Me on Heavy Bag, Critique (No I'm not a random idiot lol)

KylePulley

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey. please offer respectful and helpful critique. M stats are: 21, 6'1, 260lbs (yes I'm out of shape and overweight) some things to note

-I did legs before this, squats, Glute Raises, Deadlifts...so my legs were shot
- This is done after I did the 5 rounds of heavy bag 101 training posted by sinister (so I was gassed)
-Yes my lead hand (right hand) is a little low, I do this on purpose because I am a right handed south paw (although I am almost ambidextrous) So my big weapon is right hook, so I lure people into throwing a jab or their left hook so i can parry, or duck under and land my right hook. Although in this video is lower then normal.

Self Critique---

-Back leg raises when I throw cross sometimes
-After I throw combo's I'm leaving right hand low, should have high after combo, then go back to luring people
-Switch kick kinda sucks lol
-Fail kick at 3:05...o well

Good Things--

-Keep left hand high to avoid right hands (southpaw killers)
-Good power, and swivel in hips (hard to see wearing all black)
- Left kick very nice (should cross face a bit more though)
-Nice dirty boxing
-Good Looking

--BONUS--

If you saw the milfs playing squash behind me, they were eyeing me up lol

well, the critique will have to wait till later...... That said, your surprisingly agile and light on the feet for such a big fella!

When you are jabbing to the body, don't jab from your normal position, drop down so your jab is still going straight out from your face and not going down at an angle.

From the looks of it, at this point you're only a one handed fighter. That's typically the result when a right handed fighter attempts to fight southpaw. You don't seem to possess enough power/coordination in your left to emulate enough power for a fighter to be wary of. A clear sign is in how your throw your crosses with your feet off the ground, which is something you already acknowledged.

Also, try not to "jam" yourself into your opponent when throwing combos. Your jabs are thrown from a good distance, allowing your arm to extend a good amount, but you tend to drive your body into the bag as you throw your jabs, causing for your left cross to hit the bag before ever extending for real power. Basically try and throw combos without lunging so much towards the bag and ending up face to face with it.

Who are the chics playing racket ball behind you?

Names and numbers preeze kthanx

From the looks of it, at this point you're only a one handed fighter. That's typically the result when a right handed fighter attempts to fight southpaw. You don't seem to possess enough power/coordination in your left to emulate enough power for a fighter to be wary of. A clear sign is in how your throw your crosses with your feet off the ground, which is something you already acknowledged.

Also, try not to "jam" yourself into your opponent when throwing combos. Your jabs are thrown from a good distance, allowing your arm to extend a good amount, but you tend to drive your body into the bag as you throw your jabs, causing for your left cross to hit the bag before ever extending for real power. Basically try and throw combos without lunging so much towards the bag and ending up face to face with it.

I agree and dissagree, I think like most people you have been taught that converted south paws don't have power in left hand. Rich Franklin and Jarome Lebanner would dissagree. I can play sports both ways, (hockey, basketball, baseball) and prefer to write left handed (can write with right hand as well) coordination is not a factor. I have good power in my left, I have been told that, people are surprised im a converted south paw. And when you think about it, orthodox fighters are one handed fighter. With weak power in jab, left hook. It works both ways.

If i hadn't told you I was, would you of known? I think not. As far as my cross's your right on. Ill implement that my next session.

What you need is to implement is more time with a trainer to tighten up your technique.

*Arm punches. You slap with your hooks and don't get any legs into them.
*You crowd your punches. Hit that jab at the end of your reach. Same for the straight LT.
*You reach and get your head ahead of your feet. Use your footwork to get you in the right range to punch.
*You're off balance when you kick.
*You're on your heels a lot.

What you need is to implement is more time with a trainer to tighten up your technique.

*You crowd your punches. Hit that jab at the end of your reach. Same for the straight LT.
*You reach and get your head ahead of your feet. Use your footwork to get you in the right range to punch.

I do, and as for your tips

*no...their not arm punches..
*Yes as mentioned above I need to be at a further range when throwing my cross
*I have watched the video, my head is never ahead of my lead foot. Except when Im in clinching or when Im ducking forward (which I should use more leg to duck, and less upper body)
*Switch kick, hell yah I'm off balance lol Left kick, no...I'm pretty stable throwing that. And My legs were dead.
*Yes, but only when I'm out of the pocket. But yes I should be off them (I was gassed)

Why are you asking for critiques if you're just negating them?

It's because he was fishing for compliments more so than actual critiques.

-

Good Things--

-Keep left hand high to avoid right hands (southpaw killers)
-Good power, and swivel in hips (hard to see wearing all black)- Left kick very nice (should cross face a bit more though)
-Nice dirty boxing
-Good Looking

You are not very powerful at all imo for your size.

This pretty much sums it up. You need to spend time with a trainer if you care to get better. I've been training for years and my coaches still pick out flaws in every round I do.

Why are you asking for critiques if you're just negating them?

The wonderful thing about critique's is that it opens a debate. I'm not all high and mighty and know my game is flawed.

If somebody says something, that I feel isn't a problem I'm going to say. But I'm also going to say what I think their right about, and what I feel I should work on. Thats not negating them, it's evaluating their critiques and choosing how to implement them.

As far as looking for compliments, sure, who doesn't like compliments. To hear their hard work is paying off. But no, thats not why I posted this. I posted it so next time when I go back, I have something in my mind to focus and work on. If I wanted complements I would make a training highlight video with music and fancy editing lol.

You are not very powerful at all imo for your size.

Yes I know, When I'm In shape I'm about 225-230lbs. So keep in mind im not a natural 260lb guy lol I'm working on base strength. Squats, bench, deadlifts, farmer walks etc. . I can cut to 205 (i don't fight, i just did it to see if I could.) But still, decent power.

Why is me saying My legs were shot a bad thing? lol that makes no sense to me...They felt like aldente pasta. I'm not used to Oly weightlifting like that.

Why is me saying My legs were shot a bad thing? lol that makes no sense to me...
You made an excuse right off the bat, letting everyone know up front that your technique was going to suck.

When presented with information of this nature, some people will click the link and sincerely try to help you; others will click the link just to witness teh suckage; and the rest will sigh and move along.

I'm going to have to agree with this:

You're also leaning your head in on some of your combos.

I see you train at Bushido Kai. I live in HFX and trained there for a couple years. One thing I found out after training with a Thai friend of mine and going to train in Thailand is they're a little be lacking on some of the details on technique. That's not to say anything bad about the school, in general they're pretty good and had some good people when I went there but having trained there myself they do lack when it comes to teaching some of finer details in body movement and positioning.

Back