McGregor's main sparring partner for Poirier rematch is 2-0 pro fighter

Wait Lobov's gf/wife is gorgeous.

it's pretty obvious McGregor hasn't ever had many real sparring partners, especially in the last few years. Shows how talented he was/is but also shows how arrogant/dumb he is.

Remember when he realized what calf kicks were and the nuances of defending them after getting starched and looking ill equipped against Poirier? That just shows he is completely out of the MMA bubble. Anyone who's been training with real dudes has seen the calf kick in the gym a lot since the mid 2010s, especially in the last three years.

I wonder if Conor has a "no hitting" in the face clause in his sparring. The first time Poirier landed a shot on him Conor folded real fast. If his partner isn't teaching him to weather strikes and push through adversity then they are all wasting their time.

McGregor sparred Artem Lobov to prepare for Jose Aldo, Eddie Alvarez, and Floyd Mayweather. Maybe he should go back to that

The results were good right up until the "sparred artem to prepare for Floyd Mayweather"
<6>

TS:
2Ue1hCn.gif

Just my thoughts.

If only it would happen like that.

I would pay PPV prices!

#PinkySwear!

he's so cheap. the guy's ego is probably so big, he only wants guys he can beat up on. thats why he cracks under adversity every time.

Does it even matter. Most top guys have sparring partners that we don't know anything about. Also the from the description it's looking more like Conor was just generous to give him a go.

Well it looks like TS managed to pull another thread out of his arse

Man I would hope so and sure as hell would hope he has many different partners to work on all aspects of his game.

By "sparring partner", do you mean punching bag hired to make Conor look good ? Do you think that being 2-0 he has anything for Conor ?
Conor’s camps and training partner seem a lot like Ronda’s.

It’s not about challenging them to make them better. It’s all about being a punching bag to build their confidence before the fight.

I don't think that's such a bad thing. I listened to GSP's podcast awhile back on JRE and he talks about training with low level sparring partners and how it helps him.
To sum it up, he basically mentioned that training with higher level sparring partners will make you more hesitant in a fight since they didn't give you as many openings, making the fighter being afraid of being caught in the actual fight.
Mentioning that many high level BJJ practitioners would roll with blue belts to boost their confidence and open up their creativity when they're facing higher level competition.

Now if he's ONLY training with guys of this lower caliber it might open up defensive holes too. Keep a balance between training between higher caliber fighters and mid caliber fighter.

yeah, i think GSP is 100% right. i could see it in gym fights. sometimes a guy would spar with somebody much better, get shutout, and when it's time to fight he's too tentative, giving his opponent the same respect as he did against the better sparring partner.

i don't think people realize how hard it is to get good sparring partners, it's like an art in itself. you need to be good enough to keep him sharp, but still able to let the guy get his work in. so either you need to check your ego so you can let the guy get his work, or you need to be a shittier fighter than he is.

I hope that Poirier decapitates McGregor (again).

The third war absolutely has to happen this year (or in 2022). After all, Poirier is 1-1 against McGregor.

early in his career (aldo) i questioned how he could be world class without world class training partners

well he shut me up for awhile

I sparred with Jorge Rivera a little before he fought Hallman. Im 0-0

Thoughts?

So you dont train...clearly

It important to mix your training partners of varying skills...you cant go all top notch and hard ( thats how injuries or stifled growth happens)..and you cant go all noobs or youll be over confident and lack luster defensively believing the fight will be as easy as the sparring or training...

Like all things in martial arts....balance is key...

Also fake news...getting a few rounds in doesnt.make you the main sparring partner...if he was the main he would of wrote that...not got a few rounds...he would of said thanks champ for letting me be your MAIN training partner...some 2-0 fighters would love to swing on those nuts and be like yea im involved in that camp.. especially if conor somehow wins

Back