Movies Mayberry Move Club Week 26: The Blackout (2019)

What's your rating for this film?

• 5 Stars: You need to see this.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 Stars: Would definitely recommend.

• 2 Stars: Skip it.

• 1 Star: Fuck this piece of shit.

• Total voters
Decent sci-fi flick. The premise reminded me a lot of Promethius, with humans being the spawn of alien creators who want to wipe out their creation. The direction had me guessing a lot, which can be good, but part of that was just the plot and the story itself being a little hard to follow at times. In general I liked the performances by all the main characters, and there were some pretty decent action sequences. Plenty of charisma on screen, good action and good soundtrack. Can't complain. 3 stars.

Decent sci-fi flick. The premise reminded me a lot of Promethius, with humans being the spawn of alien creators who want to wipe out their creation. The direction had me guessing a lot, which can be good, but part of that was just the plot and the story itself being a little hard to follow at times. In general I liked the performances by all the main characters, and there were some pretty decent action sequences. Plenty of charisma on screen, good action and good soundtrack. Can't complain. 3 stars.

Good call in Prometheus. Don’t care what anyone says, I thought it was more interesting than any Alien flick past Aliens.

PS. Everyone remember to vote.

Good call in Prometheus. Don’t care what anyone says, I thought it was more interesting than any Alien flick past Aliens.

PS. Everyone remember to vote.
Agreed. For me it is Alien>Aliens>Prometheus, easily. Alien and Aliens are all timers. I enjoyed Prometheus a lot despite some plot problems, my main complaint is it ended with so much potential and then the follow up sucked balls.

Agreed. For me it is Alien>Aliens>Prometheus, easily. Alien and Aliens are all timers. I enjoyed Prometheus a lot despite some plot problems, my main complaint is it ended with so much potential and then the follow up sucked balls.

Personally I prefer Aliens due to the action aspect and having had the theatrical experience.

I read too many whiny losers wanted to just see more Alien kills, so since Prometheus didn’t fare all that well at the box office we got stuck with more of the same old shit.

Had Scott done the first sequel that would have been the direction he took. Those ideas existed before Cameron got involved.

Personally I prefer Aliens due to the action aspect and having had the theatrical experience.

I read too many whiny losers wanted to just see more Alien kills, so since Prometheus didn’t fare all that well at the box office we got stuck with more of the same old shit.

Had Scott done the first sequel that would have been the direction he took. Those ideas existed before Cameron got involved.
I can see why a lot of people prefer Aliens. Not just the action, but throw in Paxton and the Marine banter, it's a completely different kind of movie. Interesting you mention theatrical experience. Like, do you think maybe Aliens is a better film in a technical sense? I tend to be partial to the first in a series, especially one that involves some epic world building. I go with Terminator over T-2 as well. And Hardbodies over Hardbodies 2, of course.

Edit: Maybe you mean you saw it in the theater and didn't see Alien there, haha. My bad.

I can see why a lot of people prefer Aliens. Not just the action, but throw in Paxton and the Marine banter, it's a completely different kind of movie. Interesting you mention theatrical experience. Like, do you think maybe Aliens is a better film in a technical sense? I tend to be partial to the first in a series, especially one that involves some epic world building. I go with Terminator over T-2 as well. And Hardbodies over Hardbodies 2, of course.

Edit: Maybe you mean you saw it in the theater and didn't see Alien there, haha. My bad.

Paxton is the best supporting character in the entire franchise.

Agreed on T1 and Hardbodies. But there are exceptions like The Road Warrior crushing Mad Max. And Missing In Action 2 being the superior film.

With Aliens it was both scary and action packed. Alien was more one note. Great fuckin movie though and I can understand preferring either one. Saying there’s an installment better than either of those two, however, is worthy of ridicule.

Paxton is the best supporting character in the entire franchise.

Agreed on T1 and Hardbodies. But there are exceptions like The Road Warrior crushing Mad Max. And Missing In Action 2 being the superior film.

With Aliens it was both scary and action packed. Alien was more one note. Great fuckin movie though and I can understand preferring either one. Saying there’s an installment better than either of those two, however, is worthy of ridicule.
Road Warrior is a good call. Also Empire Strikes Back, I think. So, yeah, there are definitely exceptions. It's annoying when the sequel to a hit comes out and it mainly tries to throw more of whatever the first movie did at the audience. The Lethal Weapons and Back To The Futures of the world. The sequels ain't bad, but they're clearly inferior to the original. That's not the case with the flicks we're talking about, though (aside from Hardbodies, hehe), which is why they're elite franchises.

Road Warrior is a good call. Also Empire Strikes Back, I think. So, yeah, there are definitely exceptions. It's annoying when the sequel to a hit comes out and it mainly tries to throw more of whatever the first movie did at the audience. The Lethal Weapons and Back To The Futures of the world. The sequels ain't bad, but they're clearly inferior to the original. That's not the case with the flicks we're talking about, though (aside from Hardbodies, hehe), which is why they're elite franchises.

Empire might be right too. I’ll defend Lethal Weapon 2. They shifted ti action comedy with Leo so not exactly more of the same. Or was Leo 3? Beverly Hills Cop 2 and Revenge of the Nerds are guilty though.

Empire might be right too. I’ll defend Lethal Weapon 2. They shifted ti action comedy with Leo so not exactly more of the same. Or was Leo 3? Beverly Hills Cop 2 and Revenge of the Nerds are guilty though.
BHC, nice one. Gotta throw Another 48 Hours on the pile.

Pesci was in LW 2, and I really liked it. Maybe not the best example of what I'm talking about, but they did lean on stuff from the first film to the point of making it feel gimmicky at times ("hey, it's like the first LW, but now with an even crazier Riggs!"). I mean, they had him running around shooting fish tanks while Murtaugh distracted people in the lobby. First one had a bit more integrity than that. To be fair to that series, it was going to be impossible to beat the original (imo). I feel like they were all good, but declined a little each time for my taste.

BHC, nice one. Gotta throw Another 48 Hours on the pile.

Pesci was in LW 2, and I really liked it. Maybe not the best example of what I'm talking about, but they did lean on stuff from the first film to the point of making it feel gimmicky at times ("hey, it's like the first LW, but now with an even crazier Riggs!"). I mean, they had him running around shooting fish tanks while Murtaugh distracted people in the lobby. First one had a bit more integrity than that. To be fair to that series, it was going to be impossible to beat the original (imo). I feel like they were all good, but declined a little each time for my taste.

At least Cop 2 was still a fun film. Another 48 hours fell flat.

I think the lesson is that sequels to mediocre films are much easier to pull off, but not with classics. So films like Aliens and Godfather 2 deserve a ton of respect for rivalling the originals.

Back in the day I preferred Halloween 2, but I haven't watched it in 35+ years so I could be wrong there.

Vagina face alien ninja guy was the standout for me.
200w.gif

I am impressed how, as of this post, all votes are at 3. So my first win wasn't amazing, OR awful! I shall accept this as a good ending to what is likely to be my only win.

Yeah, even though there's only five votes it's still pretty crazy they're all the same. I think mine tend to get both 5's and 1's. lol. Guess I like polarizing cinema. :D

I just love @Dirt Road Soldier's attitude. He's like yeah, this is my only win, but I'm not gonna sweat the rest of you all having shitty taste.

Dude's a role model.
Cool with being comfortably mediocre. He’s the George Constanta of the club!

That said, pretty sure he’s got the same number of “wins” as me, so who am I to talk shit?

Where did you find this one to watch btw? Russian Netflix?

Back