Michael Chandler signs long-term extension with Bellator

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
“Michael Chandler is synonymous with our brand and doubles as an incredibly talented and exciting mixed martial artist,” Bellator President Scott Coker stated in a press release. “Not every fighter or free agent aligns with our future plans, but when looking at Chandler’s resume, inking him to a long-term extension was a no-brainer.”

Coker’s comment comes amid a flurry of free agents hitting the MMA market, one of which was signed to the division in which Chandler fights. Ex-UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson inked a deal with Bellator and will vie for the welterweight title against champ Andrey Koreshkov in the main event of Bellator 153.

Chandler, 29, called for a fight with Henderson or another recent high-profile signee, ex-Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

“I can’t wait to get back in action and test myself against some of these new guys coming in and move back up through the ranks,” he stated in the press release. “As always, my eyes are on that belt, and it will be back around my waist soon.”

Chandler lost the title in 2013 in a rematch with Eddie Alvarez after a two-year reign that began with an upset of the now-UFC fighter. He failed to recapture the interim title when Alvarez signed with the UFC, losing a split decision to current champ Will Brooks. In a rematch, Brooks stopped him via fourth-round TKO.

Brooks and Chandler have since sniped at each other in interviews with Chandler calling for another fight against the champ.

Chandler began his career with Bellator in just his fourth professional fight before entering the Season 4 tournament under the promotion’s previous owner. He went on a seven-fight tear including his capture of the title before his trio of losses. Since then, he’s rebounded with a pair of wins over Derek Campos and David Rickels, respectively.

Chandler’s next fight has not yet been announced.

“I’m ecstatic to continue my career with Scott Coker and Bellator MMA,” he stated. “It’s obvious that good things are continuing to happen for this promotion and it’s correlating to big opportunities for myself as well.”

Well there goes any chance of him fighting in UFC o well I like Bellator maybe their 155 division will keep growing hope to see him fight hHendersonor tThompsonin the future

Chandler v Thomson is already set. On the Davis/king mo undercard.

He made more sense for Bellator than UFC, his value is much greater to Bellator.

Well I'm happy to still have Chandler in Bellator. But I'm surprised. He has kind of run his Bellator course. He won the belt at one time. He can say, been there and done that. He'd likely get picked up by UFC...maybe they treat him well at Bellator.

Well I'm happy to still have Chandler in Bellator. But I'm surprised. He has kind of run his Bellator course. He won the belt at one time. He can say, been there and done that. He'd likely get picked up by UFC...maybe they treat him well at Bellator.

He was the guy they were pushing to be their star initially especially once Spike picked them up.

“Michael Chandler is synonymous with our brand and doubles as an incredibly talented and exciting mixed martial artist,” Bellator President Scott Coker stated in a press release. “Not every fighter or free agent aligns with our future plans, but when looking at Chandler’s resume, inking him to a long-term extension was a no-brainer.”

Coker’s comment comes amid a flurry of free agents hitting the MMA market, one of which was signed to the division in which Chandler fights. Ex-UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson inked a deal with Bellator and will vie for the welterweight title against champ Andrey Koreshkov in the main event of Bellator 153.

Chandler, 29, called for a fight with Henderson or another recent high-profile signee, ex-Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

“I can’t wait to get back in action and test myself against some of these new guys coming in and move back up through the ranks,” he stated in the press release. “As always, my eyes are on that belt, and it will be back around my waist soon.”

Chandler lost the title in 2013 in a rematch with Eddie Alvarez after a two-year reign that began with an upset of the now-UFC fighter. He failed to recapture the interim title when Alvarez signed with the UFC, losing a split decision to current champ Will Brooks. In a rematch, Brooks stopped him via fourth-round TKO.

Brooks and Chandler have since sniped at each other in interviews with Chandler calling for another fight against the champ.

Chandler began his career with Bellator in just his fourth professional fight before entering the Season 4 tournament under the promotion’s previous owner. He went on a seven-fight tear including his capture of the title before his trio of losses. Since then, he’s rebounded with a pair of wins over Derek Campos and David Rickels, respectively.

Chandler’s next fight has not yet been announced.

“I’m ecstatic to continue my career with Scott Coker and Bellator MMA,” he stated. “It’s obvious that good things are continuing to happen for this promotion and it’s correlating to big opportunities for myself as well.”
Smart move since Chandler will probably dominate with Brooks out of the way.

Back