• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Michael Chandler comments on the cancellation of the Conor fight.

God is testing him.

"My son, I know you want beat this alcoholic for money but you have to wait.
And if the fight doesn't happen, say its actually God's plan.

Not sure why everyone rags on Chandler for waiting this out. He's already set financially for a long time. He's taking zero abuse on his noggin for the last 2 years and when(if) the Conor fight does happen he will have generational wealth. Something that fighting 3 or 4 times in previous 16 months wouldn't have provided.

He got paid for TUF, makes money on socials and gets to spend plenty of time with his family.

He wasn't in any sort of legitimate title contention.

Plus startching Conor is quite the legacy feather in the non-culturally appropriated hat.

The lack of abuse I will give you but he doesn't have the best fight IQ so I would assume he has taking some beatings in training. On another note, I think you have this McGregor confused with the one from 2015. That one is the legacy feather in the cap. The 2024 one is just left overs from from drugs and partying.

You are right about him making the amount of money but he could have fought himself into title contention had he not sat out. Look at Dustin. He was knocked out by Justin, fought an up and comer and then got a title shot when he didn't really earn one. Chandler could have done the same thing but instead he'll just continue on being a fake David Goggins.

The lack of abuse I will give you but he doesn't have the best fight IQ so I would assume he has taking some beatings in training. On another note, I think you have this McGregor confused with the one from 2015. That one is the legacy feather in the cap. The 2024 one is just left overs from from drugs and partying.

You are right about him making the amount of money but he could have fought himself into title contention had he not sat out. Look at Dustin. He was knocked out by Justin, fought an up and comer and then got a title shot when he didn't really earn one. Chandler could have done the same thing but instead he'll just continue on being a fake David Goggins.

Let's be real, of the "aging guard" Chandler is/was clearly behind Gaethje, Poirier and Oliveira for a title shot even with 2 wins because he's lost to them all.

Also in 7-10 years no one is gonna care that Conor wasn't prime. It's still Conor.

If I was Michael Chandler, I would be in Ireland frustrating Conor everywhere he went and digging in with the Irish fans, Muhammad Ali style.

The UFC is an opportunity and this is Michael Chandler’s opportunity to make this fight the highest selling fight of all time.

I don't feel bad for Chandler, he's the one that has chose to sit out all this time. In fact I think it's kind of funny the way he's let Conor and the UFC play him like a fiddle.
I like Chandler, but he's a grown man and should've known how risky it was to wait for Conor, who hasn't been reliable at all since the $100M Mayweather payday.

I say the UFC does a joint venture with a boxing promotion and has the following fights on the same night
  • Chandler vs. Conor
  • Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Khamzat vs. anyone they can find on one week's notice
What could go wrong?

Strategically he should have shit talked McGregor. Said that Conor is ducking him.
Bruised McGregors shallow ego.

The passive positive nice guy isn't going to make McGregor actually show up.

Granted Dana probably banned him from saying a single word.

I think Eddie Alvarez broke it down quite well.

He said that Chandler stands to make at least 3m-4m if he has a share in PPVs.

Which means he would need to fight at least 3-4 times (and win) against "regular" opponents to achieve that same amount of money.

I suppose that justifies him waiting 2 years and keeping fresh/taking no damage.

But it really sucks for the fans because Chandler is such an exciting fighter to watch.

Take a short notice fight and try to make up for lost time

Wanting to fight Conor these days is a joke. He's a celebrity at this point, hasn't looked like a fighter in years.

I think Eddie Alvarez broke it down quite well.

He said that Chandler stands to make at least 3m-4m if he has a share in PPVs.

Which means he would need to fight at least 3-4 times (and win) against "regular" opponents to achieve that same amount of money.

I suppose that justifies him waiting 2 years and keeping fresh/taking no damage.

But it really sucks for the fans because Chandler is such an exciting fighter to watch.

The thing that is really annoying about the whole McGregor/Chandler thing is we need to keep divisions moving. It's nice that Chandler wants a payday but he has been #6 and has not fought in close to 2 years. The rank squatting is getting over done at this point. He's not the only one but his is the most high profile one.

Also, maybe I am looking at this wrong but how hard would it be to, at minimum, get a title fight now? Gaethje and Poirier are out indefinitely. Arman is next and rumors are Max is moving back down. So if Chandler were to fight he would only need to beat 1 or 2 guys to get a title shot. That means those 3 to 4 fights Eddie is talking about could get him to the title which I thought he wanted just as much as a McGregor payday.

And yes I know by losing he could lose the McGregor fight but who is to say McGregor is going to fight again anyway?

They are likely to have opened a geriatric division by the time Conman is ready. But, to that end, Chandler should at least land a title shot.

Chandler kept in shape for quite a while and is still healthy to put on exciting performances. The Conor money fall thru tough but it was a tempting opportunity. Hope his luck improves.

I have no empathy for this guy, he was Conor's pet for years, he doesn't respect himself. He deprived us of fights that we would have wanted to see with him in the top 15.

I hope his fight with Conor never happens

Also, maybe I am looking at this wrong but how hard would it be to, at minimum, get a title fight now? Gaethje and Poirier are out indefinitely. Arman is next and rumors are Max is moving back down. So if Chandler were to fight he would only need to beat 1 or 2 guys to get a title shot. That means those 3 to 4 fights Eddie is talking about could get him to the title which I thought he wanted just as much as a McGregor payday.
Wouldnt be that hard with the way the division is at the moment.

Charles has given up on retaking the belt for now, campaigning to fight Conor, or a fight at 170

Gamrot is the logical next man up behind Arman, Chandler has a much bigger name, they arguably could squared off in a number 1 contender's match.

Back