Melendez vs. Alvarez

drewed

White Belt
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been brought up but:

Why not Melendez vs. Alvarez (once/if both are signed) for a #1 contender match.

Winner faces Benson Henderson.

Or is the UFC going to hold back both fighters for two title shots?

Alvarez beats some sense and manners into that boy and then takes the title.

Alvarez beats some sense and manners into that boy and then takes the title.

Bellator would be jazzed if this happened, having the guy who defeated Alvarez as their champ.

Alvarz was just finished 2 fights ago so i dont think he deserves and #1 contender fight just yet. I think Gil could walk into a a title shot or Maynard if Pettis beats Cerrone and give Alvarez the winner of Lauzon/Miller or Diaz

Forgive me if this has been brought up but:

Why not Melendez vs. Alvarez (once/if both are signed) for a #1 contender match.

Winner faces Benson Henderson.

Or is the UFC going to hold back both fighters for two title shots?

Alvarez by decision

i have melendez by decision
IF alvarez doesnt knock him out in the first 2 rounds.

Because Alvarez's only quality win since losing his title to an unranked fighter is the criminally overrated Shinya Aoki, who made a career out of fighting second tier fighters in Japan? Dude is barely top 10 if at all, needs 2 wins in the UFC to even be in the title discussion.

Because Alvarez's only quality win since losing his title to an unranked fighter is the criminally overrated Shinya Aoki, who made a career out of fighting second tier fighters in Japan? Dude is barely top 10 if at all, needs 2 wins in the UFC to even be in the title discussion.

Revisionist history, trolling, or just a new fan talking out of his ass? I really can't tell.

I was just thinking the same thing, I think they should be the TUF Mexico Coaches, their names hint at Spanish or Mexican Latino heritage, only problem is they wouldn't be too recognisible to the casual UFC fan, either way its a great fight!

I love when people base fighter rankings purely on their record rather than performance.

People say Alvarez is a top contender cuz if you've seen him fight you know he's well versed in all areas, not because of who he's beaten.

This is same with Cormier. People give him shit bc he's only beaten Bigfoot and Barnett but if you actually watch the fights you can see how much potential DC really has

Patricky Pitbull is a "quality win".

I like both guys but would have Melendez as the favorite. He's more well-rounded and a smarter fighter. Alvarez puts himself in trouble a lot by not fighting smart and I think Melendez is too experienced to not capitalize on Eddie's mistakes.

Personally, I'd rather see both these guys against some of the mainstays of the UFC than I would them against eachother.

The only reason to have them fight eachother is to give UFC loyalists a chance to call one of them overrated without having to worry about them beating a UFC fighter.

I love when people base fighter rankings purely on their record rather than performance.

People say Alvarez is a top contender cuz if you've seen him fight you know he's well versed in all areas, not because of who he's beaten.

This is same with Cormier. People give him shit bc he's only beaten Bigfoot and Barnett but if you actually watch the fights you can see how much potential DC really has

I agree with you that Alvarez is legit however, don't compare him to Cormier.

I think Melendez has a chance to stop Alvarez because Eddie is rather reckless and makes a habit of getting dropped. Alvarez is very dangerous, though. Would be a great fight.

I'd really like to see what you think of the "contenders" in the UFC at that time since you call Aoki "overrated" even though he had more quality wins then them combined at the time.

i would like to see them both fighting different opponents and getting a title shot if they earn it. I also wouldnt mind seeing Melendez get a title shot right off the bat.

Alverez, melendez and Patrycky pitbull, should be top 10 in the ufc, LW, FW and BW if they could cut.

Back