Mega Gear Review!!

888Shogun888

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recently purchased some stuff from round1fightshop.com. First off my order was processed and sent out pretty quickly. I ordered everything on Friday April 25th. I received my order on Friday the May 2nd. I paid for express 3 day shipping but apparently that was overlooked because it was sent the usual 5-7 business days with UPS. Before I could even say anything to customer service I received an e-mail saying they were sorry for the mix-up and they refunded the difference in price (it was like $15). So all in all I was happy with the website and the service. The prices were good and unlike some other websites there were no mix-ups in sizes. I also received a bunch of extra stuff with the order such as cryogel trial sizes, a ton of stickers or posters from the website and Triumph United and Clinch Gear. I also got afree DVD called "punishment in Paradise". It has some decent fights in there and was a nice freebie.

So this is all the stuff that I got. Clinch Gear plaid Primo Hendo shorts, Triumph United Iceberg shorts, Fairtex Muay Thai 16oz. training gloves, Fairtex and Windy handwraps.

More stuff coming as i post. Just don't want too much in one post.

These gloves are pimp in case you couldn't already tell. I got the 16oz. training gloves for mostly bag and pad work. So far they feel great compared to some of the other ones I have been using (namely generic Everlast and upscale Everlast). Like some have said before each glove fits slightly differently because they are hand made. But the difference is nothing to worry about. They do need a little breaking in as the lower 2 joints of my fingers take a bit of a beating from rubbing around on the inside. The padding is awesome compared to other gloves I have used. I can really go all out for more than 5 rounds without feeling any discomfort or pain. The closure system is very snug but I absolutely need to wear handwraps with them because they are a little large where my hands sit. I also have small hands so whatever. I am using them for bag and pad work right now but in the 16oz. size I would think you would have no problem using them for sparring as well.

I highly recommend these gloves to anyone out there who is in the market for a new pair of gloves. Do yourself (namely your hands and wrists) a favor and spend a little extra $ for quality gloves that will seriously protect your hands. I give these gloves a 10/10 a must have. They were $74.95.

These shorts are great so far. The fabric is top notch and very soft. The fabric is 4 way stretch wherever it is needed and works great. As many other people have stated they are probably the most comfortable shorts I have used so far. They are a little short and do not have split side seams. Usually I like split side seams but as I have used them there is no need for them on these shorts. The length is a little above the knee/ right in the middle, great for kicks and grappling, there are no range of movement issues. They fit pretty tight so you have to make sure that you get the right size. I wear a 36 jean (a little big but I like a little wiggle room) so I ordered a 36 just to be safe. They fit VERY snuggly. But once you get them on they are crazy comfortable. They have a pocket at the bottom of each leg which is obviously for a mouthpiece but also works great for an MP3 player. I am a fan of the outside mouthpiece pocket as opposed to inside.

**More on next post**

I will compare the fit and length to other shorts a bit later as I update with more reviews.

The closure system is in my opinion the best of any short that I have tried. You close them up similar to many other brands and then there is an extra flap that folds over from the top of the waistband to tighten everything up as well as keep the damn itchy velcro away from your skin. Flawless. There is no drawstring but if you do your research and get the right size there is no need for one. These shorts will sit right on my hips and not move an inch through a full workout of grappling or muay thai.

Given the comfort factor, the flawless closure system, attention to detail (no loose threads, tripple stitched everywhere, 2 outside pockets) slick looks (these will be my beach shorts as well) and overall quality I give these shorts a 10/10. Just couldn't find any flaws. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a new pair of shorts. They were $47.95.

I decided to give these shorts a try after I bought some Triumph T-shirts a while back. I was very pleased with the quality and comfort of the T-shirts and am quite pleased with the shorts as well.

I just used these for a muay thai workout and was pretty pleased with how they performed. Very comfortable and made of high quality materials. Triple stitched wherever needed and with very slick embroidery work. At times i like the all black and white design but it would be nice to have more colors or designs to choose from. They look great for what they are but some may find them a bit boring. They fall just at or below the knee and have a small split seam. The closure system is probably the highlight of these shorts. It is very similar to clinch Gear's closure system with the fold over piece a the end from the waistline to cinch everything up and keep the velcro away from your skin. They also have a drawstring which is a nice touch. They do have one inside pocket that fits an MP3 player or mouth piece. I got a size 36 just to be safe as I had conflicting info on the fit. They are a little loose and seem to fit very similar in the waistline to Sprawl shorts. I will probably not be using these for hard grappling as they are a bit loose.

Overall I am very happy with the product. Very comfortable ( if clinch gear is a 10 for comfort then Triumph is tied with Sprawl's with a solid 9) nice embroidery, good length, split seam, and very nice closure system I give these shorts a solid 9/10. I would put these right up there with Sprawl's in pretty much every category. Considering these are only their 2nd release/version of shorts I think they are going to be making waves very soon. At a price of $42 you get a nice bang for your buck.

Just a quick review of some very nice hand wraps that I got.

They are pretty much the exact same product with a different name sewed on. Not that that is a bad thing it was just a little strange that they were pretty much identical. I have used the crap everlast 105" and the everlast mexican style hand wraps before and I will never go back that is for sure. They are very good quality with a nice stretch factor to them. They mold around the hands nicely. Well I guess that's about it.....not much to say about hand wraps. If you have not tried a nicer 180" mexican or thai style hand wrap do yourself and your hands/wrists a favor and pick some up. I will never hit pads or the bag without them again. The fairtex wraps were $11.95 and the Windy's were $8.45. Considering they are pretty much exactly the same go with the Windy's.

I have had these shorts for almost a year now so I decided I would throw up a review with everything else.

Now I think these shorts look BA and that is the main reason why I got them. I didn't bother to do any research and let's just say I learned my lesson. These shorts pretty much suck. They are phenomenally uncomfortable mainly due to the terrible closure system. No matter what you do you can not get the velcro to close up properly and no matter what you do the velcro will irritate the crap out of your skin. Most of the time you get a nice pants tent because the velcro will not close up evenly and the main closure panel with "shogun" on it never sits evenly which leads to the skin irritation. The fit is very tight for a size 36, even tighter than Clinch Gear. The material feels like canvas and is just not nice. The writing is starting to rub off. Once you get them on they do perform pretty well despite the discomfort. They are shorter than any other shorts that I have tried to I usually use them for Muay Thai work. Despite the problems they do perform nicely for muay thai work and the rugged material seems like it is bulletproof.

All in all I would give these shorts a 6/10. Despite the durability and great application for muay thai the comfort level is just too much to overlook.

Some quick comparisons for all the gear heads out there. Left to right they are Koral Shogun Shorts, Sprawl V flex, Triumph United and Clinch Gear.

Length:
- Koral's are the shortest as they sit above the knee.
- Clinch Gear's are next as they sit in the middle of my knee.
- Triumph's are next as they sit below the knee.
- Sprawl's are the longest with about a half and inch on the Triumph's

Waist all 36 inch waist from tightest to loosest(is that a word?):
- Koral's are the tightest. I have never come close to a 38 in anything and I would need a 38 in these shorts.
- Clinch Gear's are next with a very snug but great fit. I would order your exact pant size. If your jeans are snug at 34 get a 34.
- Tie with Triumph's and Sprawl's being pretty much exactly the same. Next time I order either of these I will go with a 34 waist. Both have a drawstring so it is not an issue.

Closure system:
- Clinch Gear's have the best closure system hands down. With adjustable waistband versions coming out soon I expect them to become even better.
- Triumph United are next with a very similar closure system to Clinch's. They also have a drawstring which is nice. It's close but Triumph comes up a bit short.
- Sprawl's are next. I always thought the closure system was nice until I tried to 2 above. nothing really wrong with them but there is room for improvement.
- Koral's are last as they would be more comfortable if I cut off the velcro, most of the waistband and the drawstring and just cinched them on with a crappy belt.

Comfort:
- Clinch Gear takes the cake here. Great materials, great closure system.
- Tie with Sprawls and Triumph's. Both fit very similar and have very similar comfort levels. Triumph's are very similar in most ways to Sprawls.
- Koral....I have said enough.

Overall:
- clinch Gear. Flawless in every facet.
- Tie between Sprawls and Triumph. These shorts are very similar. If you love Sprawls you will love triumphs.
- Koral.

My friend has a pair of 16 oz Fairtex sparring gloves and there awesome. I currently use KO fightgear gloves since they were on sale for cheap and there great for the price (Im a poor student) and ive used my friends fairtex's and they felt like a whole different world.
They feel comfortable, supportive and have a lighter feel to them since i think theres good pad distribution on them and it doesnt pack.

over all good review and some nice gear you got

Very nice review. I'm loving those Clinch Shorts, look badass

Very nice review. I'm loving those Clinch Shorts, look badass

thanks man. yea my friends were making fun of me when I told them I was getting plaid board shorts. Plaid is back bitches! I have 3 plaid Hurley hats that are slick as hell. The shorts are really awesome. I was a Sprawl guy before but I have been converted! I will still pick up the cheap clearance Sprawl's but when I am looking to lay down some money it will go to Clinc Gear everytime. I talked briefly to Erin Crecy from Clinch Gear about their new adjustable waistband line like the ones Hendo wore in the Silva fight

This is what he had to say:

ME:

I was getting ready to buy a pair of the hendo plaid shorts but recently I
have been hearing about new shorts with a drawstring. I was just curious if
there was a time table for when they were going to be released and if the
plaid shorts would be available with the drawstring. I am going to get a
pair regardless but having some info on how long before they are available
and what the styles are going to be like would be great. Thanks guys. As
always love your gear and customer service.

Erin:

Blake,

So sorry for the delayed reply--I have been traveling extensively and am
just catching up. While we do have an adjustable waistband in development,
it will likely not go to production for 6-8 weeks, and then another 8 week
for the actual production run. Realistically, we're looking at a release
date in August or September.

For the record, our waistband construction is prohibitive to drawstrings,
but we believe we have developed a suitable alternative. It simply takes
time to implement, given the various related prototype and considerable
testing.

Best regards,

Aaron Crecy
Clinch Gear

So look forward to some new designs around September. They also look like they have a split side seam. Hendo's shorts in the Rampage and Silva fight both had a split side seam. Not sure if that is purely for Hendo or if it will be in the new line.

Quick Review on Cryogel as i got a few trial sizes from round1fightshop.com with my order. Yesterday was squat day so when I woke up this morning I was pretty sore in the hammy and up close to the groin region. It is a crappy day out so I was getting a little cabin fever and decided I wanted to go hit the heavy bag for a bit. I decided to throw on some Cryogel before the workout to see if I could get rid of a bit of the pain. I was pleased at the cooling sensation that you get right away when I applied it to my legs. I applied more after about 15 min right before i started to workout. There was a nice relief from the pain which made really planting my feet to dig in and throwing kicks much easier. The smell was nice and not at all overly medical. It had a nice botanical and soothing smell. Much like bengay DO NOT PLACE TO CLOSE TO THE TWIGS AND BERRIES!!
Next time I place an order wherever I will be picking up a tube. 8/10 as I have not really tried anything else to compare it to.

Cryogel works very well. I tore a back muscle and the only way I coudl train was with it.

First thing i was told by a cryogel lady when i got a few free samples of Cryogel at NAGA was "Dont put it on your balls".

I think any of those products that is used for sore muscle, is a given you shouldn't put it near your horn :p

I have had these shorts for almost a year now so I decided I would throw up a review with everything else.

Now I think these shorts look BA and that is the main reason why I got them. I didn't bother to do any research and let's just say I learned my lesson. These shorts pretty much suck. They are phenomenally uncomfortable mainly due to the terrible closure system. No matter what you do you can not get the velcro to close up properly and no matter what you do the velcro will irritate the crap out of your skin. Most of the time you get a nice pants tent because the velcro will not close up evenly and the main closure panel with "shogun" on it never sits evenly which leads to the skin irritation. The fit is very tight for a size 36, even tighter than Clinch Gear. The material feels like canvas and is just not nice. The writing is starting to rub off. Once you get them on they do perform pretty well despite the discomfort. They are shorter than any other shorts that I have tried to I usually use them for Muay Thai work. Despite the problems they do perform nicely for muay thai work and the rugged material seems like it is bulletproof.

All in all I would give these shorts a 6/10. Despite the durability and great application for muay thai the comfort level is just too much to overlook.

Thanks for posting this.
I was thinking of ordering some koral shorts myself, and i usually hear nothing but good things about them. I wonder, if you had gotten a larger size for these trunks would you have looked at them differently grade wise ?
Do all koral shorts have these porblems or is it just the custom ones ?

Great pics.

Back