Mike Tyson plans to be Boxing Ambassador for China

McMurder

Blue Belt
Reaction score
LAS VEGAS -- Just call him Ambassador Iron Mike.

Mike Tyson was once the baddest man on the planet. Now he'll be circling that planet as a self-titled ambassador to spread the gospel of boxing to the Chinese.

"I didn't even know what an ambassador really was," he said Thursday. "When I think of ambassadors I think of living off government money and jet-setting with girlfriends."

Sounds good.

Mike gets the chance to make some money and China gets the chance to enhance its boxing program. Given its immense population, I'm sure there's gotta be quite a few boxing talent living there.

I'm surprised that he would be allowed entry into China, considered he's a convicted felon of a violent crime.

I'm surprised that he would be allowed entry into China, considered he's a convicted felon of a violent crime.

IIRC, Japan is the one with the strict entry laws, not China (Tyson was barred from entering Japan in the past. That's one of the reasons why his proposed fight with Bob Sapp never materialized).

China is a communist country and thus the govt can let anyone in whoever they want.

IIRC, Japan is the one with the strict entry laws, not China (Tyson was barred from entering Japan in the past. That's one of the reasons why his proposed fight with Bob Sapp never materialized).

China is a communist country and thus the govt can let anyone in whoever they want.
This is true, and people really do love him over here, When most chinese cats want to talk with me they always bring up NBA and Tyson.
I think more people know Tyson here than Pac, well outside of the phillipinos in china anyway

1.3 billion people=Lots of potential prospects and fans. Smart move.

MMA is also expanding in China, Boxing might as well try to grab their piece of the pie too.

Back