Math Journals Bullied into depublishing math models on gender differences.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Lord Coke, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

The exploration of human knowledge is being suppressed for political gain. That is disturbing. Basically a mathematician made a mathematical model arguing for why one gender might have more variation due to evolutionary pressure and due to a feminist backlash the paper was unpublished. Anyone want to defend the journal. I think they are cowards.

The first article I read about this is here
    http://reason.com/volokh/2018/09/08/a-mathematics-paper-two-math-journals-w

Long article by the math professor here.
    https://quillette.com/2018/09/07/academic-activists-send-a-published-paper-down-the-memory-hole/

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  2. snakedafunky

snakedafunky Red Belt

Not defending the journal or stupidity of denying science here.
    I just feel that if you want to fight against human knowledge being suppressed for political gain religion should be the enemy to fight against.
    Not a bunch of trannies and feminists. They are small potatoes in the game.

3. Trotsky

Trotsky Gold Belt

I'd like to hear the other side of the story (that is, an opinion that is not by the author of the paper himself), but based on his account this looks really bad - and is a cause for genuine concern.

spamking, Sano, ocean size and 9 others like this.
  4. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

I don't care if you want to deny science. However there is a proper way to do that. Its not by silencing the other side. The proper way is to vet the paper through the peer review process and if you disagree with the argument then publish your own paper.

That gives transparency in the process. Many of the religious such as William Lane Craig have been more than happy to do that. I may or may not agree with their arguments, but either way I respect the fact they show up to debate. That let's the public know both sides of the argument and then they can decide which one to believe.

5. EradiatedHaggis

EradiatedHaggis Yellow Card Yellow Card

Odd, I dont see religions getting people fired, deplatformed or effectively getting entire industries to follow their madness.

The idea that religion is the enemy of science and knowledge is so...2010. Get with the times, SJWs and the LGBTQ+ community has done more harm in the last 3 years than religion has in the last 30.

6. Wingslaught

Wingslaught Black Belt

The left being anti-science again. Discussing gender differences or even racial differences is a big no-no to the left.

7. Prokofievian

Prokofievian Silver Belt

Everything about this is bizarre to me. The way the article was submitted and accepted for publication, and the fact that it would be ''unaccepted'' due to a complaint from another researcher.

Just...what?

8. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Red Belt

Remember when leftists accuse the right of being anti-science? Pot calling the kettle black

9. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

After reading the actual complaint by the author, this is egregious.

Most of all by the university of Chicago. Wtf.

spamking likes this.
  10. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

I've always felt the climate denial among the right is a real black mark on the conservative movement. I think that there is a lot of room to debate how MUCH the climate is being changed but to deny pumping millions of tons of pollution into the system is causing a change is crazy

I am glad the left has given us a similar anti science position so the right can take the high ground now.

11. Fugazy

Fugazy Aka Ferrari Houseshoes Double Yellow Card

Now Thats What I Call Progress 2018!

One of the assertions made was that there are more male idiots. You think feminists would be all for publishing this work. Ha.

MPD-Psycho likes this.
  12. NoDak

NoDak Leviticus 20:13

Not surprising at all.

The right doesn't "believe" in climate change or evolution (religious subset), the left doesn't "believe" in human genetic variation and has started becoming overtly hostile towards the reality of biological sex although the 'smarter' ones substitute that for gender and present the dishonest argument that it's something fundamentally different. There's also flat earthers, moon hoaxers and anti-vaxxers out the arse coming in all shapes, sizes and political stripes.

The Anti-Intellectual Movement is strong.

sweede, LockardTheGOAT, Sano and 16 others like this.
  13. oleDirtyBast4rd

oleDirtyBast4rd Banned Banned

Religion and science arent inherently at odds though.

14. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

I'm sure they would gladly be all over that if it didn't come with the additional result of including more males on the other end of the spectrum as well.

Maybe they could publish half.

TurboHolocaust, esotamoc, Zer and 2 others like this.
  15. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

Why is it that the knowledge that always seems to be suppressed, usually turns out to be the most true?

16. NoDak

It's always kind of peculiar to me when science and religion are framed in debate as being inherently adversarial if not thoroughly incompatible. Almost without fail, the former is appropriated and wielded as verbally weaponized atheism. This is interesting considering natural science is, by definition, outside the realm of the supernatural whereas the bulk of religious and spiritual thought tends to be rooted in undetectable forces, inaudible voices and judgments reserved for the deceased, albeit conveniently.

Over the centuries, science has shown to be ruthless in disproving a number of claims made about the workings of the universe in ancient texts in regards to phenomena and entities which can be measured, observed and verified through experiment but it does not directly rule out the possibility of 'intelligent design' itself nor is the edifice of the enterprise structured to prove/disprove anything of the sort. Science disproves 'God' like Mathematics is Science. It technically doesn't and isn't.

Not even the Big Bang - a consequence of General Relativity - explains how the origin of the universe in the form of an initial singularity came into being. That question is still very much of a philosophical and metaphysical nature. OTOH string theory, loop quantum gravity, etc. are still speculative mathematical conjecture and have been for decades with no proof they have any application. Albert Einstein's own most profound intellectual insight was once in a similar sort of position, but it took no more than three years to begin experimentally verifying.

sweede, ShinkanPo, MMAisGod and 3 others like this.
  17. oleDirtyBast4rd

The climate change discussion is precipitated by alarmist figures and doomsday predictions.

I'm what people call a denier, and I understand man has an effect on his environment. To what extent and is it possible to reverse is another question.

When I ask what are the actual downsides to warmer climate, I'm presented with a list of problems. It seems these problems have real tangible solutions that arent "convert the whole planet to solar".

IngaVovchanchyn and Gunny like this.
  18. oleDirtyBast4rd

Great well thought out post. Appreciate the time you took

Kafir-kun and NoDak like this.
  19. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

It goes beyond science merely not ruling out the possibility of intelligent design. There are scientific hypothesis that posit the idea of intelligent design, in that reality could be a simulation.

NoDak likes this.
  20. NoDak

Thanks, bro. For my own part I consider myself agnostic at this point but was brought up in a Lutheran family. As far as the science/religion dynamic and their (in)compatibility, I'm content with a clear separation of church and state, couldn't really give a fuck about someone's personal beliefs.

I tend to invoke Francis Collins a lot because he's present day, has served as Director of the NIH since 2009 with immeasurable bipartisan support and respect. He firmly identifies as a Christian. The dude was head of Human Genome Project from 1992-03 after James Watson walked, he is unquestionably one of the foremost geneticists in the world and on the upper tier of brilliant people among us on the planet outright. I do find his reasoning on the subject a bit daft and I'm not entirely sure how he compromises the two at the end of the day, but I can see the perspective because they technically are different questions.

sweede, ShinkanPo and oleDirtyBast4rd like this.