• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mcgregor vs Ferguson: KO power not a factor

1 "one punch KO int he UFC". Mostly nobody has 1 punch KOs. You hurt them, then follow up with strikes on the ground. It's normal. He has over a 90% KO/TKO ratio. Stop arguing over words. With that said I don't think Conor KOs him. I think he's UD him with counters throughout the fight while sticking and moving
You really think Conor wins a 5 round UD? I'd think if it goes past middle of 3rd, Tony will take over. I doubt Conor KO's Tony as well. I think either Conor TKO rnd 1 or 2, or Tony by late sub or UD.

Conor is not a power guy he is just insane accurate for mma fighter. If Conor fights like the Alvarez fight he,wins almost as easy .......

It's certainly a factor. And it's the factor Ferguson needs to watch out for most. Conor hits hard and he's accurate. He could definitely starch Tony if Tony shows no respect.

The reason I don't buy it is because people act like Tony is an idiot. I'm sure he's aware of Conor's ability on the feet, and will do what he can to avoid eating clean shots. Tony can get clipped but he's an intelligent pressure fighter. Getting clipped is a usual reality of any fighter who aims at walking his opponents down.

It’s true Tony has a history of getting hurt in his fights but he usually recovers and his heart is next to none the best in UFC.
Sounds just like someone else I can think of.....

rEqWlN.gif

A split decision by the skin of his teeth where he finished the fight on the ground getting punched by Nate. Ferg is a lot better right now than Nate. Conor has 7.5 minutes of fight ending ability. Then Tony wears his ass out.

First, it Wasn't a split decision, it was a majority decision...the difference being...no judge had nate winning...and the rules back then for scoring rounds, sucked ass...if they scored that fight now...conor would have won by a much larger margin....3 knockdowns in 2 rounds...that's a 10-7 and a 10-8 round...and nate took conor down, with like 30 seconds to go...

Tony gets hit 10x more often that nate does...pure standup wise...very very few people can beat nate...the only guys that have beat nate, they used takedowns and trickery....like benson henderson...and tony doesn't take as good a punch as nate does...tony recovers well....but he also gets wobbled alot...

Watch the fight. He gasses at the end of the second. Gets his ass kicked in the third. Then we all think Nate is going to take over and somehow Conor finds a second wind to win the 4th before losing the 5th. Conor wins 3 rounds to 2 while gassed and in trouble. That 4th round, I've been saying it since the fight happened, was the most important 5 minutes in Conors life. He has everything he has today because of that miracle 4th round. It was a 200 million dollar round. Imo.

He gassed at the end of the 2nd in last 30-45 sec, but the 3rd was conserving energy, recovering, and rope-a-doping Nate into punching himself out. No miracle; strategy & composure. The 5th was a tie until the last 10 seconds. The only round that Nate decisively won was the 3rd. Ferg has terrible boxing defense, not even close to Nate's level. Fergy gets murked If he tries to stand or can't takedown Conor.

Already did it twice.
Lol @ Conor nut huggers. Dude has dog shit cardio so they use a fight where he laid and prayed and fight where he took two entire rounds off to tell you how good his cardio is. Does it hurt being that stupid?

He gassed at the end of the 2nd in last 30-45 sec, but the 3rd was conserving energy, recovering, and rope-a-doping Nate into punching himself out. No miracle; strategy & composure. The 5th was a tie until the last 10 seconds. The only round that Nate clearly won was the 3rd. Ferg has terrible boxing defense, not even close to Nate's level. Fergy gets murked If he tries to stand or can't takedown Conor.
Lay off the meth bro.

leg kicks and closing the distance
closing the distance will be the fast end for mcg

Precision beats power, timing beats speed. And to add some context, Conor scored his first UFC KO in his 7th fight. Vitor scored his first UFC KO in his 14th fight.

First, it Wasn't a split decision, it was a majority decision...the difference being...no judge had nate winning...and the rules back then for scoring rounds, sucked ass...if they scored that fight now...conor would have won by a much larger margin....3 knockdowns in 2 rounds...that's a 10-7 and a 10-8 round...and nate took conor down, with like 30 seconds to go...

Tony gets hit 10x more often that nate does...pure standup wise...very very few people can beat nate...the only guys that have beat nate, they used takedowns and trickery....like benson henderson...and tony doesn't take as good a punch as nate does...tony recovers well....but he also gets wobbled alot...
I'll give the edge to Tony, he has the gas tank, intangibles and a lot more ways to win. I never said Conor has no chance he could murk him in one (physically possible). What I always say is this fight just needs to get made, regardless of what anyone thinks will be the outcome.

Last edited:
Conor soundly outstruck Max Holloway, who has improved greatly, but even at the time of their fight Max had better striking than Tony. Cucuy is just one of those awkward moving mind fuck fighters, like Rothwell
"but even at the time of their fight Max had better striking than Tony"

You're fucking reaching on that statement.

I agree TS I think Conor is very accurate with his punches and his punches do have a lot of pop to them. But I find he's far more effective when he's dictating the pace and walking you down and that's usually against smaller type fighters.

No way Conor walks down a guy like Tony, in fact I think if this fight happens we see a cautious Conor not wanting to gas, not wanting to walk into a mistake, and like many who get a belt fighting not to lose. I think Tony's crazy style keeps Conor from implementing his own style. Conor looses all his cage mystique when his opponent is not intimidated (ala Diaz).

Conor's KO power is only present under perfect circumstances, 9/10 it's accuracy & pop that usually gets his fight stopped. But to read Connie's talk about his power you would think people fall down when he waves his hand.

Conors power is so damn overrated lol. Many have realized this but some havent, he doesnt have one punch KO power. The floyd fight proved just how much power he really has.

Hes just accurate and Tkod a bunch of manlets and bums that rushed in against him. He wont one punch KO tony it just wont happen. He might not even knock him down, to beat tony he is going to have to outlast tonys pace, and keep him on the end of his punches for a whole 5 rounds. I just cant see him doing that eventually he will start getting tagged himself and will probably end up getting tired out and submitted at some point.

"but even at the time of their fight Max had better striking than Tony"

You're fucking reaching on that statement.

Where has this idea come from that Ferguson has elite level striking? He pressures guys using his dodgy movement and great cardio.

Precision beats power, timing beats speed. And to add some context, Conor scored his first UFC KO in his 7th fight. Vitor scored his first UFC KO in his 14th fight.
And Ferguson scored his first UFC KO never.

People forget that the only trouble Tony will have in the entire fight is 1.5 rounds of Conor putting in 100% effort to get the KO. If he survives it, it's an easy win for him.

Back