Matchups you would like to see post SF/UFC merger

J228jnkwxz9gj

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excluding those with match ups already(Woodley, Lawler ect.)

The Champions:

Melendez v Henderson
- IMO the only current SF title holder deserving of an immediate title shot. It is a perfect main event for UFC on Fox 7 in San Jose.

Saffadine v T.Alvez
- Awesome fight to co-main a Fuel/FX card. Alvez is a recognizable name and the SFWW title is recognizable as well.

Rockhold v Franklin
- Big name fighter vs a future contender. Either way this goes its a win/win for the UFC. Rockhold needs exposure. Franklin needs a win over a legit opponent. Perfect.

Cormier v Mir - ballsy fight for both. Cormier because he will obviously be slimming down to fight a current top 10 HW as well as a Top 10 HW all time. Mir because the is a dangerous fight vs a fighter who has yet to show weakness in the cage and is on his way to LHW.

The Names:

J.Thompson v J. Lauzon - crazy dominant wrestler that went heads with Gil multiple times vs a guy with solid striking and one of the most creative submission games at 155.

Masvidal v Njokuani - Crazyness in the cage. This fight goes nuts and so does the crowd.

Noons v S.Fisher
- Great litmus test for Noons. Win or get out of town for Fisher.

Ry.Couture v T. Zhang - Preferably on an international pay per view. This is the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. of MMA. Bring him slowly but surely.

Santiago v Hardy - Once a top 10 MW, now a marginalized WW still a fight betweem him and Hardy headlines the next FX/Fuel in Britain.

Marquardt v Simpson - A tough loss to Saffadine calls for a tough fight with little upside. Simpson is tough and not well known. Marquardt will have a rough road back.

Kennedy v Stann/Wandy winner
- If it is Stann that is a great fight "for the troops" if Wand wins it's just a great fight.

Gracie v Perosh - Another royal name that needs to be brought along slowly, although maybe not as slow as Couture. His BJJ chops prove it's bad to be on the ground with him.

Souza(Jacare) v Boetsch - Jacare is a beast on the ground but Boetsch is just a beast. Strength v Technique makes for a great litmus for Jacare.

Calvacante v P Davis - Two guys with semi star names on opposite ends of there careers. However the fight could go either way.

Mousasi v Rua
- It just doesn't get any easier for Shogun. It just got a lot harder for Gegard though. Co-main event for Cain v Overeem maybe?

Barnett v Browne - Just a warm up fight but the UFC is dumb to let Barnett slide through there fingers. In a division void of personality this guy fills the room. Browne could win this too.......

The Deserving Unknown:

Healy v Volkmann

Evangelista v Boesek

Ricehouse v Larson

Misaki v Thiago

High v B.Jardine

Spang v Abedi

Larkin v Cammozzi

Amagov v Vemola

St. Preux v Vera

Kyle v Griggs

Opinions or comments?

Last edited:
The JCC Jr. of MMA... pffft.

Ryan_Couture_Scale.jpg

Souza v Weidman
Barnett v Mir
Cormier v JDS
Mousasi v Evans
Saffadine v Condit
Melendez v Bendo which is happening!
Larkin v Lombard

Souza v Weidman
Barnett v Mir
Cormier v JDS
Mousasi v Evans
Saffadine v Condit
Melendez v Bendo which is happening!
Larkin v Lombard

Alot of those guys already have fights scheduled though Souza v Weidman sounds bad ass. Where does that leave Rockhold though?

Excluding those with match ups already(Woodley, Lawler ect.)

Noons v S.Fisher
- Great litmus test for Noons. Win or get out of town for Fisher.

Ry.Couture v T. Zhang - Preferably on an international pay per view. This is the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. of MMA. Bring him slowly but surely.

Santiago v Hardy - Once a top 10 MW, now a marginalized WW still a fight betweem him and Hardy headlines the next FX/Fuel in Britain.

Gracie v Perosh - Another royal name that needs to be brought along slowly, although maybe not as slow as Couture. His BJJ chops prove it's bad to be on the ground with him.

Opinions or comments?

Noons doesn't belong in the UFC. And I believe Spencer Fisher retired.

T. Zhang was released wasn't he? And I don't expect Couture to go places.

I wouldn't be so sure Santiago is going to get an invitation to the UFC.

Gracie v Perosh would be ok on the condition that the loser and winner both be released from teh UFC.

Noons doesn't belong in the UFC. And I believe Spencer Fisher retired.

T. Zhang was released wasn't he? And I don't expect Couture to go places.

I wouldn't be so sure Santiago is going to get an invitation to the UFC.

Gracie v Perosh would be ok on the condition that the loser and winner both be released from teh UFC.

Not sure if Zhang was released. Couture's son is marketable and 6-1. Santiago deserves a shot a WW and Perosh (3-2 in the UFC) and one of the best BJJ practitioners on the planet (not to mention that 6-1 record MMA) should both be cut ....LOL.

Not sure if Zhang was released. Couture's son is marketable and 6-1. Santiago deserves a shot a WW and Perosh (3-2 in the UFC) and one of the best BJJ practitioners on the planet (not to mention that 6-1 record MMA) should both be cut ....LOL.

Couture won't be fighting scrubs, I don't think he's going to be able to swim in deep water.

Santiago doesn't deserve the shot, he's 1-4 in the UFC already, his lone win coming in 2006 against a guy who eventually ended up killing himself after a 2-8 run.

Perosh is 3-4 in the UFC. You forgot about his first stint, where he went 0-2 before the UFC gave him easier competition.

I don't like Gracie, he's the only one I gave an unfair assessment, lol.

Demain Maia vs Saffeidine.

Cormier vs Mir or Nelson

Barnett vs Nelson, or Noguiera or Pat Barry

Marquadt vs Pierce or Simpson

Rockholt vs Leben or Bisping/Belfort loser.

Mousasi vs Sho Gun or Machida or Vera or Forrest

Melendez vs Bendo

Healy vs Guida

Kj Noons vs Etim or Nate Diaz

Couture ? Leave that up to Silva

Roger Gracie vs Vera or Diabate

Saffadine v T.Alvez[/B] - Awesome fight to co-main a Fuel/FX card. Alvez is a recognizable name and the SFWW title is recognizable as well.

I concur with this 100%. Two devastating leg kickers going at it...... what's not to like?:p Although I'd have to give the slight edge to Alves. His leg kicks seem to have a little more pop to them.

The fight I most want to see is Rockhold-Bisping. I've wanted to see that fight for awhile, even more so after Bisping's unofficial SF champ talk. I think stylistically it would make for a great fight and it makes a lot of sense if Biping loses to Vitor IMO. I don't care much for Rockhold vs. Franklin, I don't think Franklin has what it takes to compete with the the top guys anymore.

As for the other SF MWs, I'd like to see Kennedy fight someone in the 11-25 range, possibly someone like Le or Carmont. I'd ideally like to see him debut against Palhares, but he'll be out for awhile with his suspension.

I'd like to see Jacare debut against someone in the bottom half of the top 10. I'll say Philippou as I already have opponents in mind for the rest of the top 10.

Mousasi vs. Shogun sounds great. Winner of Rampage-Teixeira would also be a lot of fun.

I'm not really crazy about Cormier-Mir but that's probably what's going to happen. I'd love to see him fight JDS or Overeem if he beats Silva and doesn't get an immediate TS.

I'd like to see Barnett fight Mir, Carwin, Nelson, or the loser of Silva-Overeem.

I could go for Saffiedine vs the Condit-MaDonald loser or Diaz(former SF champ).

And I'd give Marquardt Story or Hardy. Possibly even Diaz as well.

I like your list... props for putting together a solid OP.

Mousasi vs Vera
Barnett vs Big Country
Saffedine vs Maia/Fitch winner
Couture vs Tuck
Nate vs Alves
Santiago vs Swick
Healy vs Wiman/Grant winner
Masvidal vs Yves Edwards
Rockhold vs Weidman
Jacare vs Phillopou
Noons vs Stout

Back