Mayweather's fighting habits...

Code N

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When he's ready to throw a punch he moves his feet farther apart, and strikes. And when he's waiting for a counter he keeps his feet closer together.

He rarely throws punches with his feet close together; he mostly waits for counters in that position.

Was that obvious, or am I the the only who was in the dark about this?

Offtopic: I didn't know Rigondeaux switched trainers. Does anybody know why?

I am sure every single opponent would know this with a trainer watching tapes. They can find all this type of shit .

I am sure every single opponent would know this with a trainer watching tapes. They can find all this type of shit .

Yeah, I guess that is true.

but sometimes when I watch some of his fights it seems like some of his opponents were left in the dark about it. Maybe it's because he's kind of fast. I didn't realize some of his habits until I saw the Marquez fight again today on Youtube.

Yea...Some guys are so good at what they do that even when you can find a weakness it dont even help.

Like people said D. Marino was not mobile. Yet he had the quickest release in the NFL so not being mobile did not matter.

You try to dictate something to PBF, and tell me how that works out for you.

im sure most fighters who fight him know this but knowing and being and to capitalize against a boxer as skilld as PBF is another story.

Offtopic: I didn't know Rigondeaux switched trainers. Does anybody know why?

Junior featherweight Guillermo Rigondeaux, a two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist who defected last year and is one of boxing's top prospects, injured his back and withdrew Wednesday from his fight on Saturday night.

Rigondeaux (5-0, 4 KOs) was scheduled to face experienced Reynaldo Lopez (30-7-3, 21 KOs) of Colombia at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., on the undercard of the Andre Berto-Carlos Quintana welterweight title bout. HBO, which is televising, was slated to air highlights of Rigondeaux's bout, which is unusual for a fighter with so little pro experience.

However, Rigondeaux, citing a sore back after some rough sparring with a welterweight, pulled out, show promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com.

"He said he hurt his back. What can I tell you? He pulled out," DiBella said.

However, Rigondeaux (5-0, 4 KOs) is also changing trainers, which may be part of the reason for his withdrawal, although his promoter, Luis DeCubas, said the injury was legitimate.

There was a lot of hype surrounding Rigondeaux's pairing with trainer Freddie Roach last summer. After working out with Rigondeaux for the first time, Roach compared the feeling he got working with him to the way he felt when he first worked out with Manny Pacquiao, who went on to become the pound-for-pound king. But now Rigondeaux and Roach have split, DeCubas told ESPN.com.

"His feeling is he's a two-time gold medal winner and he went all the way out there and felt there were too many fighters in the gym," DeCubas said of Roach's Wild Card gym in Hollywood, Calif. "Nobody was picking him up in the morning to run and he felt he should have been sparring with lighter guys, not 150-pounders. He wasn't getting enough attention from Freddie. He's very disappointed."

Roach, however, was unhappy with Rigondeaux's conditioning and didn't want him to fight Saturday, according to a source close to the trainer.

DeCubas said Rigondeaux is back in Miami, where he is based, looking for a trainer.

Guillermo Rigondeaux withdraws from fight, splits with trainer Freddie Roach - ESPN

One of the best examples of this can be seen in the Muhammad Ali/Cleveland Williams fight. Notice the difference in the width of his feet while Ali's jabbing as a defensive maneuver to set up his movement compared to when he's jabbing to set up another punch. Maybe the most amazing part of it all, or most frustrating if you're Cleveland Williams, is how quickly he's able to transition between the two approaches. The first knockdown (5:20) was a ridicules example of this; Ali jabbing on the move then seeing an advantage, resetting his feet and throwing a one-two all in one motion. It's so quick that he made that movement seemingly without anchoring his back foot.

im sure most fighters who fight him know this but knowing and being and to capitalize against a boxer as skilld as PBF is another story.

Yeah; guys like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Sergio Martinez, Rigondeaux, and Gamboa all have a noticeable shift in their footwork as they switch mindsets. But the they transition so seamless that unless you've got the timing, knowledge, and skills of a Bernard Hopkins, have an activity level of a Paul Williams or provide the relentless pressure of an Antonio Margarito, you'll have to beat them in their own environment.

Last edited:
Back