Mentality

--Shogun--

White Belt
Reaction score
Omg I have such a weak mind lol. During classess I usally dominate most ppl my size and hold my own against much larger opponents.. and somtimes even finishing them. but my problem is.. i had my first tournament last week(bjj). Even tho i came in second im still disapointed. I was soo nervous. I was shaking the entire time and I froze in so many positions. Even in the matches I won I made many mistakes.. I just wasnt myself. People always say "oh just pretend your in class".. but its not that easy for me. I think to many negative thoughts.. is there anything I can do to work on it.. like seriously.. like excorsises or somthin aha... Im just worried cuz im really into mma and bjj and when im older i really wanna compete, and i dont want that happening.. at least not that bad.

ty

--Shogun-- said:
Omg I have such a weak mind lol. During classess I usally dominate most ppl my size and hold my own against much larger opponents.. and somtimes even finishing them. but my problem is.. i had my first tournament last week(bjj). Even tho i came in second im still disapointed. I was soo nervous. I was shaking the entire time and I froze in so many positions. Even in the matches I won I made many mistakes.. I just wasnt myself. People always say "oh just pretend your in class".. but its not that easy for me. I think to many negative thoughts.. is there anything I can do to work on it.. like seriously.. like excorsises or somthin aha... Im just worried cuz im really into mma and bjj and when im older i really wanna compete, and i dont want that happening.. at least not that bad.

ty

A good "excorsise" is learning how to type with at least some proper grammar.

Just continue to practice and compete. Everybody gets nervous no matter what pretty much but it'll go away the more your compete.

Bro I went to my first tournie today, I won third place (bronze) Not happy at all, I could have dominated everyone. I lost my first fight because I freaked against some pussy white belt. I can no problem hang with most blue belts, but when it comes to tournies I freak I have a weak mind. Same problem happens on the street.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Bro I went to my first tournie today, I won third place (bronze) Not happy at all, I could have dominated everyone. I lost my first fight because I freaked against some pussy white belt. I can no problem hang with most blue belts, but when it comes to tournies I freak I have a weak mind. Same problem happens on the street.
dude my fucking ankle and knee are hilling me from the leg lock...I hope I am not hurt

I freak out a bit in tourney but usually come good after the first match but overall ive done well. Biggest mistakes i made were being to eager to get mount from side and throwing my leg over to wide and getting it caught and getting back to guard. I dont think many poeple do ther very best in competition, nerves play a roll to different degrees with different poeple.
If you shit your pants going into a grappling comp, just imagine how nervous you will be doing an mma fight :) i get nervous just being at the events when a mate is fighting .

LCDforMe said:
A good "excorsise" is learning how to type with at least some proper grammar.

Just continue to practice and compete. Everybody gets nervous no matter what pretty much but it'll go away the more your compete.

its an internet forum does it really matter? u understood it didnt you?

Oktavius said:
I freak out a bit in tourney but usually come good after the first match but overall ive done well. Biggest mistakes i made were being to eager to get mount from side and throwing my leg over to wide and getting it caught and getting back to guard. I dont think many poeple do ther very best in competition, nerves play a roll to different degrees with different poeple.
If you shit your pants going into a grappling comp, just imagine how nervous you will be doing an mma fight :) i get nervous just being at the events when a mate is fighting .

The "fear" stays with me even after the first match.. i just dont gett it! argh. well hopefully if i just keep going eventually it will go away.

infamous mattyd said:
dude my fucking ankle and knee are hilling me from the leg lock...I hope I am not hurt
Yo man I hope you feel better. "Tap or Snap" ya know?

I can say that i never had that problem.....i've wrestled since i was 6 years old and it was always that i would get nervous before the match.....but once the match started it would all dissapear. Try doing vizualization stuff though. Vizualize yourself finishing the other guy, getting your hand raised....stay with that positive attitude in mind going into your fight....lay it out for yourself to play it out!! good luck in the future

Shogun, nerves are part of the game. You have to train to overcome them as much as training to improve the technique & fitness of your grappling game. Now you have a taste of it - competition is at a different level to just rolling. You have to deal with the pressure of getting pwned.

The more you compete the more you will be able to handle this mental side of the game. Most of the time you put too much pressure on yourself and the more you compete, the more you start to relax. However, I dont think it ever truly goes away no matter how much you play - least it hasnt for me.

You have to find your own way to deal with it & get the mental edge. Try to think positive about competing. Before sparring bouts, close your eyes & imagine you are at a comp - try and generate those same nerves again, then roll - keep facing it & you will deal with it better.

Some people train like animals before a comp - giving them a mental edge that they are better prepared then the others with fitness - no room for doubt to creep in about the other person out-gassing you.

Other people like to listen to music - everyone's different.

Some people just cant hack it. They stay in their club with no pressure & like to think they're king sh*t in their own little narrow world while the blokes with the real balls go & fight. You just gotta decide which one you are....

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Just work on posturing when in guard and not freaking out when things dont go your way. Make sure to ask dunn though before listening to me since I'm still a newb.

It's your first tournament dude, what did you expect?

--Shogun-- said:
its an internet forum does it really matter? u understood it didnt you?

Personally, I hate reading badly typed posts.

It's up to you. If you want to give everyone the impression that you're an uneducated oaf then feel free to ignore the rules of spelling and grammar.

First tourney for me today NAGA
I came in with a good amount of confidence for my first match which I won and then I was shaky and tired right after....I lost my heart after that.....after a bad loss in my second match I was really tired and my third match for 3rd place was a loss....gassing out is the worst, will never happen again, it's true what they say that fatigue makes a coward of us all, I do fine fatigued in class but after that first match I was gassed and had dry mouth and my arms shook when I tried to raise them

ShadowNINku said:
First tourney for me today NAGA
I came in with a good amount of confidence for my first match which I won and then I was shaky and tired right after....I lost my heart after that.....after a bad loss in my second match I was really tired and my third match for 3rd place was a loss....gassing out is the worst, will never happen again, it's true what they say that fatigue makes a coward of us all, I do fine fatigued in class but after that first match I was gassed and had dry mouth and my arms shook when I tried to raise them

yea i noticed i got tired quicker then I usually would aswell.

plus I lost a contact lens(I was half blind but you can't have that as an excuse it was mostly the fatigue) which I couldnt put back in cause my arm was in parkinsons as kept missing my eye when I tried putting it back in

Waxwingslain said:
Personally, I hate reading badly typed posts.
realy? so ru annoyed if u read a post like i write it hear? and if i
JUST WRITE IN CAPS ALL THE TIME - BOTHER YOU ANY?

Damn, thats actually hard to do once you're in the habit of posting properly.

Grats on your first comp. sho, second is not bad for your first tourney (I came in first though in mine ;) cause it wasnt a good set up and at 235 lbs i got to fight 2 guys about 175lbs... who were also in their first comp) but anyways... just relax and if you lose you lose, no biggy. I guarantee your next comp will be a lot better and you wont get as nervous and about the negative thoughts, just try to let em go out the window. Leave your ego at the door and just have fun.

judogido said:
realy? so ru annoyed if u read a post like i write it hear? and if i
JUST WRITE IN CAPS ALL THE TIME - BOTHER YOU ANY?

Damn, thats actually hard to do once you're in the habit of posting properly.

Arrgh!

It's probably because I'm an English teacher. I just find it sad when the foreigners on here post in better English than the native speakers.

I keep my mouth shut most of the time but there's a limit.

Back