Media Michael Chandler: Khabib is the GOAT but in a couple of years, I'll be right up there with him

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

"Khabib is the GOAT at this point.. With my previous accolades, and beating Charles Oliveira, capturing the UFC Gold and defending the title as long as I believe I can for the next couple of years, I think I'm going to be right up there with him"

Last edited:
When I read the title I pictured Bruce Buffer for some reason

"Khabib is the GOAT at this point.. With my previous accolades, and beating Charles Oliveira, capturing the UFC Gold and defending the title as long as I believe I can for the next couple of years, I think I'm going to be right up there with him"

Hes a bit delusional. You dont lose to Will Brooks twice in your prime and get to be in top 20.

In a couple of years Chandler will be 37. He's a good guy, but I'm afraid he's buying too much into his own press releases. He's had three 1st round KO's in a row. Good for him, but one was a journeyman (Outlaw), one was 37 and years past his prime (Bendo) and Hooker is very overrated IMO. (Hooker should be 0-3 in his last three fights without home field reffing vs. Felder. He was also finished and destroyed by Barboza a couple of years ago--everyone seems to have forgotten that.)

Chandler isn't going to be able to walk down everyone he fights and get a 1st round KO. We'll see what happens when he starts going into deep waters against other elite LWs.

Last edited:
Chandler should focus only how to win a fight against the Bronx. This his biggest fight of his life and Chandler is not a teenager in LW div. It's now or never for Chandler
I came to say something like this. Chandler is getting a bit long in the tooth for MMA. He’s a good fighter, but he seems to think his best years are yet to come and that he’s got plenty of them left. Can’t say I agree, but I wish him the best.

In a couple of years Chandler will be 36. He's a good guy, but I'm afraid he's buying too much into his own press releases. He's had three 1st round KO's in a row. Good for him, but one was a journeyman (Outlaw), one was 37 and years past his prime (Bendo) and Hooker is very overrated IMO. (Hooker should be 0-3 in his last three fights without home field reffing vs. Felder. He was also finished and destroyed by Barboza a couple of years ago--everyone seems to have forgotten that.)

Chandler isn't going to be able to walk down everyone he fights and get a 1st round KO. We'll see what happens when he starts going into deep waters against other elite LWs.

Hooker pushed Poirier to the brink. No one else has done that lately in a striking match up.

Chandler has full belief in himself, gotta give him that. Unfortunately he's 35 years old, and up until this point its unprecedented to see a 35+ year-old have much success at the top of the UFC's LW division. I do think he has the ability to beat Oliveira though, but eventually that age and all those wars he's been in will catch up to him.

Reactions: mkt
LW’s don’t age well. He better get going then.

Reactions: mkt
Hooker pushed Poirier to the brink. No one else has done that lately in a striking match up.
Fine, that's one fight. But he also should've lost to Felder and was destroyed by Barboza. When your best performance is a loss (and likely an off night for the other fighter), that doesn't mean you're elite. Don't forget Poirier was KO'd by MJ and isn't invincible.

Chandler has full belief in himself, gotta give him that. Unfortunately he's 35 years old, and up until this point its unprecedented to see a 35+ year-old have much success at the top of the UFC's LW division. I do think he has the ability to beat Oliveira though, but eventually that age and all those wars he's been in will catch up to him.
Yep. One thing that's helped Chandler is a lack of really tough, damaging "war" type fights in recent years. He had a pretty challenging SD win in his first fight with a past-prime Bendo. And he got KO'd by Pitbull. Outside of that, he's fought the likes of Sidney Outlaw, Girtz (a terrible fighter), Yamauchi, etc. in Bellator. You have to go back to the Will Brooks fights in 2014 to see him take any serious damage.

That will likely change in the UFC, though. A few wars with the likes of Gaehtje or Poirier will age him quickly. Look at Tony Ferguson.

Hes a bit delusional. You dont lose to Will Brooks twice in your prime and get to be in top 20.
I think Brooks is better then hes given credit for.tons of talent but at times lack of fight IQ but also had some mental hurdles I feel got in his way.
Also Hughes got quickly finished twice to Hallman and hes sitting comfortably in his top 20.If Chandler wins this next fight he's accomplished more than most MMA lws have already.

I think Brooks is better then hes given credit for.tons of talent but at times lack of fight IQ but also had some mental hurdles I feel got in his way.
Also Hughes got quickly finished twice to Hallman and hes sitting comfortably in his top 20.If Chandler wins this next fight he's accomplished more than most MMA lws have already.

Hughes got finished quick. Brooks fucking dominated. Hallman you can say just a fluky bad match up. Brooks fucked Chandler up head to head TWICE. Not to mention Chandler lost to Pitbull, and what's the other guy's name.

He got KO'd by a FW ... he's not ever gonna reach Khabib status. I respect his confidence in the face of plenty of obvious evidence to the contrary. <Moves>

Imagine talking about being the GOAT with a single win in the UFC. Against Dan Hooker. lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back