Me working on my lowkicks. And some shadow boxing

Frode, looks good brotha. Hope all is well. Here's my insight, do with it as you will.

Try pressing/driving off that rear foot first vs falling onto the front foot first before you engage your hips into that low kick. Imagine a sprinter coming out of the block, driving off that rear foot. Get's your center of gravity a little lower, keeps your shoulders over top of your hips (leverage). Therefore keeping your arm swing shorter, tighter and closer to your body vs. falling to hard on that front foot first can lead to "flailing" with the swinging arm in order to counterbalance and get your hips engaged.

Looks like you're taking an extra step with your lead foot when doing a left body kick compared to a left low kick. That extra bounce with the lead foot gives away the kick, and if your opponent picks up on the pattern he'll know exactly when you're throwing a low kick or body kick with your lead leg. That would be a bad thing. Try to throw your left body kick with the same footwork as your left low kick; step with the right leg to set the distance & angle and throw the left kick, don't do that little bounce step with the left foot before moving your right leg into position.

Frode, I noticed in your low video (about half way), you threw a couple of kicks more of a horizontal arc and they had more flowing pop in them. I then saw that same flowing pop in your subsequent body kick video. Do you find body kicks easier than leg kicks?

I find leg kicks very easy but higher kicks more difficult, but I also have dodgy hips. I train with a tall rangy southpaw who struggles with leg kicks but can pop them up into your body or face very easily. Perhaps you can help me explain low kicks better to someone who does not favour them as much?

Looks like you're taking an extra step with your lead foot when doing a left body kick compared to a left low kick. That extra bounce with the lead foot gives away the kick, and if your opponent picks up on the pattern he'll know exactly when you're throwing a low kick or body kick with your lead leg. That would be a bad thing. Try to throw your left body kick with the same footwork as your left low kick; step with the right leg to set the distance & angle and throw the left kick, don't do that little bounce step with the left foot before moving your right leg into position.

Are you referring to the "switch step" ? His switch is well executed (quick, balanced). That's just another variation to throwing a lead kick vs. as you've noted regarding the low kick he's throwing, he's still switching (getting lead leg in back) only with a more exagerated and purposeful step. In truth, what he's doing different on the lead low vs body kick is an example of having knowledge using them in practical application. Kicking the body with the lead leg, the target is likely up underneath the elbows or between the waist and lower/mid ribcage of an opponent..... VS the low lead kick he's stepping across and outside of the opponents centerline to get his shin on their lead leg and his head outside of their punching range....... on a body kick, you don't have to get as far outside of your opponents centerline as the kick keeps them (should if thrown well) from being able to really lean or fall forward and throw a punch, it's a "barrier" between you and the opponent. Against a hard kicker, throwing a punch and having it countered with a body kick will ruin you!

Back