Movies Mayberry Movie Club Week 24: Upgrade (2018)

What's your rating for this film?

• 2 Stars: Skip it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Star: Fuck this piece of shit.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Agreed that lots of crazy shit is in the works and I have no idea what will become commonplace in my lifetime.

As for this experiment, I'd be far more impressed if the electrodes were hooked up to her head and she was somehow able to make the other guy move just by thinking it.

We know they are already working on that exact stuff. Elon Musk put what's called a N1 chip in this monkey brain. Check out this short explanation, its the EXACT sort of thing they are working on and doing right now.

We know they are already working on that exact stuff. Elon Musk put what's called a N1 chip in this monkey brain. Check out this short explanation, its the EXACT sort of thing they are working on and doing right now.

Yeah, this was touched on in the first video you posted. Can't imagine have my skull opened up. I'll wait for the implants that work their way into your brain through the blood supply. :D

Yeah, this was touched on in the first video you posted. Can't imagine have my skull opened up. I'll wait for the implants that work their way into your brain through the blood supply. :D

According to this its going to be quick, painless, and easily installed in a doctors office, better read them patch notes though lol. At this point I won't be shocked if the equivalent of The Matrix becomes real. What really gets me though is how Elon Musk talks about A.I. being his biggest fear...yet he's the one building the infrastructure of technology, in a variety of ways, to make it all happen...WTF Elon is the devil and we just don't know it yet.

According to this its going to be quick, painless, and easily installed in a doctors office, better read them patch notes though lol. At this point I won't be shocked if the equivalent of The Matrix becomes real. What really gets me though is how Elon Musk talks about A.I. being his biggest fear...yet he's the one building the infrastructure of technology, in a variety of ways, to make it all happen...WTF Elon is the devil and we just don't know it yet.

Maybe Elon figures he can't stop it, so better to get out in front of it?

Maybe Elon figures he can't stop it, so better to get out in front of it?

Yea, that's pretty much what he says, the scary part of it is what you said, "he can't stop it", which pretty much tells me the power centers of tech have already ordained it. Its going to happen at this point, the genie is out of the bottle and won't go back in. How many BILLIONS of dollars are spent worldwide on A.I., general computer tech, robotics, nanotech, etc. every year. The "Metaverse" is taking off as well. It feels like all this stuff hooks together to form something...bigger.

This was mostly enjoyable. Took about half and hour before it became truly interesting. Then much greatness as STEM did it's thing. Then it suffered trying to bring plot back into the mix. Can't say the ending delivered the goods.

Overall the concept was far superior to the execution. The acting was overall subpar.
I agree. I really enjoyed the first fight scene when Stem took over. I like the explanation of using the hand to move the head. I thought it would be a super fun role to play. Your body is doing one thing, while your mind (and head) want the opposite. Takes a lot to pull it off. While fun and enjoyable, I think that with a bigger budget, better acting, and a more developed screenplay, a great movie could be made.

Made me think there could be a sequel. Does Stem need Grey to live in the fake world he created for him? Doesn't he just need his body? Does Stem keep the fake world going? If he doesn't, does Grey realize something is up and fight back?

Made me think there could be a sequel. Does Stem need Grey to live in the fake world he created for him? Doesn't he just need his body? Does Stem keep the fake world going? If he doesn't, does Grey realize something is up and fight back?

Sequel tv series apparently

This was a lot of fun. The concept was enjoyable and it kinda put me in the same mind as Crank or John Wick did. The lead here definitely isn't as spectacular as Chelios or Wick, he was like the player character in the films video gamey concept - a luddite everyman, surrounded by far more distinct characters in a sci-fi enhanced world. I thought he was likeable but a little bland. The guys playing Eron and Fisk stood out the most though, they were fun to watch.

I really dug the Shadowrun style bioware on display although I have to say the gun hand thing was kind of lame in terms of aesthetics. It seemed very low tech like a blacksmith installed it. Otherwise I liked the use of sci-fi elements/cgi to just enhance the environments. It all seemed very slick to me, not intrusive but definitely appealing visually. For FX I also liked there was a little bit of gore/violence on display

I would say the combat in general is a mark against the film. It's very difficult to pull off that super-reflex, nonchalant hand to hand combat style since it generally looks silly. I wouldn't complain too much, it gets the job done but I didn't like the 'stand in front of the guy slipping a million punches before you kick his ass' set up it kept using. STEM is also kind of underdeveloped as a personality and doesn't really have a sense of fun/evil in its writing

But overall I had a good time with this and I gave it 4*

Well, Grey did try to fight back, until in the end STEM won the fight and sectioned him off somewhere in his cerebellum. The darkness, or scary part here is that STEM wanted a body, he wanted to actually live so at the end you saw him actually taste Grey's blood because he was human now and he didn't waste any time with the new experience of taste.

Timestamped

I really dug the Shadowrun style bioware on display although I have to say the gun hand thing was kind of lame in terms of aesthetics. It seemed very low tech like a blacksmith installed it.

Yea the movie felt like it was a video game adaptation for a game that doesn't exist. It was really weird, even the way he walked when STEM first took over was like a character in a video game. I can't find the clip but when STEM is first installed and Grey goes home, where STEM first talks, Grey gets out of his chair and walks, turning at right angles when he wants to turn like an old GTA character or something.

I must say, I do love the futuristic look of the movie. It had a nice feel do it, without going completely overboard like some movies do. But they still use those stupid blue surgical masks!

Aaron is a creepy little bastard, I will give the actor credit for that. And great job to the main for how robotic he looks and acts when he can move again. He did a really good job of miming what it would be like to learn how to do everything again like he is.

Holy shit, that first fight scene was NOT what I was expecting. At all.

I am slowly typing this up as I watch it, btw. But I may have to post the rest in a while as I need to run some errands. But so far, loving this film.

Finished the movie, god damn that was great.

I loved the twist at the end, or should I say twists. There was a few curveballs the end the movie, and they were actually well done. Grey got to be somewhere happy, STEM got what he wanted, everyone is now happy! Except none of it is real, so god only knows how this is going to go down now.

Its a frightening look at the future overall, with how technology is becoming so insanely integrated into our society that everyone takes convenience over privacy and freedom. But sadly I think that message would be lost on a lot of people who watch the movie, as they will just see it as a cool cyberpunk action movie.

The way the cameras moved during the fight scenes were great, hats off to the technicians who figured out how to do it. Its rare to see something new and interesting in fight scenes, and that was quite the nifty surprise.

All in all it was a solid film, and I'm happy it won as I'll be recommending it to some friends for sure.

This has turned out to be one of our most highly regarded films. Would not have guessed going into it.

Back