Mcgregor to Aldo what Chael was to Anderson.

title not matching OP is always fun.

yeah, Sonnen was a top 5 guy, but not the clear #2 guy, yet potentially a tough fight. There's the comparison.

other than that, Aldo's a fast, explosive striker, but is flatfooted. Conor has the best footwork at FW, something Aldo hasn't faced aside from Hominick, who's distance is closer than Conor's and who stays at that range rather than moves in and out. Conor also has power and a chin, unlike Hominick, and Aldo's not been deadly on the ground.

Sonnen was a clown/jobber and McGregor is a real fighter with skill

The big thing you need to consider when looking at power though is the quality of opposition faced, Aldo vs low/mid level guys left a trail of destruction and I think he would again today.

Connar's foot movement is good I agree but the big potential weakness I see vs Aldo is his head movement and hand speed, for a 145er he's really not that quick. I won't be at all supprized if he takes a hell of a lot of punishment in boxing exchanges with Aldo.

I don't think Conor needs a speed advantage to put Aldo out. He operates in a similar vein to Weidman.

Weidman has the ability to be successful on the feet due to the angles he cuts combined with his wrestling threat. This allows him to dictate the action and position himself perfectly. In that regard he can hang with vastly superior strikers on the feet.

Conor operates in a similar vein albeit with a different method. He is an elite striker with elite movement. He dictates the action through his control and movement. He can utilise attacks which herd the opposition into the strongest areas of his attack.

When you add his length and his superior boxing ability he puts his opponent in significant trouble. We saw how the Mendes 'wrestling' threat stifled Aldo's kicking game. Conor can achieve the same thing through the use of movement. His ability to lead can effectively push Aldo out of any significant position to continually land.

It's such a ridiculous call to be so confident in Conor knocking Aldo out. Jose is close to the pound for pound best fighter and only a bit over a year ago I was posting how there is nobody that can't touch him in the foreseeable future.

That being said, I've never been more confident of an MMA result before. Everything Aldo does matches up horribly to Conor's style.

Conor will take Aldo's head CLEAN off.

8dZZTx6.gif

Sonnen was a clown/jobber and McGregor is a real fighter with skill

You are implying that Chael does not have skills?
For a fighter that does not have skills, he sure did make Anderson look bad for 95% of their first fight.

I find Conor a more credible threat going in, but Chael surprised the shit outta me, his performance was amazing. Until we see the fight we really can't tell, I mean if Conor wins the comparison doesn't make much sense.

In terms of hype and pre title shot dominance I can see the comparison.

The one way Conor and Chael pose similar threats is in the head games, they've both got an almost sociopathic ability to raise the stakes and pressure to unprecedented levels. Imo Anderson kinda folded at times in the build up to the first fight, he could handle the pressure of defending himself but when he had to defend his country, his camp, the Nogueiras etc.. I always felt the stakes were too high for him. Wonder how Aldo handles the added pressure.

title not matching OP is always fun.

yeah, Sonnen was a top 5 guy, but not the clear #2 guy, yet potentially a tough fight. There's the comparison.

other than that, Aldo's a fast, explosive striker, but is flatfooted. Conor has the best footwork at FW, something Aldo hasn't faced aside from Hominick, who's distance is closer than Conor's and who stays at that range rather than moves in and out. Conor also has power and a chin, unlike Hominick, and Aldo's not been deadly on the ground.

Aldo destroyed Faber on the ground and mounted Florian several times. So far from the little we've seen I think his ground game has looked very impressive.

Back