News Mike Malott vs Gilbert Urbina set for July 13th

Who wins?

• Total voters
Pretty clear bounce back matchmaking for Malott.

Well that's a massive step down and a half for Malott.

ztbQI13.png

That's how you do it boys.

Weird fight. Urbina looked to be solidly middle-of-the-pack on TUF. Clearly inferior to dudes like Petroski, Battle, and Gore but superior to the bottom-feeders. I expected Cosce to beat him, but Urbina looked phenomenal and almost like he had turned a corner or something. So naturally I picked him to beat Radtke his last time out, mostly because Radtke is stylistically similar to Cosce and had looked awful in his sole UFC performance... but Gilbert came out flat and gun-shy and got mauled in Round 1.

No idea where I'm going with all of this beyond "Low-level MMA is hard to predict, yo" and maybe the Cosce brothers just really did suck that bad all along. Regardless, Malott should still be able to beat Gil and I expect him to realistically be a heavy favorite. I mean yeah he got embarrassed pretty badly what with being finished by Neil Magny... but Neil represented a decent step up in competition and the way he beat Mike was by exploiting Mike's questionable conditioning since the Canadian was used to finishing dudes early. Malott controlled -- borderline dominated at times -- the first two rounds and even did pretty good in the first half of the third before falling off a proverbial cliff.

Urbina represents a massive step down and essentially a lay-up. I don't see him surviving late into Rd 3 the way a crafty veteran like Magny was able to. And even if he does, will he be capable of dragging Malott into deep waters and drowning him the same way after likely dropping the early rounds and being forced to survive? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Malott should be fighting a top 10. his last fight was complete domination until terrible early stoppage referee error

Forgot Urbina existed tbf.

Malott by submission.

Back