Mats For Practicing Your Shoot

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a heavy bag on my back patio and that's where i practice all of my standup. It's a traditional heavy bag, not a thai one though. :icon_sad:
I really want to practice my takedown at home but I do not have any partners I could really grapple with due to my schedule and other factors. A few people at my gym said they practice their shoot by throwing a combination on the bag and shooting in for a takedown just to get the feel of it. Although I realize I can only really get practice by grappling with someone, since I am fairly new to grappling, I think this would be a good way to get used to shooting in for a takedown. I also practice gi brazilian jiu jitsu so I don't need the mat for rolling with a partner, I just need it so I can "shoot in" on my heavy bag without doing it on my hard assss floor.
I've heard a ton about puzzle mats, etc. I just want an economical solution so I can simply practice my takedown. I don't need a lot of space to be covered. Please recommend a good mat for this. Thank you

You can get some puzzle mats at Target and the link or online (greatmats.com). I wouldn't want to get thrown on them over a hard floor but they should be fine for practicing shots. Also, you could probably just rock some thickass knees pads and shoes. GL.

Do try Volleyball Kneepads and Elbow pads.
Much easier (and WAY cheaper) to pad your Bones than the entire floor.

puzzle mats are overrated. they would be a bad choice for shooting, expecially if you don't have a huge area covered, for them to brace against each other. you need a good vinyl covered foam style mat.

trust me puzzle mats are good to use for mma. my team uses get rung mats. 220 dollers gets 10x10 area. mats are 1 inch and work great

Go to the Dollamur ebay store.
They have 2 mats that are 4' x 6' for $157.49 w/ free shipping.
That's for the 1.5" thick flexiroll mats. They also have a special on the 2" flexiroll mats (also 2 each @ 4' x 6') for $150.74
If you keep an eye on the sales they sometimes get lower. I just paid $118 for 2 mats from them.
They're slightly softer than the commercial mats (I also have a 10' x 21' x 1.6" mat from them).
As far as I'm concerned this is currently the best deal in mats for anyone in the market for a smaller area.

If I can figure out how to post pictures here I'll do a write up comparing the 1.5" mats with the 1.6" commercial mats.

mats dont matter as much as you think unless your doing throws. just get a mat that has some kind of padding and invest more in a good knee pad like a ascics shotpad or a volleyball kneepad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back