Michael Chiesa vs. Top 10 Welterweights

Who does Chiesa beat?

• Total voters
Congratulations to Chiesa on a win over a ranked fighter with a big name (former LW champ).

Sorry to learn RDA lost to Chiesa which I did not see, but was a little surprised that he lost given Chiesa was unranked at WW. I've always like RDA as a scrappy hard working and well rounded fighter. I have been thinking for a little while now that RDA might be getting towards the end of his prime or near prime status. He is a 35-year old high-mileage fighter with a lot of wear and tear over 42 fights (29-13). He is kind of undersized for WW at 5-9 and he has been fighting top WW talent ever since he left LW.

Beat Saffiedine, Magny (submission) and Lawler in his first three fights. Then lost to both Covington and Usman by decision (no shame there). Submitted Kevin Lee. Decision losses to Edwards and Chiesa. RDA is 1 - 4 in his last 5 bouts and 4 - 4 at WW overall. I think Father Time is close to knocking on RDA's door and I would rather see older high-mileage fighters leave a little early rather than get CTE on the way out the door. This isn't tennis where if you get demolished 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 you still come home to your family intact rather than visiting the hospital with serious injury after an MMA bout. Father Time comes for everyone eventually. Robbie Lawler (37 YO and 28-14) has dropped off very noticeably since 2016 when he lost the belt to Woodley. And Woodley has perhaps lost his "prime" at age 37 with only 23 fights (19-4) but with lots of outside pursuits (commentator, acting, music, youth wrestling, etc.). Is he still mentally in the game and can he still win fights with his limited gas tank if he isn't super sharp? I think his upcoming fight vs. Edwards fight will be very telling. Lawler had 2 successful title defenses, and Woodley had 3 successful title defenses (not counting the draw vs. Wonderboy).

Last edited:
Regarding the TS question of who else Chiesa might beat in the Top 10, I would say perhaps Diaz and Lawler.

Chiesa ducked Maia for a reason

Ahh, I didn't realize that. Probbly a wise move on Chiesa's part.

I'd still like to see it, though.

And the Diaz matchup. I think Diaz's toughness and JJ would be too much for Chiesa, who's not really a ground-and-pound type of grappler.

Lol you wut.

Colby would lit him up on the feet. Although Chiesa showed great wrestling and top control against RDA, his standup still looked extremely bad.
Colbys standup isnt even that good too. Colby aint a finisher and i could see him lose the first two rounds to chiesa. But very unlikely

I think even ghost of lawler puts up a fight.. a fight that i don't want to see btw.. i have a hard time swallowing ghost of condits loss already..

Diaz is a pickem in a 3 rounder but edge diaz in a 5 rounder..

I'm sure chiesa is better suited for 170 but i just don't think he's a world beater because he got through fading rda..

no shame in fading btw.. he has had a great career with some atg performances and he held the title.. take some fun fights, get paid and ride into the sunset proudly..

Colbys standup isnt even that good too. Colby aint a finisher and i could see him lose the first two rounds to chiesa. But very unlikely

Colby's stand up is good enough to beat up Chiesa. He pretty much beat RDA on the feet and did really well against Usman. Him vs Chiesa would be just like his fight against DHK.

Chiesa has terrible striking and his grappling would be inadequate against the WW wrestlers.
He might overwhelm robbie to a decision but that's about it imo.

He smashes Maia into GnP unconscious retirement via elbows

why people saying Diaz? Nate aint going out to Chiesa .......

I also see a lot of people have picked Nate to beat him.
Imo no way, Nate would box him up to a decision or sub him if Chiesa got him down

Colby's stand up is good enough to beat up Chiesa. He pretty much beat RDA on the feet and did really well against Usman. Him vs Chiesa would be just like his fight against DHK.
Sorry but thats just not the case. Colby didnt beat RDA on the feet because his standup is so good, but because he is a pressure wrestler who RDA historically struggles with. He could not only outcardio RDA but also landed everytime the takedown thread came into play.
And to take the Usman fight as an example is borderline stupid since both guys arent known for their striking at all and just stand in the pocket an traded. If the fight showed anything than its that Colby struggles to outpressure other wrestlers and lacks power.
Colby lost exchanges on the feet vs Demian fcking Maia, its not THAT far fetched to believe Chiesa could atleast defend himself.

He's like a giant version of Jon Fitch. Dana won't tolerate this lay n pray much longer.

Sorry but thats just not the case. Colby didnt beat RDA on the feet because his standup is so good, but because he is a pressure wrestler who RDA historically struggles with. He could not only outcardio RDA but also landed everytime the takedown thread came into play.
And to take the Usman fight as an example is borderline stupid since both guys arent known for their striking at all and just stand in the pocket an traded. If the fight showed anything than its that Colby struggles to outpressure other wrestlers and lacks power.
Colby lost exchanges on the feet vs Demian fcking Maia, its not THAT far fetched to believe Chiesa could atleast defend himself.

A fresh Maia in round one would outstrike chiesa too, but he wouldn't have to because he'd just grapple fuck him.

you guys are such haters. THis guy just wrecked rda and he still cant get any hespect on sherdog. dude is a legit 6'1 and was probably less than 100% trying to make weight at lw. some guys like rda may not be suited for the higher weight class, chiesa looks great at 170. hes had some shit losses to pettis and Lee, but man his grappling looks really effective and opportunistic. hes going to sub some really high ranked guys very soon.

Rafa looked flat and almost uninterested last night and Chiesa just scrapped by him. He's not beating any one in the top 10 (well maybe Robbie who is also a guy who seems to be at the end of his career much like Rafa).

A fresh Maia in round one would outstrike chiesa too, but he wouldn't have to because he'd just grapple fuck him.
I dont deny that.
Ive Said from the beginning that i believe Colby to win vs Chiesa. However im just not as sure as im with most of the other guys. In a 5 rounder id pick Colby all day but i statede that maybe Just maybe Chiesa could win two rounds vs Colby early on.
Than this dude called me out saying Colby would piece Michael up with ease, which just isnt the case imo. Both guys standup is shit.

Back