Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito plus weak undercard Tonight on PPV

Someone needs to photoshop Margarido and the Terminator.

I am a giant boxing fan who is just starting to get into MMA. Both of the fighters were winners tonight in the eyes of the fan but I actually fear for Cotto and how he will take this loss. I am not a big fan of giant eyes kellerman but he said something that really made sense, how will Cotto react after he got done in a way that he always does to others. Margarito just broke his will, he made Cotto quit basically. Like Zab, like Torres, and like many others who Cotto just broke down, margarito turned the tables on him. Jeff Lacy, David Reid, and many others just are not the same fighter after their first loss. They know they can lose, they know the can quit, and they don't have the same fire to keep fighting on.

All those people saying Floyd will outbox Margarito must not know the history between the 2. Margarito was chasing after PBF forever, PBF does not want any part of Margarito at all. People say Margarito start slow but he started slow against Cotto because he had to respect Cotto and the power that he brought to the table. Once Margarito realized he could take what Cotto could give, the gears were fully turned on and you saw what happen. With Floyd, Margarito will just walk the hell right through his punches from round 1, just punching anything that Floyd let him hit, arm, shoulders, whatever. Also as Floyd went up in weight, he is more of a stationary fighter, he parries and rolls with punches more than when he was in the lighter weight class. He stays his in his position and counter punches more now. Margarito will eat him up, trust me on this, and therefore Floyd will NEVER EVER fight margarito.

I was kind of surprised how slow Margarito started as well. But it might be a sign of intelligence: maybe he respected Cotto as a fighter and wanted to gauge him before he engaged him. Once the fourth round got rolling, he was starting to take the fight. Before the end came near, I have Magarito clearly ahead of Cotto. There were a few close rounds, but by the 8th, all the rounds, the fight, Cotto's soul, belong to Margarito.

Great night. Undercard performed as well despite the lack of good names. It was all spiffy.

I was kind of surprised how slow Margarito started as well. But it might be a sign of intelligence: maybe he respected Cotto as a fighter and wanted to gauge him before he engaged him. Once the fourth round got rolling, he was starting to take the fight. Before the end came near, I have Magarito clearly ahead of Cotto. There were a few close rounds, but by the 8th, all the rounds, the fight, Cotto's soul, belong to Margarito.

Great night. Undercard performed as well despite the lack of good names. It was all spiffy.

i think he respected cotto's power and once he tasted cotto's best punch he took it and smiled at cotto in the 4th i looked at everyone watching and said this fight is tony's

Margarito VS Cotto was a classic. The talented boxer in Cotto outpunching and dominating Margarito in the early rounds, but Margarito got a cement head and keep putting the pressure on Cotto, with Cotto dancing around the whole fight and burning up energy it took its tole later in the rounds where Margarito would land some great body shots with uppercuts afterwards. This fight reminded me alot of Chavez VS Taylor where the guy with the iron chin keep attacking and wouldn't go away with a late round knock out.

I don't think enough people are pointing out that Margarito needed to dig deep to find second gear in the later rounds. his feet never stopped moving, but there was a time in the middle of the fight when his punches were not coming out as strong as they had been.

No. He was using footwork to get away from those uppercuts. And asking him to defend those uppercuts was like asking Erik Morales to defend Pac's straight left in the second and third fights, it's just a gap in his game, Cotto gets hit by uppercuts. Tony WANTED the inside.

I'm not sure what exactly he could have done to win, it's hard to say with a guy like Tony on his best night, and you have one of the more dangerous punches in the Sport and it barely does shit to him.

dude...when tony smiled at miguel after cotto's huge left hook in the (4th?) i looked around and told anyone who listened this fight is over.

who the hell walks through miguel cotto!?! MONSTER power at 147 and tony fucking smiled. he smiled!?!

Couple guys i watched the fight said Cotto stopped throwing his jab and if he kept throwing it he would've won: BULLSHIT. He stopped throwing his jab because it was beat out of him. Eventhough Tony lost some early rounds he landed 3 really really really good shots to the body that put Cotto on the ropes. oh...and a triple sometimes quadruple uppercut?

What a fight! And I'm jealous of those who were in the house.

I hadnt ordered it at my house, so I have to wait for HBO replay :(

Man I really hope somebody makes a highlight of that fight on Youtube with the Terminator soundtrack.

I haven't really been able to get on my computer lately, so here's my analysis on the fight

First off, let me say mad respect to Margarito. I'm not even gonna lie, I doubted the guy. I didn't doubt his toughness, or conditioning, but I did not think that he was capable of beating Cotto. He not only beat him, but beat him with authority.

I just wish Cotto would have been a little bit more aggressive at times. It seemed like when he was getting exchanges with Margarito he wasn't really getting hit with anything too hard. It was when he was doing the Ali Rope-a-dope (I still don't know why), and letting Margarito sit down on his punches when he was taking the damage. You can't just sit in front of Margarito like that and let him throw those vicious body shots and uppercuts. He should have kept moving, using his angles, and trying to outbox Margarito, but sitting against the ropes is what killed him. Margarito is a beast, but I think if Cotto stood toe to toe with him a little bit more and let his hands go it could have led to a different outcome.

Also, where was Cotto's corner? After round 6-7, you could tell Cotto was starting to get discouraged. Yet his corner didn't do shit. They didn't give him shit for advice, and they didn't do a fucking thing ot get him pumped up when he was obviously starting to doubt himself.

Also, does anybody in boxing have a better chin than Margarito? I've never seen a guy besides Jake Lamotta or Rock marciano eat shots to the chin like that and walk through them unphased.

Hell of a fight though. Both guys fought their asses off, and Margarito and his fucking iron chin deserve the victory, he had to travel a long hard road to get that chance.

If Cotto improves his conditioning and changes his strategy I think he could definatley win a rematch. I wouldn't bet against Margarito though, dude's more of a beast than I thought he was.

I just finished watching this fight again and I'm even more impressed with Cotto than I was the first time around. He really did show some decent skills that I hadn't seen in him before. Margarito was just relentless though. I can imagine fighting a person like that to be really demoralizing because no matter what Cotto did it didn't seem to affect Tony at all.

Great fight.

S.

P.S.

Both Miguel and Tony have damn fine wemmin folk.

Back