Max Rohskopf's corner man in big trouble with the NSAC.

Is it the corner's job to stop to fight though? There's a referee, the commision, and even the fighter themselves who can just refuse to continue, like this guy did, the corner was doing their job trying to motivate him, he wasn't seriously hurt, it was only the second round?

What next, stop the fight anytime a guy hangs his head on the stool, or doesn't look confident, all the procedures obviously worked, because a fighter didn't want to fight, and someone made sure he didn't fight, I don't see the problem, people have taken way more damage in fights, even little women, its not like his life was in danger, he was just tired and lost his confidence, coach was doing his job
While the ref and doctor are also capable of stopping the fight it absolutely is still the job of the corner to stop it if it's necessary.

While the ref and doctor are also capable of stopping the fight it absolutely is still the job of the corner to stop it if it's necessary.
Its not their job at all, its just what people want to be true. The corner is there to give advice to the fighter, and has the option to request the ref to stop the fight. As far as I know, the ref doesn't even need to acknowledge the towel if he doesn't want to.

In my opinion people should lay off the cornermen and let them do the job, the ref should be trusted to watch the fighters carefully and decide if they are fit to fight, or the fighter can stop themselves, which is what happened, there was no problem and no one got hurt, people just invented an issue because they didn't like the corner's approach, which I can understand, but trying to investigate them or stop them from cornering is ridiculous, the corner should be able to focus on getting their guy through the fight with a win, while the ref makes sure all rules are followed and fighters are safe, that's how the rules actually work

Its not their job at all, its just what people want to be true. The corner is there to give advice to the fighter, and has the option to request the ref to stop the fight. As far as I know, the ref doesn't even need to acknowledge the towel if he doesn't want to.

In my opinion people should lay off the cornermen and let them do the job, the ref should be trusted to watch the fighters carefully and decide if they are fit to fight, or the fighter can stop themselves, which is what happened, there was no problem and no one got hurt, people just invented an issue because they didn't like the corner's approach, which I can understand, but trying to investigate them or stop them from cornering is ridiculous, the corner should be able to focus on getting their guy through the fight with a win, while the ref makes sure all rules are followed and fighters are safe, that's how the rules actually work
Corner stoppages are absolutely a thing. The ref can't run back and forth between the fighters between rounds and determine if they're okay. The corner is there to see the fighter through the fight but also put a stop to it if needed.

Corner stoppages are absolutely a thing. The ref can't run back and forth between the fighters between rounds and determine if they're okay. The corner is there to see the fighter through the fight but also put a stop to it if needed.

Like I said, they have that option, but its not their job to stop the fight. Its the athletic comission/ref's job to stop the fight. He doesn't have to run back and forth, he is watching the fight the entire time and checks the fighters before each round is started.

If there is something going on, like a guy wants to stop etc, like what happened last night, then it gets picked up quickly and action is taken, the commission guy literally asked the fighter if he can continue, he said no, fight was stopped, there was no problem.

People are just angry, because they wanted the corner to stop the fight, because the fighter didn't want to fight anymore. They could have been nice to him and stopped it immediately. They decided to challenge him for his own benefit and try to get him to make the best of his big opportunity to fight in the UFC. For all we know, he could have done this before in previous fights, started doubting himself and needed some pep talk, maybe not, either way he wasn't hurt and wasn't forced to fight.

Honest question, can you find me the rules that state this? Fighters are allowed to take responsibility for themselves, which Max understandably did. How many conflicting responsibilities are we gonna throw at coaches before the criticism becomes absurd?

They will “look into it” but absolutely nothing will come of it.

Whether it was right or not I don’t know, but it was uncomfortable as hell to watch.

He did what a coach is supposed to do and tried to push his fighter through a mental block..He could have continued physically but he mentally checked out...This will follow Max the rest of his career.

And the coach made it worse, he made him surrender 9 times instead of 1, and made it more public. Maybe his couch thought they are in a movie.

Is it the corner's job to stop to fight though? There's a referee, the commision, and even the fighter themselves who can just refuse to continue, like this guy did, the corner was doing their job trying to motivate him, he wasn't seriously hurt, it was only the second round?

What next, stop the fight anytime a guy hangs his head on the stool, or doesn't look confident, all the procedures obviously worked, because a fighter didn't want to fight, and someone made sure he didn't fight, I don't see the problem, people have taken way more damage in fights, even little women, its not like his life was in danger, he was just tired and lost his confidence, coach was doing his job

There‘s a massive gulf between stopping the fight because a fighter is hanging his head and stopping it after he spends the entire break telling you he’s finished. If the corner wants to spend the entire minute trying to hype him back up and encourage him, that’s fine. When it’s crystal clear that the kid is done, I think they need to accept it.

The only one to suffer brain damage or other long term consequences if he’s too tired or two hurt to compete properly is the fighter. Drysdale will have moved on to the next kid when this one is waking up with headaches and mood swings in ten years. He was never going to win this fight. For the trainers, who cares, they’re playing with house money. For the fighter, it’s his career and his life. To act like going out and getting the shit kicked out of him in the third round was going to gain him anything is a joke.

It might not be the corner’s place to go out of their way to stop the fight, but the shouldn’t stand in the way of that stoppage in the face of overwhelming evidence that the kid is finished, be it physically or mentally.

And the coach made it worse, he made him surrender 9 times instead of 1, and made it more public. Maybe his couch thought they are in a movie.

Bingo. There was no upside here. This wasn’t heading into the 5th round of a close title fight. It was a short notice debut that the kid wasn’t fully ready for, he was near-lock to lose, and regardless of winning or losing he was at the beginning of his journey. There may be a critical make or break moment for the kid in his career, but it wasn’t this one. (And if this is that moment, he was never going to have a successful career anyway). This was a classic case of a coach having only one gear. And not to put too fine a point on it, but fighters do get badly damaged or even killed when a corner allows them (sometimes even pushing them) to keep going when they’re badly fatigued. Google Dennis Munson Jr. But hey, gonna break a few eggs to make an omelet if you’re Duke Roufus.

The issue is not that Drysdale tried to coach him to fight. It’s that when that was unsuccessful he didn’t yield and was going to let his fighter go out for the 3rd round. Luckily officials intervened. Drysdale should be done.

Bunch of pu$$ies around here these days. Coach did nothing wrong.

Honest question, can you find me the rules that state this? Fighters are allowed to take responsibility for themselves, which Max understandably did. How many conflicting responsibilities are we gonna throw at coaches before the criticism becomes absurd?
I don't know where to find the rules but I'm going off of how it works in boxing, and don't see why it should be different here. Corner stoppages happen regularly and aren't a strange occurrence. You're there for your fighter and if you think they shouldn't be fighting anymore then you stop it. It's pretty normal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back