• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Mayberry Movie Club: Week 30 Nominations

What should we watch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
Each week club members will vote on a film to watch. Then the following week we'll discuss it. Anyone is welcome to join in the discussions. If you want to become a member then let me know.

Members: @Cubo de Sangre @Dirt Road Soldier @MusterX @sickc0d3r @Tufts @Zer @NewJerseyNick @websurfer @revoltub

Honorary tags: @JayPettryMMA

• Each Sunday night (6-10pm Hawaii time) I'll post two threads
  • One thread is the movie we've all voted on to watch
  • The other is the voting for the week after's film
  • Voting will end Thursday night, which gives everyone Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to watch the film to be discussed (but you can watch after that and chime in anytime during the week)
  • All members are eligible to vote
  • All members who commented on the current week's film are eligible to nominate for the next week's vote, so once you've commented you can PM me an IMDB link of your next nomination
  • If you don't want to watch the current film you can watch a previous film that you missed and after commenting on it you can submit a new nomination.
  • If you miss 3 consecutive weeks your votes won't count until you start contributing again
  • Multiple votes will be allowed each week (2 or 3 depending on the number of choices)
  • You'll be allowed to change your vote
  • You can vote for your own movie
  • You must cast your allotted number of votes
  • If it's a tie then the judges decide the tiebreaker (I'm the judges so don't leave it in the hands of the judges)
  • If after the initial signup period we are over 10 members then new members will be treated as pledges and will have to view and comment for a few weeks before they're allowed to nominate and vote
  • The first Sunday of each month will be a theme week. We'll go in order of the tag list to decide who gets to choose the theme

Now for the nominees. Members are allowed three votes each this week. Keep in mind the format here is open for feedback and future change.

MARCH OF THE PENGUINS (2005)

"In the Antarctic, every March since the beginning of time, the quest begins to find the perfect mate and start a family."

51fvLhfOxVL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Cubo de Sangre thinks we should watch it: Because fuck you if you don't like penguins.

WATERWORLD (1995)

"In a future where the polar ice-caps have melted and Earth is almost entirely submerged, a mutated mariner fights starvation and outlaw "smokers," and reluctantly helps a woman and a young girl try to find dry land."

516XHNYKADL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Dirt Road Soldier thinks we should watch it: I am drawing an odd blank on this theme, so I went with a favorite of mine.

ANNIHILATION (2018)

"A biologist signs up for a dangerous, secret expedition into a mysterious zone where the laws of nature don't apply."

91y2R6ok2HL._SY445_.jpg

Why @MusterX thinks we should watch it: Because its been environmentally approved!

THE WITCH (2015)

"A family in 1630s New England is torn apart by the forces of witchcraft, black magic, and possession."

813EqR3NC1L._SY445_.jpg

Why @sickc0d3r thinks we should watch it: Looks like there’s lots of environment in this, and it’s a real dick. So let’s watch it! And then, you know, like, talk about it.

ADRIFT (2018)

"A true story of survival, as a young couple's chance encounter leads them first to love, and then on the adventure of a lifetime as they face one of the most catastrophic hurricanes in recorded history."

71aqsKnDf8L._SY445_.jpg

Why @Tufts thinks we should watch it: One of the best executed and acted horror shark movies out there.

FITZCARRALDO (1982)

"The story of Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald, an extremely determined man who intends to build an opera house in the middle of a jungle."

A1LgwFq2iVL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Zer thinks we should watch it: This is a spectacular Werner Herzog film about a man determined to bring opera to the jungle, but facing an immense challenge from the terrain he turns to the locals to help with the seemingly impossible task of hauling a river boat over a small mountain. It stars Klaus Kinski in all his eccentric glory. This is a fine film that I've never seen being recommended or mentioned whenever Herzog is brought up and hopefully I can introduce some people to it.

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD (2012)

"Faced with both her hot-tempered father's fading health and melting ice-caps that flood her ramshackle bayou community and unleash ancient aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy must learn the ways of courage and love."

818FuIHPONL._SY445_.jpg

Why @websurfer thinks we should watch it: It takes the New Orleans flooding and adds a nice story to it.

THE EDGE (1997)

"An intellectual billionaire and two other men struggle to band together and survive after getting stranded in the Alaskan wilderness with a blood-thirsty Kodiak Bear hunting them down."

511J1WPA9XL._SY445_.jpg

Why @revoltub thinks we should watch it: Hopkins and baldwin vs a bear. Enough said.

God damn, some great films this week.

Edit: Oh god, I forgot how hilarious the trailer to Waterworld was. Jesus christ what were they thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrift sucks I remember my ex gf dragging me to that crap

It's the reason she's my ex now

I thought waterworld was be a @Zer pick

Leaving disappointed

I'm a huge Costner fan, and his three epics are all on my yearly rewatch list. A filthy addiction I must say.

what the heck, why can't i vote, i thought this was america, not communist russia

Waterworld was a pretty good documentary. It's hard to imagine how the world got back to normal after that, but apparently, it did, because we are here. The Edge was pretty good, especially since Alec didn't shoot anyone on set...that we know of, anyway.

Waterworld was a pretty good documentary. It's hard to imagine how the world got back to normal after that, but apparently, it did, because we are here. The Edge was pretty good, especially since Alec didn't shoot anyone on set...that we know of, anyway.

The bear in The edge is great. Smarter and more cunning and a better performance than 95% of villains these days.

Back