Movies Mayberry Movie Club Week 11: Isle of Dogs (2018)

What's your rating for this film?

• 2 Stars: Skip it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Star: Fuck this piece of shit.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In terms of SFX and aesthetics it was very entertaining. Not just the impressive, textured look of the dogs themselves but I really dug the style in general, going into the slick presentation of Japan/human society and the excellent stop motion. They do a spectacular job with the dogs in terms of animation and design, and I think the human characters are also very charming in this way. Visually it's outstanding, full of detail and imagination

The plot and the writing really drag it down though. In terms of mood it's in this weird place between The Plague Dogs and Air Bud World Pup. Lots of lame, cutesy jokes mixed with an overwritten story that takes itself far too seriously. The whole angle with the evil Mayor Kobayashi and the dog purge made it feel like propaganda from my local pound. While it has this special visual style everything else about it is very familiar. From the dog jokes, to the boy+his dog angle, to typical oppressive dictator stuff re: propaganda etc. Even every single voice actor is familiar, which gives it the air of a Hollywood sermon. Or maybe some regular dudes sitting around a table talking into a microphone like you're listening to one of those larping podcasts. And again it's really at odds when you have these cute little dogs that looks so visually interesting and unique and then it's like 'wait ... is that Walter White's voice?'

I think this is a film that can highlight just how well studios like Pixar have this formula down, how their films are so well designed in terms of story structure and presentation and pacing, and how this more than compensates for them using a lot of these same familiar themes and gimmicks that are in Isle of Dogs. But I would recommend people watch Isle of Dogs because it's a joy to watch regardless of it falling flat as a story

Back