• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Mayberry Movie Club Week 28: Pig (2021)

What's your rating for this film?

• 2 Stars: Skip it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's pretty amazing how much i started liking the pig just from that first little scene. Adorable little chonker.

I was sort of looking forward to seeing the pig again all movie.

Very likable pig and you like her more because of how much Nic cares about her, praising her for finding truffles he could have found himself. If he'll go to the trouble of taking a pig along and pretending she found the truffles - like letting your little brother beat you at basketball - then how can the audience not like the pig too.

Movie should have got some Oscar attention over the junk that got nominated.

I once said Sylvester Stallone’s face has morphed into a circus artist’s caricature of his younger self. Well, Cage’s career is the acting equivalent of Sly’s face.

Funny-Animal-Laughing-Sea-Lion-Picture.jpg

I think they were sort of poking fun at the food industry, particularly the high end food industry. There was a bit of reverence there and the film makes clear that there is a love of food happening, but it also has the underground fight club, because as you say, chefs are often dick heads, but then there is also that conversation in the restaurant where Robin tells chef Finway, "Why do you care? These people don't know you, they don't want to know you, and they don't care about you." I think Robin is basically telling him, don't take yourself so seriously, these people don't give a shit about you. That statement is juxtaposed later in the film when Robin tells Amir's dad, "I remember every meal I ever cooked. I remember ever person I ever served." I don't quite understand how these two statements relate to one another but I know they do.

Seems like Cage is saying that what's important (.i.e. most satisfying) is for you to care about what you're serving and how it makes people feel, not the the other way around.

Very likable pig and you like her more because of how much Nic cares about her, praising her for finding truffles he could have found himself. If he'll go to the trouble of taking a pig along and pretending she found the truffles - like letting your little brother beat you at basketball - then how can the audience not like the pig too.

I generally think you are right because Robin said the trees told him where the truffles were, but pigs also find truffles. They've been used for that task for a long time and she probably made it easier knowing the exact spot for him to dig, but yea, overall, you're right, he just loved the pig, not so much needed the pig. Let me amend that, he needed the pig, just no so much for finding truffles.

As far as Oscar buzz, I 100% agree. Not only was Cage phenomenal as Robin Feld, the film presented some deep ideas about life and loss without really holding the viewers hand or sugar coating it. It was way better than I thought it was going to be.

Seems like Cage is saying that what's important (.i.e. most satisfying) is for you to care about what you're serving and how it makes people feel, not the the other way around.

Its for you, not for them, which is why he questions chef Finway about the English Pub he wanted to open and pretty much ripped his psyche out in a matter of 4 minutes by saying you idiot, these people don't care about you, where is your pub!

<TheWire1>

It's pretty amazing how much i started liking the pig just from that first little scene. Adorable little chonker.

I was sort of looking forward to seeing the pig again all movie.

I was pretty upset when Robin found out she was dead, killed the same night by meth heads that were "too rough." They probably beat her to death to make her stop squealing. This movie has a way of putting it in your mind without even showing it.

Its for you, not for them, which is why he questions chef Finway about the English Pub he wanted to open and pretty much ripped his psyche out in a matter of 4 minutes by saying you idiot, these people don't care about you, where is your pub!

<TheWire1>

That scene was great. One of the few laughs was homie interrupting himself to ask Cage if he needed medical attention. :D

That chef wanted Cage to be impressed with his food. Cage wanted to be impressed with the chef's heart.

It haunted me a little as well, although maybe for different reasons. The food aspect of the film is not something I can completely grasp but there is a message there, I think, about how important food is, and also how people interact when they dine together. Eating is something we generally do in groups but Robin had abandoned that for the solitude of the forest after his wife died. Throughout the film we still see he has the love of food, he's still collecting truffles to make food, and he needs up cooking dinner for Amir and his dad. The Acts were also labeled as food, such as salty baguette.

The reason the film haunted me is because it comes down to my own relationship with food. Some people are affected this way with music, you hear a certain song, it reminds you of a certain thing. I'm that way with food because of how important meals were in my family growing up. There are still certain things I can't eat without being reminded of my grandmother who passed many years ago. I don't know exactly what the food connection is in this film but there is a message there and it just may be that eating is a common communal thing we do together.
The first time I realized the importance of food was when I left for college. Little did I know that my family ate like royalty every single night. Then I was eating in a college cafeteria, and I realized how important it was. That summer, I started learning how to make all of the dishes my mom made. One thing that has been a struggle for me is that it is difficult to recreate Spanish and Italian meals in the US. We simply do not have the ingredients, especially in Hawaii. Indian was easier to do, as I always have access to spices we bring home when we travel. But the raw ingredients still make a difference. Indian chicken and eggs in their purest form are highly superior to what I have been able to buy in the US. Tomatoes, and bread and olive oil. I can just never find good substitutes here. Food is tied into memory, as is smell. The smell of food is tied into memory and emotion. I did love how the movie focused on that .

We haven't discussed the Springsteen cover that the wife had recorded at the end. It is a beautiful rendition of a song I have always loved, but also made me vaguely uncomfortable when sung by a man. In the recording, the wife said the song reminded her of Robin. I've been puzzling over this and have not come up with an answer as to why.

I was pretty upset when Robin found out she was dead, killed the same night by meth heads that were "too rough." They probably beat her to death to make her stop squealing. This movie has a way of putting it in your mind without even showing it.
I had to cover my ears during the pignapping scene. Hated her sad little squeals.

We haven't discussed the Springsteen cover that the wife had recorded at the end. It is a beautiful rendition of a song I have always loved, but also made me vaguely uncomfortable when sung by a man. In the recording, the wife said the song reminded her of Robin. I've been puzzling over this and have not come up with an answer as to why.

As you saw, I posted it. Just a beautiful rendition. What's wrong with Bruce singing it?

I just assumed Cage liked that song. It seems like a song Cage would like. He probably rocked out to that song a lot.

I thought this was pretty decent. Cage did a good job of building this awkward, distant character into someone I felt invested in, leading to some very emotional scenes towards the end. I spent the whole movie waiting for him to explode into madness but ultimately felt pretty satisfied with it not taking that direction. It gives the character more sincerity I guess. As in it's not leaning on zany Nic Cage pops that you might expect in an oddball film about a hermit truffle farmer seeing his pig get kidnapped. It's a subdued and measured performance and I really felt for Robin at the end

I really dug the pace and quietness of the film. It reminded me of Beat Takeshi movies, especially Outrage, where the film is often very mundane and slow and silent as it circles around its characters. Pigs setting was very nice and full of small town personality and I liked the music as well, especially the song for the end credits.

I gave it 4/5. It's a well executed film

Did you ever see the Last Duel?

Yeah I thought it was pretty good.

Yeah I enjoyed it although some minor differences could've made it better. I've only seen power of the dog and don't look up among the best pictures nominees but I thought last duel was better than both and was enough of a non popcorn movie to get nominated.

Which brings me back to pig which I also thought was better than both and was the kind of movie that deserved some kind of oscar buzz. Idk maybe the other ones were really good. Heard good things about Dune.

Yeah I enjoyed it although some minor differences could've made it better. I've only seen power of the dog and don't look up among the best pictures nominees but I thought last duel was better than both and was enough of a non popcorn movie to get nominated.

Which brings me back to pig which I also thought was better than both and was the kind of movie that deserved some kind of oscar buzz. Idk maybe the other ones were really good. Heard good things about Dune.

I wasn't crazy about Power of the Dog. I didn't really like Don't Look Up at all.

Dune was good but I don't know why it would be nominated when something like Blade Runner 2049 which I thought was better got no attention when it came out. Dune looked very good but I don't think it was anything special as an overall movie.

What else...Nightmare Alley...pretty good. Nothing I would nominate in a good year for movies though.

I wasn't crazy about Power of the Dog. I didn't really like Don't Look Up at all.

Dune was good but I don't know why it would be nominated when something like Blade Runner 2049 which I thought was better got no attention when it came out. Dune looked very good but I don't think it was anything special as an overall movie.

What else...Nightmare Alley...pretty good. Nothing I would nominate in a good year for movies though.

I thought the popcorn stuff was good. Enjoyed spiderman, bond, and free guy pretty well. Thought wrath of man was surprisingly solid as well.

The only other nominees I'm slightly interested in seeing is licorice pizza and west side story.

Back