• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Mayberry Movie Club: Week 29 Nominations

What should we watch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
Each week club members will vote on a film to watch. Then the following week we'll discuss it. Anyone is welcome to join in the discussions. If you want to become a member then let me know.

Members: @Cubo de Sangre @Dirt Road Soldier @MusterX @sickc0d3r @Tufts @Zer @NewJerseyNick @websurfer @revoltub

Honorary tags: @JayPettryMMA

• Each Sunday night (6-10pm Hawaii time) I'll post two threads
  • One thread is the movie we've all voted on to watch
  • The other is the voting for the week after's film
  • Voting will end Thursday night, which gives everyone Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to watch the film to be discussed (but you can watch after that and chime in anytime during the week)
  • All members are eligible to vote
  • All members who commented on the current week's film are eligible to nominate for the next week's vote, so once you've commented you can PM me an IMDB link of your next nomination
  • If you don't want to watch the current film you can watch a previous film that you missed and after commenting on it you can submit a new nomination.
  • If you miss 3 consecutive weeks your votes won't count until you start contributing again
  • Multiple votes will be allowed each week (2 or 3 depending on the number of choices)
  • You'll be allowed to change your vote
  • You can vote for your own movie
  • You must cast your allotted number of votes
  • If it's a tie then the judges decide the tiebreaker (I'm the judges so don't leave it in the hands of the judges)
  • If after the initial signup period we are over 10 members then new members will be treated as pledges and will have to view and comment for a few weeks before they're allowed to nominate and vote
  • The first Sunday of each month will be a theme week. We'll go in order of the tag list to decide who gets to choose the theme

Now for the nominees. Members are allowed two votes each this week. Keep in mind the format here is open for feedback and future change.

THE DEER HUNTER (1978)

"An in-depth examination of the ways in which the Vietnam War impacts and disrupts the lives of several friends in a small steel mill town in Pennsylvania."

71+cROB-poL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Cubo de Sangre thinks we should watch it: If the club watches only one war movie it should be this one. Epic. Powerful. A true "must see" for any fan of cinema. And considering current events, it might prompt some thoughtful discussion.

3:10 TO YUMA (2007)

"A small-time rancher agrees to hold a captured outlaw who's awaiting a train to go to court in Yuma. A battle of wills ensues as the outlaw tries to psych out the rancher."

61O2Hbb6pAL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Dirt Road Soldier thinks we should watch it: Its not often we get a remake that equals or outshines the original, but this one pulls it off!

THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY (1999)

"In late 1950s New York, Tom Ripley, a young underachiever, is sent to Italy to retrieve Dickie Greenleaf, a rich and spoiled millionaire playboy. But when the errand fails, Ripley takes extreme measures."

51XGw7PWq2L._SY445_.jpg

Why @MusterX thinks we should watch it: I've always enjoyed this film and haven't seen it in a while. Its one of the early indicators that Ben Affleck was lucky he knew the much more talented Mr. Damon.

NIGHTMARE ALLEY (2021)

"An ambitious carny with a talent for manipulating people with a few well-chosen words hooks up with a female psychiatrist who is even more dangerous than he is."

813-pSZTJgL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Tufts thinks we should watch it: Coz Guillermo del Toro.....

HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE (2004)

"When an unconfident young woman is cursed with an old body by a spiteful witch, her only chance of breaking the spell lies with a self-indulgent yet insecure young wizard and his companions in his legged, walking castle."

51ROjdVz1uL._SY445_.jpg

Why @Zer thinks we should watch it: This was my second Miyazaki movie after Nausicaa and I thought it was pretty incredible both in terms of its looks and its story, which also carries with it a strong anti-war message.

THE STREET FIGHTER (1974)

"After failing to reach a deal with her enemies, a mercenary karate master decides to protect the daughter of a recently deceased oil tycoon from the evil conglomerate that's after her inheritance."

81Z6KbQL7OL._SY445_.jpg

Why @revoltub thinks we should watch it: It's grindhouse classic with very good fight scenes and a great antihero lead in Sonny Chiba that I think the club will have fun with.

I strongly recommend Nightmare Alley
I watched it a couple days ago and was blown away by how amazing it was, a modern masterpiece

Nightmare Alley and Howl's Moving Castle are solid choices.

Nightmare Alley is available on HBOMAX and Hulu!

The first movie I nominated that won in the old club was

upload_2022-3-3_18-40-22.jpeg from 2006.

We've come full circle!

Back