• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Mayberry Movie Club Week 28: Pig (2021)

What's your rating for this film?

• 2 Stars: Skip it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So, I gave this movie a 5 which is pretty rare for me. But the way I see it, this movie hits several marks for greatness and does it so well I can't help but recommend that everyone at least try to watch the movie, even if it isn't their genre of choice.

This is a rare type of movie, as it blends a whole host of themes together but does it in such a slow paced and calm manner that you just can't help but wait for the action to start. But the thing is, it never does. Aside from a quick bit of action at the start and a fairly random but entertaining fight scene halfway through, this movie keeps it's calm pace throughout. You never get the instant gratification of the story reaching it's crescendo, it's final peak is a moment of peace and tranquility where you can just feel the amount of emotion running through the room. You have a story of loss, of love, and of revenge all coming together not in a fit of violence, but in a bittersweet moment where the 'big bad' of the movie is taught a lesson in a way that is beyond physical pain, but cuts him straight to the core mentally and emotionally. Its such a gut wrenching scene that you almost feel bad for the guy, even knowing that you shouldn't.

Cage, my god. Cage stepped up to the plate, and gave this movie the performance of a lifetime. No wackiness, no over the top, just a straight cut acting job that hit every mark it needed to in a way that you almost forget this is the same actor that made Face Off. It's very rare that you see an actor that generally gets shoehorned into certain types of acting really get a chance to step outside and put on a show just to blow a person away with just how GOOD they are. Cage slow burns the entire movie, but you can almost feel his desperation and how hurt his character is as the story unfolds. Just his subtle way of speaking, his demeanor, everything he does just catches the essence of the scene so well.

But what really gets me is the overall story. As I stated before, this is a movie that covers several themes. The love/loss relationship is a recurring theme in the movie, even in scenes where you don't realize it like when he is in his former restaurant which is now a bakery, and he discovers his staff kept it going hoping he would return. But it also has a theme of revenge in a way, where Rob has to go to great lengths to get what he wants so he becomes as cruel as he can to get his answers. The process of which circles back to the love/loss theme, which is a remarkable feat for any movie to accomplish. And it ends with him returning back to his home and coming full circle back to the love of his wife, and the pain of losing her.

I just can't put into words how amazing this movie was to me, and how it sticks with me even well after I have watched it. I can see scenes replaying in my head over and over again, just thinking about how good they were and how each scene seemed custom fit for it's moment in the film. It's all just so well written, so well shot, and so well acted I feel like NOT recommending people see this movie would almost be insulting to it.

Back