Meltzer - Info on last 3 PPV numbers

Pretty crazy 187 and 188 combined only did two thirds of 189. Conor bless.

It wouldn't be that weird that the PPV got more viewers than the prelims, casuals want to see Conor, not Alex Garcia or any of the other guys on the prelims.

Here's the thing though. Free tv numbers and PPV numbers are different things. TV ratings are an estimate of the total number of people watching. PPV numbers are the number of houses that ordered the event regardless of how many people are at each house.

So if 840,000 people are watching the prelims that is not 840,000 homes. I will make a complete guess and say an average of 3 people watching per screen. So that is about 280,000 homes.

So if only about 280,00 homes (guesstimated) are watching the prelims but the ppv sold 1,000,000, then there was 720,000 homes where they did not watch the prelims at all but they did order the PPV. I am not an expert on how the numbers usually correlate between prelims and the PPV but that does seem very odd.

Here's the thing though. Free tv numbers and PPV numbers are different things. TV ratings are an estimate of the total number of people watching. PPV numbers are the number of houses that ordered the event regardless of how many people are at each house.

So if 840,000 people are watching the prelims that is not 840,000 homes. I will make a complete guess and say an average of 3 people watching per screen. So that is about 280,000 homes.

So if only about 280,00 homes (guesstimated) are watching the prelims but the ppv sold 1,000,000, then there was 720,000 homes where they did not watch the prelims at all but they did order the PPV. I am not an expert on how the numbers usually correlate between prelims and the PPV but that does seem very odd.

Odd bordering on bizarre bordering on impossible. At UFC 183, the last prelim (Miesha Tate) peaked at almost 2 million, and the PPV (Silva/Diaz) sold 650K. With 3 people watching per screen, that makes some sense - although that was an especially well watched prelim. But there's almost always at least some correlation between how many people watch the prelims and how many people order the PPV. Except UFC 189.

Additional evidence that Cain is not a big PPV draw.

Re bold:
I think it is about 1.4 viewers per TV (based on things I remember from 2014)

Also, it is supposedly an ave of at least 4 set of eyeballs per PPV buy (that makes more sense due to chipping in)

I (obviously) love the numbers/business side of these things & find it a fun companion to the actual sport viewing.

That being said, I don't see tonight breaking 500k.

Additional evidence that Cain is not a big PPV draw.

He must be looked at as a major disappointment to Zuffa.
Injuries, pulling out of fights, failure to deliver the hispanic crowd & losing 2/3 of the prior champions draw.

I don't see any HW as a draw now. If Fedor can do 3-4 big wins than he will be, but that darn age factor

Cormier said UFC187 did 375,000 and Meltzer now confirms it having said 350,000 previously.

McGregor said UFC 189 beat the PPV number of Mayweather/Marquez which puts it above 1,060,000

He spends so much time looking at his usual stats when he's hearing the figures from the horses mouth

Sigh, there is no discrepancy as Meltzer does not have exposure to xbox and internet buys. I wouldn't be surprised if those two channels combined were 15-20% of the total buys.

He must be looked at as a major disappointment to Zuffa.
Injuries, pulling out of fights, failure to deliver the hispanic crowd & losing 2/3 of the prior champions draw.

I don't see any HW as a draw now. If Fedor can do 3-4 big wins than he will be, but that darn age factor

Cain shits the bed every time without fail. Killing Lesnar, bombing on Fox, permanently injured, ruining two cards in Mexico (injury and then crap performance), supposedly atrocious Spanish, etc. HW GOAT? LOL.

Sigh, there is no discrepancy as Meltzer does not have exposure to xbox and internet buys. I wouldn't be surprised if those two channels combined were 15-20% of the total buys.

As of a year ago, it was nowhere near that.
But things do change quickly, but 100k purchasing that way seems very very high

Cormier said UFC187 did 375,000 and Meltzer now confirms it having said 350,000 previously.

McGregor said UFC 189 beat the PPV number of Mayweather/Marquez which puts it above 1,060,000

He spends so much time looking at his usual stats when he's hearing the figures from the horses mouth

I don't remember what numbers Meltzer said 187 did around, but if you are correct & he said UFC did about 350k in buys & then got the final numbers of 375k, than he was pretty on point lol
That is a 6.6% window & certainly would be considered correct (by reasonable people) as 'about"

tv prelims arent a good indicator though, 183 did 1.5 mill for prelims, 184 did 1.3 mill.

Yet 182 only did 1 mill for prelims but did more buys than both 183 184.

185 did same prelim number as 182, yet 182 did 800k buys and 185 did like 300k.

Back