Matt Hughes vs Kazushi Sakuraba

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
Probably same size, if not Hughes is a bigger guy

Who would've won in their prime?

wow some folks using Royce as a comparison for Sakuraba vs Hughes? silly. The question was both in prime. Royce was 40 something when he fight in prime Matt. Saku and Royce fought in their primes.
1.) Hughes was a great wrestler, Sakuraba was a great wrestler. both national caliber wrestlers. Sakuraba beating Olympic medalists during his wrestling career. And lets not forget Sakuraba is the best takedown artist in MMA history.
2.) For some reason folks think Hughes was massively stronger than Saku. I don't remember Matt competing with the likes of Kevin Randleman, Rampage, Vitor Belfort(phenom years 220-230lbs), Vernon White, Conan. Even in defeat he was a hard test for guys like Cro Cop, Igor Vovchachyn(was actually a draw in reg). Don't think Matt's strength matches theirs.
3.) Stand up- Matt had better boxing, Sakuraba's had better kickboxing. Also while Saku didn't have many KO's, when he fought someone within 20lbs of his own weight, he dominated them and his strikes did hurt folks. He was even able to knock down Wandy in their first fight.
4.) Submission skills- I'll take the guy who subbed Gracies. The only man to sub a Gracie in MMA actually. Also the first man to sub a bjj blackbelt in MMA, while being outweighed by 60lbs. Only one of two men to sub Rampage. Vs Joe Riggs and a mentally overwhelmed GSP.
5.) Heart-I'll take the guy who went 90 minutes with Royce, handing him his first loss in his prime. Then, came out that same night to fight the number 1 HW in the world in Igor Vovchachyn (Igor having 50lbs on Saku) and took him to a draw in regulation. before exhaustion caught up to him after fighting 105 minutes in one night.

I like to think Sakuraba would find a way, Pride rules?

Will this be on rizzin or just some hypothetical dream match? I thought those weren;t allowed.

Just a fight. When I think about hypothetical match up, I tend not to think in terms of where the fight take places but just given the talents of both fighters, how the fight would've played out. I think Sakuraba is a good enough wrestler to be able to negate the cage factor probably

In his prime Hughes slams the shit out of him doesn't get caught in any subs and wins UD

Matt Hughes is not Kevin Randleman

Randleman was a lot more accomplished wrestler and lot bigger than Hughes.

Hughes for sure. Hughes vs Royce Gracie is a good indicator in Matt's skills dealing with an opponent like Sakuraba

TUF NOOBS JUST BLEED EVERYWHERE in this thread.

Sakuraba would've beaten that farmboy into the other side of the barn

Sakuraba. I would have liked to see hughes/silva, hughes wouldve taken it

Could have gone either way. I think sakuraba takes the first fight and Hughes wins the second and third

Hughes would've beaten Silva prime vs prime

I feel like Hughes had two peaks. During his first title run, especially at the beginning, he might not have been as technical on the ground and definitely not on the feet but his wrestling, strength, and overall fitness helped him overwhelm people.

I think later, during his second title reign, he had lost a step physically but had picked up a lot of skills along the way and thus made up for it.

I think early, beastly but less technical Hughes holds his own but gets subbed and the more technical Hughes wins via UD.

hughes gets a yellow card for stalling and as a result loses

Since we're all just spitting opinions and we will never know, I'll take Saku in a miracle comeback in a fight of the decade candidate

Back