot that I like is the left jab to the body, then right to the face...try working that combo and you'll see you can generate a lot of power with that combo. Hitting to the body is helpful in MMA, b/c you want to be aware of levels (since a takedown is all about changing levels) and make your opponent aware that you are aware as well - eg. you don't want to go head hunting and get taken down.

Also, I think you can integrate some of Tysons head movement, etc. but not as excessively as he did since you do have to deal with clinch and knees.

Hope that helps.

Vovchanchyn Fan said:
If you are interested in learning a fighters techniques, the best thing to do is to get some fight footage and watch it over and over, in slow motion. Then take that to the gym and work with your trainer on specific techniques that you've seen on film.

One catch though - if I were you, I would focus on just learning all the fundamentals for the first year. you want to have a solid foundation before you get into specializing, and additionally, you may find during that year that there are particular combos/techniques that really work for you personally, so you don't want to forgo those things that naturally work for you solely to imitate someone else's style.

One thing Tyson did a lot that I like is the left jab to the body, then right to the face...try working that combo and you'll see you can generate a lot of power with that combo. Hitting to the body is helpful in MMA, b/c you want to be aware of levels (since a takedown is all about changing levels) and make your opponent aware that you are aware as well - eg. you don't want to go head hunting and get taken down.

Also, I think you can integrate some of Tysons head movement, etc. but not as excessively as he did since you do have to deal with clinch and knees.

Hope that helps.

whoohoooo! well now i have a plan of starting out my assult! thanks bro i deffinetly will start on that combo now. my buddy has a documentary on tyson i will ask to borrow that and watch some hl's of him as well. i'm on my way!

i agree w/ zankou that it's very bad to try and mimic a fighter, b/c ur not them. Try and copy Roy Jones Jr.'s flashy style and you'll find urself ktfo, b/c only he has his reflexes. But its good to notice the technique of the fighters. See how Tyson uses his whole body when he punches, how he quickly twists his hips into his power shots and how he bends his legs. IMO, he's still the best fighter on how to throw power punches in his heyday, as in recent yrs. he's reduced to a common sloppy slugger.

Kam, I think the peek-a-boo movement can also be an asset to the right type of fighter. It takes a lot of intelligence on how to apply properly, but if one can do it well-enough it's very tough to be hit. Anyone in here can sit back and think about it and come up with a viable counter, but actually pulling it off is another story. Part of what made Tyson what he was when he was young is he was tough to hit flush because of his body-movement, which was a learned technique as well.

Don't try to fight exactly like your fav. fighters, but there's no reason you can't do some things they do. One from RJJ i like is jab to the face, then lower your level and fake to the body, then come up with the left hook to the head. Usually lands on people.

King Kabuki said:
Kam, I think the peek-a-boo movement can also be an asset to the right type of fighter. It takes a lot of intelligence on how to apply properly, but if one can do it well-enough it's very tough to be hit. Anyone in here can sit back and think about it and come up with a viable counter, but actually pulling it off is another story. Part of what made Tyson what he was when he was young is he was tough to hit flush because of his body-movement, which was a learned technique as well.

awesome! great comments guys! back to the lab for i will embark in a new journey.

I dont neccesarily agree that you shouldnt imitate your favorite fighters or their style. They got where they are for a reason, and all of us can learn something from any of the great fighters. That being said, recognize that part of what will make their style so effective is their physical attributes. ie strength, speed. Take from them what you can and adjust based on your own strengths and weaknesses. One thing anyonce can take from Tyson in his hey day is how quickly he would close the distance. He was one of the best ever at coming under punches, taking a qucik step inside and unloading some heavy blows. You dont have to be as quick as Tyson to incorporate this into your game

mschatz said:
I dont neccesarily agree that you shouldnt imitate your favorite fighters or their style. They got where they are for a reason, and all of us can learn something from any of the great fighters. That being said, recognize that part of what will make their style so effective is their physical attributes. ie strength, speed. Take from them what you can and adjust based on your own strengths and weaknesses. One thing anyonce can take from Tyson in his hey day is how quickly he would close the distance. He was one of the best ever at coming under punches, taking a qucik step inside and unloading some heavy blows. You dont have to be as quick as Tyson to incorporate this into your game

awesome post you just made my day. i do have power and explosiveness due to my powerlifting and football background wether it can be applied to boxing i will soon find out but yes i tottally agree with you and am now really excited on training!

Just thought I might add that I'm trying to get down the "Vitor Blitz". Damn I wish I had his speed

phenomfan1529 said:
Just thought I might add that I'm trying to get down the "Vitor Blitz". Damn I wish I had his speed

if there is a will there is a way. just think early in ali's career they were trying to compare him to joe louis. you have the knowledge phenomfan....i bet if you desired it enogh you can surpass vitors blitz as far as speed power and technique!

boooya777 said:
if there is a will there is a way. just think early in ali's career they were trying to compare him to joe louis. you have the knowledge phenomfan....i bet if you desired it enogh you can surpass vitors blitz as far as speed power and technique!

haha, thanks for the encouragement bro :D

Agree with most of previous posts. Guys like Roy Jones and Tyson had certain styles that worked very well for them because of their amazing speed and power. Keeping your hands like Roy Jones can't work unless you've got the speed and crazy punching angles like Jones had. Just worry more about developing your own style and making it effective.

Boooya,
Espn Classic has been running two shows of interest for you - Mike Tyson's greatest hits, v 1 and II. You might see if you can get a recording of it. Its basically the highlights of most of his first 20 fights, many of which you can see the whole thing since they often ended in the first round. good stuff though.

Vovchanchyn Fan said:
Boooya,
Espn Classic has been running two shows of interest for you - Mike Tyson's greatest hits, v 1 and II. You might see if you can get a recording of it. Its basically the highlights of most of his first 20 fights, many of which you can see the whole thing since they often ended in the first round. good stuff though.

ooooo is this the one that hbo filmed? i gotta look for that. thanks for the headz up vovchanchyn fan. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back