Middleweight was so stacked after Anderson was dethroned that Jacare never even got a title shot.

I feel like it was timing more than anything. Rockhold ended up getting the nod to fight for the belt around the time that it would have made the most sense to put Jacare in there, and then the ensuing chaos with Bisping winning and defending against Henderson and GSP only held it up longer.

That fight with Yoel was a real death sentence though, he lost what may have been the most boring fight I’ve ever watched. That’s tough to come back from.

that romero decision really set him back.

Yeah and outside of those elite names listed you had other tough MWs too.

Guys like Kennedy, Boetsch, Dolloway, Leites.

That era was completely stacked. You can Make any match-up in the Top 10 and it would be a huge fight.

What a deep division that was. Any other time and Jacare would have at least gotten a title shot if not been a reigning champion.

Anderson Silva
Chris Weidman
Lyoto Machida
TRTitor Belfort
Jacare Souza
Yoel Romero
Michael Bisping
Kelvin Gastellum
Luke Rockhold
Gegard Mousasi

I wish it was still this stacked.
Goats make the division look thin.

Yeah, 2013-16 MW was maybe the best division in UFC history. So many legends beating the shit out of each other. Weidman and Rockhold were ruined in mid-prime (may their chins RIP). Title shot or not Jacare is a legend.

Well, wasn't he getting fucked over during his winning streak by not getting a title shot and Bisping fighting old man Hendo and other ludicrous things like that?

It was timing. And the Bisping hold up had it not have happened would not have helped him a great deal. He'd lost to Whittaker and Romero and Rockhold was the recently deposed champ.. Before Bisping had it he had already lost to both Whittaker and Romero. He wpould never have been next up

Before that he hadn't beaten any of the guys that challenged Rockhold. Only person he could have reasonably replace in a title fight would have been Lyoto. Lyoto got the title shot against Weidman after beating Clarence Dollaway and He had just finished Mousasi. Unless he was injured at that time, I would say that was the only time he could have felt aggrieved. All the other times he was just one step behind whoever else was waiting for a shot.

In short. He was never the #1 contender. Speaks a lot to the depth of the division at that time

I feel like it was timing more than anything. Rockhold ended up getting the nod to fight for the belt around the time that it would have made the most sense to put Jacare in there, and then the ensuing chaos with Bisping winning and defending against Henderson and GSP only held it up longer.

That fight with Yoel was a real death sentence though, he lost what may have been the most boring fight I’ve ever watched. That’s tough to come back from.
rockhold had a 4 fight finish streak, phillpou, boetch, machida then bisping. He already has a decision win over jacare as well.

Lol, Izzy couldn't beat 43 yo Romero and lost a round to 44yo Anderson.
Let me clarify that for ya, 43 and 44 year olds make competitive fights with Izzy (who just hit prime) and one arguably beat him in a split decision.

Romero is a counter striker. Thats why the fight was the way it is. Plus I admit prime Silva beats Izzy

And just like that the MW division disappeared once again as
Weirdman, Rockhard, Jacare, Homero, Granpa Ping, Belfort and Cheeta grew old overnight and Moose left to get a belt in Bellator.
The division is now completely empty.

I wouldn't say Romero grew old overnight. Even if he was the oldest MW, he seemed really sprightly in his last performances. I would argue he unofficially beat two champions.

Nope.
You have barely seen any competent grappler trying to take down Adesanya to be so sure about it. Especially after how easily Jan controlled him.

Jan outweighed him.

Jan outweighed him.
Great technical analysis, man....

Did many more things than imposing his weight. And if you think a guy as Jacare can't feel much heavier and is much more capable of out grappling people you don't have much clue about the matter.

Jacare who by the way, being completely washed up, still controlled Jan enough to take him to a split decision.

I wouldn't say Romero grew old overnight. Even if he was the oldest MW, he seemed really sprightly in his last performances. I would argue he unofficially beat two champions.

obviously romero didn't grow old over night, but most of the fighters in the list did.
romero had the longest fight life, similar like Handy, cause he started mma too late

Great technical analysis, man....

Did many more things than imposing his weight. And if you think a guy as Jacare can't feel much heavier and is much more capable of out grappling people you don't have much clue about the matter.

Jacare who by the way, being completely washed up, still controlled Jan enough to take him to a split decision.

[MEDIA

Last edited:
Back