Middle School, High School, and Collegiate Boxing Programs

td82394

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Why doesn't this exist? And if it does, how come you never hear about it like you do NCAA Basketball or College Football? We have high school wrestling, why not high school boxing?

I saw not too long ago, the military schools boxing on ESPN. other than that i don't know

Why doesn't this exist? And if it does, how come you never hear about it like you do NCAA Basketball or College Football? We have high school wrestling, why not high school boxing?

They just dont. Thats why a lot of guys got their start at the Boys club or gyms around the neighborhood. I imagine its got a lot to do with insurance purposes. There are some colleges that have boxing programs though.

In 1960, a boxer from Wisconsin suffered a brain hemorrhage during a fight at the National Championships and died a week later. That ended the NCAA boxing championships which lasted from 1924-1960.

In 1976, USA Boxing (the American branch of the AIBA) brought collegiate boxing back. Today, there are three conferences. It's more of a high level intramural program to most of these schools though.

Eastern Collegiate Boxing Association

* Georgetown University
* Gettysburg College
* Lock Haven University
* Mansfield University of Pennsylvania
* Pennsylvania State University
* Salisbury State University
* Shippensburg University
* United States Military Academy (Army)
* University of Maryland, College Park
* United States Coast Guard Academy
* Virginia Military Institute

Midwest Collegiate Boxing Association

* The Citadel
* College of Charleston
* East Carolina University
* Iowa State University
* Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
* Northern Kentucky University
* Ohio State University
* United States Naval Academy (Navy)
* University of Kentucky
* University of Michigan
* University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
* West Virginia University
* Xavier University

Far West Collegiate Boxing Association

* San Jos

In 1960, a boxer from Wisconsin suffered a brain hemorrhage during a fight at the National Championships and died a week later. That ended the NCAA boxing championships which lasted from 1924-1960.

In 1976, USA Boxing (the American branch of the AIBA) brought collegiate boxing back. Today, there are three conferences. It's more of a high level intramural program to most of these schools though.

Eastern Collegiate Boxing Association

* Georgetown University
* Gettysburg College
* Lock Haven University
* Mansfield University of Pennsylvania
* Pennsylvania State University
* Salisbury State University
* Shippensburg University
* United States Military Academy (Army)
* University of Maryland, College Park
* United States Coast Guard Academy
* Virginia Military Institute

Midwest Collegiate Boxing Association

* The Citadel
* College of Charleston
* East Carolina University
* Iowa State University
* Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
* Northern Kentucky University
* Ohio State University
* United States Naval Academy (Navy)
* University of Kentucky
* University of Michigan
* University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
* West Virginia University
* Xavier University

Far West Collegiate Boxing Association

* San Jos

I went to UCD and their boxing "team" was really a club where they worked out... they weren't allowed to actually compete against other schools.

I went to UCD and their boxing "team" was really a club where they worked out... they weren't allowed to actually compete against other schools.

I'm at UCD right now, and for the past 2 years they started competing inter collegiately. But the competition is very limited, and the matches are very few.

Are you kidding? They wont even teach kids real science in school, you think they'll let them actually box?

This would be a great thing, for many different reasons. Especially in Chicago where I'm from. It will never, ever, ever fucking happen, ever. I once saw a news report how a kid died during wrestling practice and of course the talk was about how dangerous wrestling is and it should be banned. I wonder if those same people will stop driving because driving is dangerous and a kid got killed once in a car and it should be banned.

I actually box at my local YMCA, which is a great thing (I'm not a kid tho, I'm 32 and married). EVERYone should go join their local 'Y' and box.

I'm at UCD right now, and for the past 2 years they started competing inter collegiately. But the competition is very limited, and the matches are very few.

That's pretty awesome, still. Glad to hear they finally got it done.

Middle School and High School, I doubt if you will ever see that.

long story short, it's just too goddamn tough for those kinds of people. Brutality like that has to come from the home environment and if it doesn't you never really acclimate to it. All the insurance excuses in the world are bullshit, it's just too brutal, not many normal people want to do it. it's the reason mma offers pussified sparring.

Sucks that amateur boxing has this stigma. In reality, it's one of the safest contact sports kids can participate in. Football, Baseball, Basketball, shit even cheerleading all have many more injuries and fatalities each year than amateur boxing.

One big problem is that not all boxing gyms/trainers are qualified to run a successful and safe amateur program. The bad apples can ruin the whole barrel.

Middle School and High School, I doubt if you will ever see that.

Of course not - but the way we keep taking money away from our public schools - we aren't going to have much of any school run sports programs in the future.

Amateur boxing can still thrive through well run after-school programs though.

Sucks that amateur boxing has this stigma. In reality, it's one of the safest contact sports kids can participate in. Football, Baseball, Basketball, shit even cheerleading all have many more injuries and fatalities each year than amateur boxing.

One big problem is that not all boxing gyms/trainers are qualified to run a successful and safe amateur program. The bad apples can ruin the whole barrel.

that's true, it's the mental hurdle of actual brutality without all the padding of say football and also the way people feel about getting hit in the face, if you've ever been a beginner you will remember how you felt about it, now for me it's meaningless, i learned to love getting the shit socked out of me, but then i liked myself alot better when i was a kid. haha

I imagine that programs wouldn't get much support. As much as lots of people talk aobut wanting to fight/be good at fighting, the fact is that when you get punched in the face, it can change your mind. There's also the perception to the school boards that boxing is more dangerous than other sports. I'd be curious to know the concussion percentage amongst amateur boxers versus that of high school football players. Of course the actual number of injuries makes it sound like football is the more dangerous sport, but I'd wonder if that would change if you increased the number of athletes in amateur boxing.

I wish I had known this before I deciding on which college to attend.

There is a high school in Houston that is or were trying to get boxing in as sport.

In the spring 2005, the HISD voted in favor of our program. During that semester we built a full scale boxing ring in the historic Jack Yates high school. Its completion launched the first accredited boxing program in Houston.

We are currently seeking funding for the expansion of our In-School Boxing Academy. Our vision is to develop academies in other high schools and promote a yearly tournament between them. Any additional information, including program specs and organization budget, will be forwarded upon request.

Welcome to the PABA!

lol I doubt we will ever see this happen, our society these days is too pussified. Everyone gets a medal for trying, all that feel good shit not to speak of the fact that they are all into some ballsport, i can't even watch that shit. Even the most boring fight is more exciting than seeing men running around with a ball.

They put any of the boys who actually show some aggression on Ritalin so I really doubt they will allow them to Box in school.

There's a private school up here that has an amateur program.

Back