MGS vs. Hitman vs. Splinter Cell?

td82394

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So there's a Square Enix sale on PSN and I'm trying to figure out if I would enjoy Hitman. I LOVE the Metal Gear Solid series, especially Snake Eater and Peace Walker. If it makes a difference, I would rank the games from best to worst as Peace Walker, Snake Eater, Ground Zeroes, MGS1, Sons of Liberty, and Guns of the Patriots. However, I don't enjoy Splinter Cell nearly as much. I can't put my finger on it, it's just not my thing.

What I like about Metal Gear is the vast amount of attention to detail in each game and the freedom to choose your own strategy, as well as the goofy yet super realistic postmodern narrative. I love that in 2 & 3, you can shoot the guards' radios to prevent an alert. I love that you can throw a magazine to make noise and that a guard will go investigate. I also love that a character can turn into a cyborg ninja and nobody will even bat an eye.

So could I enjoy Hitman compared to that?

hitman is pretty cool. gives you different options on how to deal with things. you can be stealthy or you can go balls out and shoot up everyone.

I just finished Absolution which is the first Hitman game I've played, can't compare it too much to MGS since I've only played the first one on PS1. It was pretty good though, lots of different ways to finish the job and the AI is much better than in the Assassins Creed games (where it's mind blowingly bad IMO)

If you do like it there's a pretty good replay factor, you can go back to any level you've beaten and try to find other ways to get the kill. Some levels have quite a few, I've gotten about 8 different ones in Chinatown and still have 4 left I think

I'd like to hear some other opinions too, I've thought about grabbing the MGS Collection on the 360 but it seems like everyone liked Hitman Blood Money more than Absolution so I may grab that first

I just finished Absolution which is the first Hitman game I've played, can't compare it too much to MGS since I've only played the first one on PS1. It was pretty good though, lots of different ways to finish the job and the AI is much better than in the Assassins Creed games (where it's mind blowingly bad IMO)

If you do like it there's a pretty good replay factor, you can go back to any level you've beaten and try to find other ways to get the kill. Some levels have quite a few, I've gotten about 8 different ones in Chinatown and still have 4 left I think

I'd like to hear some other opinions too, I've thought about grabbing the MGS Collection on the 360 but it seems like everyone liked Hitman Blood Money more than Absolution so I may grab that first

Well hey, I haven't played Hitman, but I can certainly tell you about the sheer awesomeness that is Metal Gear Solid. I would recommend buying #3 on it's own if you just want to dip your feet in the water. I don't know if you can do that on 360, tho.

Hitman Blood Money is the best computer Hitman, it is harder than the Absolution newer one, with many more options to win. But the controls are crap.

the new Hitman game is much better control/graphics compared to the old ones and has some good fun in it. Clearing a level killing people with a screwdriver is pretty entertaining (you can throw it as well as stab).

I liked Splinter Cell Conviction better than Hitman though.

don't be a drama queen, just buy it weenie. Shouldn't be some big debate about whether to buy a video game lol.

Why are you even ranking Ground Zeros?

I never played a single Splinter Cell game prior, felt that I wouldn't enjoy it as well but I picked up Blacklist earlier this year and it wasn't as bad as I thought. SP was enjoyable but didn't even touch the MP stuff.

I never played a single Splinter Cell game prior, felt that I wouldn't enjoy it as well but I picked up Blacklist earlier this year and it wasn't as bad as I thought. SP was enjoyable but didn't even touch the MP stuff.

the multiplayer is actually pretty damned good. I'm not a fan of playing the first person shooty mercs, but it's a real interesting concept.

Hitman absolution would be enjoyable if you have never played a hitman game. If you have you will be disappointed. The rest of the series gets 10/10 IMO. Pick up the HD collection, amazing games.

Never played a splinter cell game

Get Blood Money, it's outstanding and pretty cheap these days.

Personally i feel that the SC MP is one of rhe best around. Spy vs Merc is a fantastic change from the usual FPS/TPS multiplayer stuff.

Blood Money is $4 or $5 I think on the XBOX this week, even if it was crap I'd buy.

I am a gigantic whore for Splinter Cell. The series has made its missteps, but Chaos Theory is one of the best games of the 2000s - it's the pinnacle of stealth gaming.

Splinter Cell in Co op is awesome. I only got into Splinter Cell with the latest 2 games though.

Splinter Cell in Co op is awesome. I only got into Splinter Cell with the latest 2 games though.

You really should get a copy of Chaos Theory to play. It is the gold standard for stealth.

You really should get a copy of Chaos Theory to play. It is the gold standard for stealth.

One of my friends is a huge Splinter Cell fan and he urged me to play it as well at the time. Never got around to it though. Maybe I borrow his disc from him next time I'm over.

One of my friends is a huge Splinter Cell fan and he urged me to play it as well at the time. Never got around to it though. Maybe I borrow his disc from him next time I'm over.

It's a very slow-paced game. You have to be patient with it - it emphasizes stealth above all else. But if you do like stealth games, odds are you'll love it. It has very high ratings for a reason.

It's a very slow-paced game. You have to be patient with it - it emphasizes stealth above all else. But if you do like stealth games, odds are you'll love it. It has very high ratings for a reason.

Alright, a change of pace is welcome as long as it doesn't feel too clunky. Lately all I've been playing are fast paced games like Borderlands 2 and Left 4 Dead 2.

Alright, a change of pace is welcome as long as it doesn't feel too clunky. Lately all I've been playing are fast paced games like Borderlands 2 and Left 4 Dead 2.

I think it has aged quite well - I wouldn't call it clunky, even though it's two generations old. It feels smooth and controlled, with a generally measured tempo. Hope you have fun!

Back