McG vs Khabib - The oversight

The title made it seem like it would be some kind of objective analysis. But in fact it was just your opinion which seems heavily biased towards Conor.
Dude, didn't you make a thread saying you can't see how Conor can win?

This thread is definitely less bias than that one lol

Khabib is an overrated WW. He's going to have to finish Conor early which he has shown a complete inability to do. Even Michael Johnson almost survived 3 rounds.

what does saying khabib is an over rated ww have to do with anything. he never fought at ww.

Stopped right there. He had about 4 minutes, and he absolutely thrashed Conor on the ground for a few of those minutes. Anyone who isn't a moron should have known that fight was all Conor if it got out of the first round.

I haven't seen Khabib get tired to the point of exhaustion. I've seen Conor get tired, and i've seen Conor wilt under pressure. If Khabib gets him down and roughs him up in Rd. 1 and 2, I'm pretty sure it's over.
Conor stopped takedowns and got out of takedowns multiple times in the first round

Mendes split Conor's face open with shots on the ground. Khabib is going to rearrange that face.

He DID take damage from Mendes and could not have survived another round or two of GnP because the ref would have stopped it, if he didn't go out.

Right...

60jvrJ2.gif

vTJWf8o.gif

Trujillo, Healy, RDA, Barboza and Iaquinta. Khabib did not put them away. He took them down, put in good work and when they got back up he put them down again... But he could not put them away...

Chad Mendes had 2 rounds of high energy, motivation, will, skill and power to cause as much damage as he possibly could to a “helpless” McGregor... He was unable to cause any significant damage.

People want to say Conor is useless on the ground, he is not. Is he a worldclass wrestler like Khabib, of course not but is Khabib a world class striker like Conor, no. That hasn’t stopped either of them from reaching the top.

If Conor does not land early and does indeed get taken down, this fight is not over. He is good enough on the ground to minimize damage and he is willful and skillful enough to make every moment in the stand up a dangerous one for Khabib.

This fight is a tossup and anyone claiming to know otherwise is probably just trying to push their guy.

Ladies and gentleman, this is the fight we have all been waiting for. This is the classic of classics, the striker vs the wrestler, the Anderson vs Gsp that we never got to see. I hope everyone can put their bs to the side and just sit back and enjoy the greatest show in the world.
I'm definitely going to enjoy this fight 100%. I'd love to see Conor take it purely for entertainment value. I would be very impressed to see Conor finish Khabib. So difficult to take out an elite grappler.

He DID take damage from Mendes and could not have survived another round or two of GnP because the ref would have stopped it, if he didn't go out.

Props to Conor for getting up and winning the Mendes fight.

These two sentences are conflicting

How would he have gone out or why would the ref have stopped it if Mendes could not hold Conor down? Conor was stopping takedowns and standing up from bottom position in the first round....

Just wait till this fight is official

This place is gonna be such a shit show

No camp Mendes and Khabib are not quite the same animal.

Good try though.

Chad is a way better finisher though
true. he goes for the kill. Khabib is patient with his wins lately. I believe Khabib would make a statement to finish Conor when he has him on the mat.

Chad and Khabib both have 26 fights and Khabib has 6 more finishes.

Thing is Conor wasn't piecing him up late in the fight, even with Nates hands down, he was running and being pointed at.

Conor won the fight with his damage in round 4, and only lost the 5th against Diaz due to a last second takedown by him so that's simply not true.

He was even taken down by a tired Nate at the end of the fight,Khabib should be able to taked him down as well tired

He also defended 5 TDs that round and got taken down with only seconds left in the round. If that happens with Khabib that's not a good thing for Khabib as that'll mean he had to stand with Conor for nearly an entire round and was repeatedly stuffed.

Last edited:

How would he have gone out or why would the ref have stopped it if Mendes could not hold Conor down? Conor was stopping takedowns and standing up from bottom position in the first round....
Er, what?

I gave Conor props for getting up. That wasn't easy. If he hadn't gotten up he'd have lost the fight.

Don't see how that was confusing

Trujillo, Healy, RDA, Barboza and Iaquinta. Khabib did not put them away. He took them down, put in good work and when they got back up he put them down again... But he could not put them away...

Chad Mendes had 2 rounds of high energy, motivation, will, skill and power to cause as much damage as he possibly could to a “helpless” McGregor... He was unable to cause any significant damage.

People want to say Conor is useless on the ground, he is not. Is he a worldclass wrestler like Khabib, of course not but is Khabib a world class striker like Conor, no. That hasn’t stopped either of them from reaching the top.

If Conor does not land early and does indeed get taken down, this fight is not over. He is good enough on the ground to minimize damage and he is willful and skillful enough to make every moment in the stand up a dangerous one for Khabib.

This fight is a tossup and anyone claiming to know otherwise is probably just trying to push their guy.

Ladies and gentleman, this is the fight we have all been waiting for. This is the classic of classics, the striker vs the wrestler, the Anderson vs Gsp that we never got to see. I hope everyone can put their bs to the side and just sit back and enjoy the greatest show in the world.
Omg, are you saying that the dwarf mini mendes is the same as khabib nurmagomedov? Mini mendes couldn't even spell ground and pound when compared to khabib, did you see what he did to barboza? He could've finished him, but he chose to go the 3 rounds he even said that b4 the fight.

Trust me connor will get the worst beating of his life, and that's just the fact of the matter.

Conor won the fight with his damage in round 4, and only lost the 5th against Diaz due to a last second takedown by him so that's simply not true.

He also defended 5 TDs that round and got taken down with only seconds left in the round. If that happens with Khabib that's not a good thing for him.
Fair points. I like your av, fucking awesome.

You're being narrow minded.

Mendes had Conor pinned on his back for the vast majority of round 2. Thus, he absolutely could hold him down after landing another TD. Chad, in theory, could have landed another TD and controlled Conor for a large portion of the 3rd as well. Nothing is conflicting about that statement imo.

HOWEVER, I don't think Mendes could have made a comeback in that fight. He was gassed and hurt bad. I think that Chad's top game is poorly suited to pin Conor down. The majority of Conor's defense on the ground comes from his sweeps. Specifically his sweeps from the bottom of guard. Chad is far too complacent in guard to properly lock down Conor. Instead of trying to pass and lock dowm Conor's tools for escape, he went for a Guillotine directly off of his pass. Thus, giving Conor the space he needed to sweep.

Conor ate some mean shots from Chad while in guard but he locked up Chad's movement well enough to force a sweep opportunity. It was a very good performance by Conor.

true. he goes for the kill. Khabib is patient with his wins lately. I believe Khabib would make a statement to finish Conor when he has him on the mat.

Chad and Khabib both have 26 fights and Khabib has 6 more finishes.
Doing things outside your character isn't a good idea against Conor imo.

he should play it safe imo. It's true Conor is prone to getting exhausted at elite levels

Doing things outside your character isn't a good idea against Conor imo.

he should play it safe imo. It's true Conor is prone to getting exhausted at elite levels
But is it really outside his character? He prolonged the beatings he gave in his past 3 fights to get cage time. He talked about it in interviews. Working on cardio, feeling out post surgery, working standup. I think he will go into the fight with full intent to win the best way possible.

There was a moment in the Barboza fight where he gave up his back/neck and Khabib started to go for a sub and bailed to continue working.

Back