mental blank once in a good position

blackers10

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a couple of months into my training in BJJ And have rolled a few times now and keep finding myself getting to a position (mount,guard, side control what ever)
and I just totally blank out and can't remember any moves to goto and then my opponent just sweeps me and its game over usually,

Does anybody else have this problem?
or have any ways to help combat it?

The only thing I can think of is just a lack of drilling the technique so it sets in my head better?

cheers
Brenden

drilling always helps. Always.

Keeping a notebook on moves you learn from a certain position helps. Then you're able to go "man...my side control has been out of whack lately" and you can refer to your notes on the things you've already done, already learned.

maybe just learn one thing to go for first from each position.

I can totally associate with this problem. Most of the subs I pull off are from guard, and when I end up in mount and they just relax (ie. not giving up any mistakes/openings), I'm sometimes left looking a bit clueless.

The answer though is, as usual, drilling. Since I've consciously drilled one or two go-to moves from mount, I've made a fair bit of progress in attacks from there (although, admittedly, one of those is setting up a triangle where I roll to my back anyway).

With only being a few months into your training, however, you won't really find yourself in mount/side etc. as often as you will find yourself mounted/half guard etc. so it's probably a more effective use of your time to drill subs from your back and a shitload of sweeps and escapes. I think you'll develop faster that way.

And from a self-defense point of view, you needn't worry about running out of ideas when you're on top. If no submissions spring to mind, a few good punches will come naturally enough.

Been there.

You need to find someone and drill constantly from that position.

Rolling is a terrible place to try and learn how to do certain things from scratch. You have to do more situational drilling, meaning that you start in mount on someone and work for something specific until you either get it or they escape, then repeat, then repeat, then repeat.

Pardon the interruption, but how do I get to Carnegie Hall?

But seriously, many people swear by visualization. Take time alone when everything is quiet, and visualize yourself in those positions applying the techniques you've learned.

I didn't know being in dominate position was a problem. I know what you mean, but it's really up to the other guy to get something done.

everyone's right. Keep drilling. The more you practice the better you'll perform. Then even if you do "blank out" you'll still keep moving and doing the techniques that you've been practicing .

In addition to flow rolling, drilling and visualisation, I like watching youtube videos of high level grapplers operating in whatever position I'm having trouble with. It helps me get a better intuitive sense of the patterns that happen there, if that makes any sense.

I have written my game down, so when I get to a set position, I have a list of 3 or 4 things I will do. nothing else.

Revise, practice and drill these moves from each position. then when you are there you will automatically know what to do.

good luck.

I have written my game down, so when I get to a set position, I have a list of 3 or 4 things I will do. nothing else.

Can you say more about that??? I have notes... I have simple lists of techniques from each position.... Maybe you could provide an example of what you mean... Thanks...

I can totally associate with this problem. Most of the subs I pull off are from guard, and when I end up in mount and they just relax (ie. not giving up any mistakes/openings), I'm sometimes left looking a bit clueless.

The answer though is, as usual, drilling. Since I've consciously drilled one or two go-to moves from mount, I've made a fair bit of progress in attacks from there (although, admittedly, one of those is setting up a triangle where I roll to my back anyway).

With only being a few months into your training, however, you won't really find yourself in mount/side etc. as often as you will find yourself mounted/half guard etc. so it's probably a more effective use of your time to drill subs from your back and a shitload of sweeps and escapes. I think you'll develop faster that way.

And from a self-defense point of view, you needn't worry about running out of ideas when you're on top. If no submissions spring to mind, a few good punches will come naturally enough.

I am the exact opposite. I am ALWAYS in side control/ back mount or top mount / top guard and never get a chance to be in the opposite of those positions unless we start there but then it quickly turns in my favor. In fact I have been in those positions so much that I am now purposely going to bottom guard or allowing someone to start in mount/side/back so I can practice those positions.

Sometimes I blank out on what move to do but I have really good control so guys rarely get out of dominant position with me. Only happens when the guy is significant higher belt or has me outweighted by 50 lbs+. Not saying I am great just have really good takedowns/passing and top control.

I HAVE NEVER in 5 months of training now submitted someone off of my back. My bottom game is WEAK!

Back