Micro Mitts or Regular Focus Mitts for regular training

ChittyChitty

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've only been doing muay thai for a little over a month and so far I have never worked on focus mitts before. The gym I go to do have focus mitts, but so far I've never had a chance to use them. I have a pair of Thai pads that I use occasionally at home, but it would also be nice to have a pair of mitts to work on boxing and accuracy. By using micro mitts for regular training, would it be too straining for the pad holder because of less padding and support? I'm asking this because they look so fun to use! And would it also be safe to incorporate knees and kicks? So far I am looking for micro/focus mitts by Title and Top Contender, so what would you guys recommend? I probably won't be getting any mitts soon, but I will use suggestions for future reference. Thanks!

This video makes me think that micro mitts are fun to use, lol.

YouTube - Marcus Davis Irish Hand Grenade w/ Mark Dellagrotte MMA Pad work

They are fun to use for both trainer and student, but if you hit really hard it wouldnt be so fun for the trainer ...

they are only as fun as you see in the video if you have a holder that knows what they are doing. if you get them just keep in mind they are for speed and accuracy. in the video marcus isn't hitting extremely hard, just fast and snappy. they can really suck for the holder if you go a lot of rounds with a big puncher.

Would recommend as a starter that you use regular mitts to start out with and as your technique develops and improves that you also do rounds using the micro mitts..

I like the idea of it but moving from thai pads straight to micro mitts could be problematic in the sense that you would have to increase speed but improve accuracy also and make sure that you capped your power more than usual.
As mentioned above I think that regular pads are probably a good bridge to have between thai pads and micro mitts.

Thanks for the advice guys. Also, does anyone have any experience with pair of Title or Top Contender focus mitts that they would like to recommend?

I have the Title micro-ball Focus mitts and they seem to be holding up fine. Good deal for the price

Just for the sake of rookie mitt holders purchase the regular curved mitts.

It will be better for both holder and puncher. I have taken seminars several times, and hold mitts for many boxer, MMA, Thai fighters and I use both kind.

Boon small curved mits

and I use the ko fight gear mitts

Just wondering, why aren't KO Fightgear's curved focus mitts available on their website?

Just wondering, why aren't KO Fightgear's curved focus mitts available on their website?

I dunno,I don't know if Neil does not have the space or something?I'll ask him/say the next time I email him bout stuff.Hopefully he still has the Shooto gloves I reviewed as I want some more for my gym..

Not sure, but I would email his website to ask if they have them in stock. They are a fantastic product. Dont look the coolest, but are some of the highest quality.

Not sure, but I would email his website to ask if they have them in stock. They are a fantastic product. Dont look the coolest, but are some of the highest quality.

I emailed him asking about why some items aren't on the website, but he never replied back. :icon_neut

Back