Social Mayberry Lounge Chat Thread v1: Codger Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't ever say this to my dad, he loved that car lol.
this car and his Harley had matching paintjob. <45>
Nah. Wouldn't do that. I'm a car guy and we get sensitive about criticisms regarding our rides. AMC had some good looking rides back in the day. These were my two faves:
08-1541608949430@2x.jpg

1973-amc-javelin-amx

Nah. Wouldn't do that. I'm a car guy and we get sensitive about criticisms regarding our rides. AMC had some good looking rides back in the day. These were my two faves:
08-1541608949430@2x.jpg

1973-amc-javelin-amx
that AMC supercar that never was produced was straight fire
(think only 4 of them still exist?

AMX/3
amc-amx-3-the-early-70s-american-supercar-that-almost-made-it-into-production_2.jpg

I have 1 pan. Its aluminum, and it makes eggs and bacon just fine. What the hell else would I use it for?

that AMC supercar that never was produced was straight fire
(think only 4 of them still exist?

AMX/3
amc-amx-3-the-early-70s-american-supercar-that-almost-made-it-into-production_2.jpg
I remember reading about that car years ago. Was supposed to be a competitor with the Pantera. Not sure why production fell through.

I remember reading about that car years ago. Was supposed to be a competitor with the Pantera. Not sure why production fell through.
However, a little later - depending on the source at the end of April or in the summer of 1970[17] - AMC surprisingly abandoned the AMX/3. Reasons for the termination were not given. By then, AMC had invested about US$2 million in the project.[18][19]

now I will have to watch a YT doc on it or some shit,
I hate not knowing

I dig some things about the car but whoever messed with it definitely lacked vision and taste. Probably somebody under 30 with limited budget and questionable tastes.

Shitcan the cheapo wheels and white trash lug nuts for something more period correct like aluminum slots, torq thrusts, or mini-lites.

Get a premium for that year wood steering wheel. Change the interior color to something that works with the exterior and bucket seats. Black or gray.

Pull the door panels (cards to some) off the inside of the door and put aluminum race style panels on. Attach straps to the panels to pull the doors closed. Reinstall window cranks and door latch.

Take anything that's chrome or polished stainless, mask it off, and paint it semi-gloss black. The car looks dumb with body color bumpers and a bunch of original chrome. Repaint the bumpers semi-gloss black too for a little contrast to body color and to tie them in with the blacked out chrome trim and stainless. Ditch the antenna.

Could be a cool ride with little effort. Look at the windshield cowl area, front floorpan / toeboard area, and, of course underneath. All places where these things like to rust.

I think she could easily have this cool vintage Trans Am series vibe if done correctly......

78266efbb48b26ff9286d11c9f195cdb_1024x1024.jpg

Let us know if you get it!

However, a little later - depending on the source at the end of April or in the summer of 1970[17] - AMC surprisingly abandoned the AMX/3. Reasons for the termination were not given. By then, AMC had invested about US$2 million in the project.[18][19]

now I will have to watch a YT doc on it or some shit,
I hate not knowing
It's usually because of $$$$. AMC didn't have the deeper pockets that the Big 3 had.

Haven’t you heard? Gas vehicles are soon to be obsolete and illegal.

i do find it cool. not as cool as say... a 70 chevelle ss with a 454. but definitely cool.

My friend was shopping for a '70 SS Chevelle the past year. Clean 396 / 4 speed cars with zero proof of being an actual SS were going for 75-95K. Ouch!!

I had a chance at a bench seat, cowl hood, no stripe "barn find" when I was in the Navy for $12,900. Numbers matching car ordered without stripes, with standard bench seat, and L34 402 / 4 speed combo and 4.10 posi 12 bolt rear. Car was tired but solid and had most of its build sheet to prove it was a real SS optioned as it sat. I was paying on a Cavalier at the time so it would have been a huge stretch. Oh well.

My friend was shopping for a '70 SS Chevelle the past year. Clean 396 / 4 speed cars with zero proof of being an actual SS were going for 75-95K. Ouch!!

I had a chance at a bench seat, cowl hood, no stripe "barn find" when I was in the Navy for $12,900. Numbers matching car ordered without stripes, with standard bench seat, and L34 402 / 4 speed combo and 4.10 posi 12 bolt rear. Car was tired but solid and had most of its build sheet to prove it was a real SS optioned as it sat. I was paying on a Cavalier at the time so it would have been a huge stretch. Oh well.
There's a classic car dealership near me that always has several Chevelles in stock. Most aren't original but many including myself don't care about that. Still can't bring myself to buy a 50-55 year old car though. Change my mind.

Looks cool but the problem with all old cars like that is they drive like crap if you are used to modern cars. It's all about the look and sound but they are a chore to drive.

my dads does, and he's desesperate for a hobby lol (retired, 71yrs old, still in good shape enough for this)

I'd show the Mustang to your dad. If he likes it and wants to restore it with you, it's worth it as a bonding project. If he doesn't like it, find a better one with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back