• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Matt Damon-Great Wall : Flops in the US.

What a shock China The Movie Starring White People didn't work out. I hope Ghost in the Shell flops too.
I'm usually not the type to complain about that but in this case it did bug me for some reason. It would be like The Statue of Liberty, starring Jackie Chan!

I'm usually not the type to complain about that but in this case it did bug me for some reason. It would be like The Statue of Liberty, starring Jackie Chan!
This sums up my feelings perfectly

Why Ghost in the Shell? That shit looks rad.

Because they took an asian property with an asian female lead and changed it to a random white woman. No thanks. Cultural appropriation is real.

Hollywood is basically trying to phase out the Domestic (American) Box Office by doing movies that cater to a different market. China is their #1 priority right now as movies like this and Warcraft can bomb in the states and still be considered a success because of how much money it makes in China.

Well....that doesnt make much sense.

Because they took an asian property with an asian female lead and changed it to a random white woman. No thanks. Cultural appropriation is real.
I don't even care that she's white, I care that they cast ScarJo. I'm just sick of her at this point.

I don't even care that she's white, I care that they cast ScarJo. I'm just sick of her at this point.

Same here tbh. She's a shit actress. So she's got big tits big deal.

I guess then if Chinese people decide they want to play American football then I need to complain about cultural appropriation, is that right?

I guess then if Chinese people decide they want to play American football then I need to complain about cultural appropriation, is that right?

giphy.gif

There are already lots and lots of roles for white actors in Hollywood. So, when they do something like take ghost in the shell, dbz, etc. and recast everyone with white actors it's pretty annoying.

I'm equal opportunity on this though. They're finally making a dark tower movie and they're changing Roland to a black guy, so I won't be watching. Same as I didn't watch the F4 reboot with a black human torch.

It's a bit ridiculous to take a story from asian culture, black culture, etc. and just recast all the roles with white people.

Same here tbh. She's a shit actress. So she's got big tits big deal.
I think there are hotter actresses out there with more talent too. She just got lucky in being cast in The Avengers, which made her a star or at least made the studios think as much.

Basically it's always annoying to race swap roles to me, but much more so when the race in question is already under represented in film.

I think there are hotter actresses out there with more talent too. She just got lucky in being cast in The Avengers, which made her a star or at least made the studios think as much.

Yeah that movie really reinvigorated her career. Don't hate her or anything, but think she's massively overrated. She's in a lot of shitty movies too. Ffs get a better agent.

giphy.gif

There are already lots and lots of roles for white actors in Hollywood. So, when they do something like take ghost in the shell, dbz, etc. and recast everyone with white actors it's pretty annoying.

I'm equal opportunity on this though. They're finally making a dark tower movie and they're changing Roland to a black guy, so I won't be watching. Same as I didn't watch the F4 reboot with a black human torch.

It's a bit ridiculous to take a story from asian culture, black culture, etc. and just recast all the roles with white people.
I see what you're saying but who would you have cast as Kusanagi? I can't think of many good Asian actresses off the top of my head, much less a Japanese one.
Yeah that movie really reinvigorated her career. Don't hate her or anything, but think she's massively overrated. She's in a lot of shitty movies too. Ffs get a better agent.
Overrated in looks and talent.

I would agree that Asians get the shaft in Hollywood, especially Asian males.

But really, the problem rests upon the shoulders of the public. For better or worse, it's just a thing with people that they are able to identify more closely with people who look like them and come from a similar culture. The studios know that if they put ScarJo in the movie instead of some random Asian bitch then more people are going to actually go see it, and therefore the movie stands a greater chance of being a success.

I do agree though that Asians need a bigger push in Hollywood. I don't like that there are so few of them, and that when they do show up they're usually playing some stereotypically Asian character.

Well good on you for that then. I think that characters need to remain the races that they traditionally are. I don't want to see a black Bond, just as I don't want to see a white Blade.

I dunno, man.

First off, what stories from black culture have been "appropriated" and re-cast with white people?

Second, localizing/regionalizing stories has long been a thing. I don't have a big problem with it. Let me give you an example.

Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors and Murder on the Orient Express is one of my favorite stories. The lead character, Hercule Poirot, is a Belgian detective and most of the stories are set in England and are full of English people. MOTOE features all Europeans. However, recently Japan did a localized version of the story for TV with all the roles re-written as Japanese people. Should I as a white person, or should Europeans as Europeans, be upset about this?

I see what you're saying but who would you have cast as Kusanagi? I can't think of many good Asian actresses off the top of my head, much less a Japanese one.

Overrated in looks and talent.

I'm not as in to asian cinema as I was 10-15 years ago so I don't know. Thing is there are lots of asian and asian american actors out there. They could have found somebody.

You don't see that many high profile asian actors, and a lot of them seem to get typecast. This could have been a breakthrough role for someone, but of course hollywood has no guts so they just cast a popular white girl in the role.

But really, the problem rests upon the shoulders of the public. For better or worse, it's just a thing with people that they are able to identify more closely with people who look like them and come from a similar culture. The studios know that if they put ScarJo in the movie instead of some random Asian bitch then more people are going to actually go see it, and therefore the movie stands a greater chance of being a success.
I don't really buy this argument. You can have some big name starts in supporting roles to sell the film while giving the lead to an upstart Asian actress.

And really I think star power is overrated anyway. I think the era of a John Wayne carrying a movie is over. Its Ghost in the Shell so its going to be attracting weebs anyway. Put enough action in the trailer and people will see it.
I'm not as in to asian cinema as I was 10-15 years ago so I don't know. Thing is there are lots of asian and asian american actors out there. They could have found somebody.

You don't see that many high profile asian actors, and a lot of them seem to get typecast. This could have been a breakthrough role for someone, but of course hollywood has no guts so they just cast a popular white girl in the role.
Its kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. Asians never get roles outside a few stereotypical ones so they never get the chance to become a star. With no Asian stars, the assumption is that they can't sell and so they remain stuck in stereotypical roles.

Jackie Chan is the one exception and that's because he had such a great career in China. But if he had moved to the US early on would that mean he had less talent? No but it probably would've meant he wouldn't have turned into the start he became because he wouldn't get the kind of roles that build star power.

I never played WOW but the movie was pretty good for what it was. It portrayed a pretty cool world in a convincing manner even tho the story was lacking.

I do agree though that Asians need a bigger push in Hollywood. I don't like that there are so few of them, and that when they do show up they're usually playing some stereotypically Asian character.

Well good on you for that then. I think that characters need to remain the races that they traditionally are. I don't want to see a black Bond, just as I don't want to see a white Blade.

I dunno, man.

First off, what stories from black culture have been "appropriated" and re-cast with white people?

Second, localizing/regionalizing stories has long been a thing. I don't have a big problem with it. Let me give you an example.

Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors and Murder on the Orient Express is one of my favorite stories. The lead character, Hercule Poirot, is a Belgian detective and most of the stories are set in England and are full of English people. However, recently Japan did a localized version of the story for TV with all the roles re-written as Japanese people. Should I as a white person, or should Europeans as Europeans, be upset about this?

I think these days that is more the studios than the public. We've accepted women in lead roles, blacks, latinos, asians, etc. You just need a good story and charismatic actors. Imo part of the reason Netflix is turning into a powerhouse in the entertainment industry, is they're more willing to take risks. They recognize the audience wants a compelling story more than slavish devotion to familiarity.

As far as Japan goes, they're a pretty xenophobic culture. I don't expect their media to be as diverse as ours. As blended as the population is here, they shouldn't STILL be looking for ways to whitewash roles or turn them into vehicles for established white actors, when the role is originally for another race and we have MANY talented actors of various races struggling to break through.

As far as appropriation goes, the most recent example I can recall for blacks was the Nina Simone biopic. Instead of casting one of the many working black actresses to portray a famous black singer, they cast Zoe Saldana and put blackface on her.

I don't like seeing ANY role recast with a different race, it's jarring to me. But it's much more annoying when they take a role that SHOULD go to minority actor and just cast an established white actor. White actors have enough presence in hollywood without giving them minority roles too.

Last edited:
I don't really buy this argument. You can have some big name starts in supporting roles to sell the film while giving the lead to an upstart Asian actress.

And really I think star power is overrated anyway. I think the era of a John Wayne carrying a movie is over. Its Ghost in the Shell so its going to be attracting weebs anyway. Put enough action in the trailer and people will see it.

Its kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. Asians never get roles outside a few stereotypical ones so they never get the chance to become a star. With no Asian stars, the assumption is that they can't sell and so they remain stuck in stereotypical roles.

Jackie Chan is the one exception and that's because he had such a great career in China. But if he had moved to the US early on would that mean he had less talent? No but it probably would've meant he wouldn't have turned into the start he became because he wouldn't get the kind of roles that build star power.

I definitely agree with this. Asians have had it even worse than blacks when it comes to film roles. Hollywood seems to have set a quota for a certain amount of black leads, but asians don't get leading roles unless they're martial arts actors like Jet Li or Jackie Chan.

It's borderline offsenive that they won't put an asian man in a lead role unless he's doing kung fu. EVEN THEN, you have travesties like the DBZ movie with an all white cast except Chi Chi. That would have been the perfect vehicle to build asian stars, but no. Like you said these properties are geared towards weebs anyway, and weebs won't watch a live action anime with an all white cast.

And you're not attracting enough people with these movies to piss off the main fanbase. I shudder to think of what they're going to do to Battle Angel Alita.

Back