Methods for Excelling in BJJ?

The Man Monster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've done alot of weird stuff like targeted grappling (ie only going for certain moves) and training with higher belts and what not and found it helps me tremendously because of the difficulty of these activities... My question is what other methods are there for you to excel in BJJ?

I have a diary where is scribble down notes about techniques/ comments on trainings or sparrings. I write down what I did wrong and how to fix that next time. I also write down what I did well. I also set up weekly goals: ex: use this choke or sweep or guard pass.

Hope this helps.

As hokey and Lloyd Irving of me it sounds, I have to say that the biggest factor of determining your success in any grappling art is your mental attitude. As long as you stay positive and tell yourself that you're good at what you're doing, then it will eventually become a truth.

Stay focused and, most importantly, have fun. If training becomes boring or chore-like to you, then you should take a break. If you don't plan on making a career out of grappling/fighting, then you're doing the martial art as an activity and hobby. Therefore, you need to have fun while doing it.

mogway said:
I have a diary where is scribble down notes about techniques/ comments on trainings or sparrings. I write down what I did wrong and how to fix that next time. I also write down what I did well. I also set up weekly goals: ex: use this choke or sweep or guard pass.

Hope this helps.

I had that idea but never really followed through. I thought it would a good way to monitor my progression. Nice idea. I also liked 'brecher's comment about mental attitude, staying positive & also being focused plus mat time.

the diary can serve other purposes too. When coming up through the ranks, i would desribe the techniques i learned in my diary including stick figures if necessary. one thing that did was help the techniques stick in my mind alot better.

treat it like a college class and not just a hobby. really study the different positions and options. writing things down is a good thing to do. and watch grappling videos not with the notion youre going to be able to perform all the techniques in them, but just take things that you know for sure you would be able to do. BJJ is a really open sport, and everyone has their own interpretation, so it helps to think outside the box sometimes.

also drill your own techniques for 5 or 10 mins every day.

Never miss class.

Drilling, sparring higher belts, sparring lower belts, weight lifting, running, swimming, drills, sparring, drills, tournaments, drills and sparring.

I like training with dudes who can kill me. I find its the quickest way to learn. I do however recommend training with people not as good also, as it is good practice for technique. Especially when I roll with beginners I try to use no energy and be fluent.

dutchmasterj3 said:
I like training with dudes who can kill me. I find its the quickest way to learn. I do however recommend training with people not as good also, as it is good practice for technique. Especially when I roll with beginners I try to use no energy and be fluent.

Last night I rolled with a guy who's been going a for about 2 months (I've been rolling for about 3 and a half) and all I used was tehcnique.

For me, cardio is important. I can only train twice a week, so I have to get in all the rolling I can on two nights. That means two long sessions instead of three or four shorter ones.

I also agree with the idea of the diary/journal. I keep one--even though I don't update it after every class. I include specific moves and drills and such. But I also write (or type, it's on the computer) my thoughts about what I'm doing, what I'm seeing, who impresses me in class and why, etc.

Since I'm a beginner (1 month yesterday), I also try to focus on a few things I want to try each time I spar. Guard passes are an obsession with me right now (especially because of the blues and purples I roll with). I'm also working hard on escapes from side mount/side control.

One bad habit I need to watch out for is that there are a couple of white belts who've been at our academy for awhile longer than me and have got me by twenty-odd pounds. But I've been able to mount and armbar them pretty regularly of late. I need to cut that out and start working on other things when I spar with them (especially escapes since they've got a nice weight advantage) ...

I know: a lot of talk from a guy who's only had eight or nine classes. But I can't tell you how much I enjoy learning jiu-jitsu ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back