Mike Tyson on Cus D'Amato

Mike never tried to intimidate another fighter in fight night stare downs....He took the Fedor route.

Stay calm, don’t get worked up and (The dude across from you ALREADY KNOWS he gonna get F’D up!)

No need for theatrics!
OK..... So like most mma fans, you know nothing about Tyson

Read both his books. They were pretty good. The second one talked a lot about Cus with Patterson and how he helped out Ali..Cus gave Ali advice right before he fought Foreman. Muhammad called him up before he left to go and asked Cus what to do. Cus told him as soon as the bell rings show no fear and pop him and that's exactly what Ali did. Ali actually wanted Cus as his trainer at one point but Cus told him the styles were a bit different and Ali should stick to what he knows. D'Amato also said before the first Frazier fight telling Alis coach that hes getting hit too much in training, he was worried about that first Frazier fight.

Cus D'Amato greatest boxing mind in history imo

ali got hit alot, cause he was out for over 3 years...he was never the same fighter, once he came back from his exile.

ali got hit alot, cause he was out for over 3 years...he was never the same fighter, once he came back from his exile.
Yeah there's footage of Dundee and Cus while Ali was sparring after his layoff and Cus was telling Dundee that he's taking too many shots he usually doesn't and Dundee kinda played it down that he always does that it's normal for him. Cus saw what his best was as Cassius and before the layoff so he was going by that Ali and saw that he lost a step. I understand Dundee being optimistic. There's a good documentary about it on youtube. Steve Lott, Tysons former handler in the 80's has a lot of footage under lasvegasboxinghalloffame which he owns. I was subbed to it when he only had 2,000 subs and now it's up to 500,000 or so. Lots of cool boxing clips.

And also. Its undefeated prime Joe Frazier we were talking about. I would have picked him too.

Reread. Keywords “fight night”
giphy.gif

Tyson doesnt know the meaning of scared. He definitely wasnt scared. Just out matched

Tyson has confirmed on numerous occasions that he was often scared when stepping into the ring.

in fact, he was so scared of old man Foreman that he refused to step into the ring at all.

Mike never tried to intimidate another fighter in fight night stare downs....He took the Fedor route.

Stay calm, don’t get worked up and (The dude across from you ALREADY KNOWS he gonna get F’D up!)

No need for theatrics!
You've obviously never watched a Mike Tyson fight in your life. But what is more astounding is you have 7 likes. The mind boggles.

Yeah there's footage of Dundee and Cus while Ali was sparring after his layoff and Cus was telling Dundee that he's taking too many shots he usually doesn't and Dundee kinda played it down that he always does that it's normal for him. Cus saw what his best was as Cassius and before the layoff so he was going by that Ali and saw that he lost a step. I understand Dundee being optimistic. There's a good documentary about it on youtube. Steve Lott, Tysons former handler in the 80's has a lot of footage under lasvegasboxinghalloffame which he owns. I was subbed to it when he only had 2,000 subs and now it's up to 500,000 or so. Lots of cool boxing clips.

And also. Its undefeated prime Joe Frazier we were talking about. I would have picked him too.

But the ali that frazier fought, wasn't nearly the same fighter. aside from being out for over 3 years...his skills were clearly diminishing...who knows is his parkonsons was starting to creep in there.. but he was clearly not as fast anymore..both on the feet and his hand speed...

Ali started to show signs way way back...slurring his speech and such...

one of the best posts i've read on sherdog, thanks elwani for putting it together

I I think he went to his "happy" place

Mcneeley actually looks more intimidating there lol.

Tyson looks like an angry human being.

Mcneeley looks like he just got out of mental asylum and hasnt gotten his meds

But the ali that frazier fought, wasn't nearly the same fighter. aside from being out for over 3 years...his skills were clearly diminishing...who knows is his parkonsons was starting to creep in there.. but he was clearly not as fast anymore..both on the feet and his hand speed...

Ali started to show signs way way back...slurring his speech and such...
That's why I said I'd bet on Frazier

That's why I said I'd bet on Frazier

and just think, after that fight, george foreman comes along and gives frazier one of the worst beatings I have ever seen, anyone ever take...especially at fraziers level...he was the undefeated world champion...and foreman just absolutely wrecked him...foreman looked like a destructive punching machine back then....if people think tyson hit hard...foreman made him look weak.

and just think, after that fight, george foreman comes along and gives frazier one of the worst beatings I have ever seen, anyone ever take...especially at fraziers level...he was the undefeated world champion...and foreman just absolutely wrecked him...foreman looked like a destructive punching machine back then....if people think tyson hit hard...foreman made him look weak.

Styles make fights. In Frazier's own book, he divided up boxers into 3 categories: bob and weaving pressure fighters (himself), outside jabbers (Ali), and power punchers (Foreman), and his assessment was that the jabber had an advantage on the power puncher, the power puncher had an advantage on the pressure fighter, and the pressure fighter had an advantage on the jabber.

The power puncher has an advantage on the pressure fighter probably because the pressure fighter has to bob and weave his way in, during the course of which he will almost definitely get hit. To be hit by a jabber is not a high price to pay, but to be hit by a power puncher is.

Sort of confirms what many think, that Tyson wasn't born with the heart that won't let you quit and Cus had to drill it into him not to quit. Also Cus comes off as a cult leader type.

Back