• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Matt Hughes involved in car accident with a train, airlifted to hospital

Here's where the accident happened:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Be...c3bf8c2cc2e948!8m2!3d39.2979838!4d-89.5907137

http://foxillinois.com/news/local/f...in-truck-vs-train-crash-in-raymond-06-16-2017

2a849940-3b72-4b78-ad71-73de35373689-large16x9_HUGHESPIC.jpg

for those wondering it is reported that he was travelling eastbound which is toward us in the photo. the train came from the left and struck the passenger side of truck. matt would easily have seen the train coming unless distracted.

from where he was coming from.. it is a 90 degree turn and then only a short span of road before reaching the tracks. u can see the elevation change leading up to the tracks as well.. matt wouldn't be driving at a high speed at the point he reached the tracks unless he gunned it after completing the turn.

MMA training definitely destroys one's alert system that his body naturally possesses.

I don't agree with suicide theory.

Damn just heard him on the MMA hour like a month or so ago. Sad news to see, seeing the old highlights on youtube of Rampage and Hughes powerbombing their opponents was one of the things that got me interested in watching mma.

Be strong Matt Hughes!!

Really sad about this tbh , he was the guy that really got me into mma. His reign at 170 at the time was something special . Prayers for him and his family and hope he comes out all right.

it's pretty hard to get hit by a train....I mean even just opening your door and casually walking away would take 5 seconds. Something is weird here

Not really. People have near-misses all the time from simply being in a hurry and not wanting to wait for the train. Even when there are the posts that come down to block the lanes, the crossing areas are generally wide enough to where impatient people split lanes and go through the crossing anyway. Not saying Matt did that, but that's just one possibility. Just search youtube and you'll see a lot of semi-trucks getting hit on the tracks from thinking they can beat the train, not paying attention, or whatever other reason. I've often seen comments on those truck-train crashes where people living or working near those crossings say it "happens frequently."

not everyone's going to care and they aren't obligated to. report it if you really take offence to what they say.
Personally idc and it doesn't bother me how others choose to react about it, can't say more than that seeing how sensitive people are getting over an injured celebrity.
There's a huge difference between not being obligated to care, and hoping the man is dead.

...jesus do people really need to be told this shit?

This is where the shertard name comes from...

for those wondering it is reported that he was travelling eastbound which is toward us in the photo. the train came from the left and struck the passenger side of truck. matt would easily have seen the train coming unless distracted.

from where he was coming from.. it is a 90 degree turn and then only a short span of road before reaching the tracks. u can see the elevation change leading up to the tracks as well.. matt wouldn't be driving at a high speed at the point he reached the tracks unless he gunned it after completing the turn.

Depending on whatever is being grown there now, it could be bloody high by now (middle of June), and obstruct vision too....

Damn, that's one awful fucking train crossing.

Wonder if there aren't more accidents there.

seems like it would be a disaster at night

Actually, I think that at night you could see the light of the train illuminating the crossing a bit.

Probably worse during the day, honestly.

Terrible news, hope he makes a speedy and as thorough recovery as possible.

and...
Matt-Hughes.gif

...to those shit posts up in here.

*EDIT- Thankfully the mods are all over that shit, kudos.

I hate MMA news, it leaves us all guessing how bad he is. Loretta hunt saying he's in a coma? WTF is happening how hard it is to send ONE tweet telling the fans what's going on??

so annoying. but yeah, ban the retards in here
because at this point, it is too unpredictable. brain trauma is a bitch.

Wtf??

Because a random guy wanted to spar him and Hughes hit him with a half decent shot?

Fucking crybaby...
if I am not mistaken, that is one of the Tapout guys, Punk or whatever his nickname is, and they are just messing around. it was all in good fun. people taking this out of context are dumbshits.

I agree but there's something about it being poorly marked and not having gates that go down. Again we don't have all the answers here. I hate to assume. Just hoping that he pulls through.
My aunt was killed in 1998 at a level crossing with no gates. It was in the country. Investigation never came up with anything but I knew her well and suicide made no sense. I think she was distracted and almost never saw trains out there. Maybe this is a similar situation?

Very sad news. Hope Hughes pulls through.

At this point the best for his family and Matt is a complete block of media.

I know everyone wants to know instantly as much details as possible (Twitter era) but the most important right now is leaving the family / doctors etc. alone.
They need the time to cope with it and give everything they have to look out for him. Sounds strange but in a case like that you dont want to share anything because there
are no definitive facts and it costs a lot of energy seeing the media doing their "thing" with it.

Back