Michael Hunter Enters Free Agency, as Matchroom Boxing Opts Not To Renew Contract

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
“We did not make him a new offer following the expiration of his contract,” Hearn told BoxingScene.com. “There is a lot of heavyweight congestion and with the current issues and backlog I didn’t feel we could deliver him fights with our outstanding obligations within the division.”

The 31-year-old Hunter (18-1-1, 12 KOs) is now looking to begin the next chapter of his career with a new promoter and sponsor.

https://www.boxingscene.com/michael...chroom-boxing-opts-not-renew-contract--149900

I see him joining Haymon and PBC

Seems like a strange move on Hearns part . Hunter has a win over the guy going on his Whyte undercard and is still an undefeated Heavyweight on paper . Heavyweight is hot now to water down your line up . I’m sure most logical fans following DAZN would have liked Hunter vs Parker or a Bakole rematch ,I don’t get this one . Money can’t be that tight in the most important division right now where we’re looking for these outside top 5 matches fighting each other. Actually Hunter has wins on both guys who are fighting each other on the Whyte card .

Wow. I like Hunter a lot & I'm surprised that Hearn just let him walk. Oh well, Hearn's loss is someone else's gain. Either Haymon or Top Rank will likely sign him. Whoever it is I hope they keep him busy as he's one of my favorite heavyweights.

Odd decision. but I guess even the mighty matchroom are feeling the pinch.

He called out Charles Martin for a potential next fight. Superfight incoming?

Seems weird Matchroom wouldnt want to extend an undefeated Americans contract? I guess he has no exposure on DAZN and won't bring in any subscribers, best for both he goes elsewhere.

Dumb excuse from Hearn

Hunter almost became the dark horse of the division but did fall short against Povetkin, with that said it’s not the end of the world for Hunter.

Completely underwhelmed against Povetkin. Don't know the numbers involved, but I don't think it's a bad thing to let him go.

He's young and pretty talented. I guess he has a future in the division.

Completely underwhelmed against Povetkin. Don't know the numbers involved, but I don't think it's a bad thing to let him go.

This. What made his performance In that fight worse is that it was a showcase fight. A win there, especially in impressive fashion would have vaulted him into title contention

He’s currently stuck behind a logjam of Fury, Wilder, Joshua, Usyk, Whyte, Ruiz, Helenius, Martin, and probably the winner of Dubois/Joyce.

He’s got his work cut out for him and quite a wait. Maybe this will light a bit of a fire under his butt. He’s still young to get back into the mix

I think this is matchroom struggling with dealing with the pandemic. I wouldn’t see them doing this under normal circumstances. I’d like an Usyk/Hunter rematch at Heavyweight

“We did not make him a new offer following the expiration of his contract,” Hearn told BoxingScene.com. “There is a lot of heavyweight congestion and with the current issues and backlog I didn’t feel we could deliver him fights with our outstanding obligations within the division.”

The 31-year-old Hunter (18-1-1, 12 KOs) is now looking to begin the next chapter of his career with a new promoter and sponsor.

https://www.boxingscene.com/michael...chroom-boxing-opts-not-renew-contract--149900

I see him joining Haymon and PBC
He used to be signed to Haymon. He hates Haymon

He used to be signed to Haymon. He hates Haymon

Boxing makes for strange bedfellows. If the right money is offered that hate could turn to love quite quickly. But I imagine if they do have a past relationship that ended badly then that gives Bob Arum & Top Rank the inside track to sign him. Personally, I don't care who signs him. I just want to see him get signed soon & kept busy.

I don't think he completely underwhelmed against Povetkin. He almost finished him in the opening round & then the two of them had a good, entertaining fight that I think Hunter won 115-113. But the officials called it a draw. That's hardly a blemish on his record considering that only Klitschko & Joshua had beat Povetkin prior. Povetkin may be aging but he's not shot by any means. So, a draw with him isn't a bad thing in my book.

Boxing makes for strange bedfellows. If the right money is offered that hate could turn to love quite quickly. But I imagine if they do have a past relationship that ended badly then that gives Bob Arum & Top Rank the inside track to sign him. Personally, I don't care who signs him. I just want to see him get signed soon & kept busy.
Mike is a pretty eccentric dude. he also has very poor people giving him advice. but yea, he spent a couple of years trying to get out of that haymon contract. I actually have a copy of a real haymon contract. I should post it sometime

Mike is a pretty eccentric dude. he also has very poor people giving him advice. but yea, he spent a couple of years trying to get out of that haymon contract. I actually have a copy of a real haymon contract. I should post it sometime

Well, if it was that bad then Top Rank is his best option. I'd like to see them sign him & give him the same fights & the same push that they were going to give to Miller before he popped for PEDs again. I don't know him personally as you appear to but he seems like a good kid & I'd like to see him get the best opportunities to further his career. And make some money too, of course.

So, how are you involved in the game? Are you still active in it or are you retired from it like me?

Dad got robbed against Botha

Absolutely, bro. I remember when I watched that bout live on the USA Network's old Tuesday Night Fights & I was outraged by the decision. If I remember correctly, I had it scored like 6-1-1 or 6-2 in rounds. Hunter completely outboxed & outclassed Botha that night but somehow the judges scored in for the South African. And from that moment on I always disliked Botha & I was a big fan of Hunter.

It's just a shame that Hunter never got the breaks that he deserved. Even though he never had a promoter behind him to properly give him a push he had a lot of good solid wins over fighters like Oliver McCall, Jimmy Thunder, Dwight Muhammad Qawi & Pinklon Thomas. And he was almost always in his opponent's hometown when he scored those upsets.

There were other occasions when he lost dubious decisions too. I remember when he lost a split decision to the Russian heavyweight Alexander Zolkin too & that was another case when he wasn't given credit by two of the judges for outboxing his opponent. It wasn't quite as bad as the Botha decision but it was bad enough.

That's why I hope his son, Michael signs with a promoter who will really get behind him & move him into a position where he can eventually get a title shot & make some money.

Well, if it was that bad then Top Rank is his best option. I'd like to see them sign him & give him the same fights & the same push that they were going to give to Miller before he popped for PEDs again. I don't know him personally as you appear to but he seems like a good kid & I'd like to see him get the best opportunities to further his career. And make some money too, of course.

So, how are you involved in the game? Are you still active in it or are you retired from it like me?
I plead the 5th. lol

Back