Mat burn and calluses

1PBCE1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have awful matt burn on the tops of my feet and it just won't heal in time for my next training session. Plasters won't stay on and it's embarrassing getting blood on the mats.

When do calluses form? Does the wound need to heal a certain degree first before you reapply 'pressure' to it, or is it just from constant pressure no matter what the state the wound is in?

If I need to let it heal for a while I'll probably get some grappling socks, but don't want to if necessary.

Cheers

Eventually you will grind down to the bone, get gangrene and die.

Man up and use some sports tape.

Mat burn is one of the worst things about taking a break from the mats.

Generally, I just cover it with some athletic tape and make a conscious effort to avoid irritating the injury.

Burns on the top of my foot always came from practicing takedowns, so I would concentrate on not skimming my foot on the mat as I look to turn the corner.

Just be conscious of what is causing them (obviously nothing you can do about some of them) and if they get really bad, take an extra day off.

I have never trained Grappling I have tried some aerobics and some Pilates and that alone got me some mat burn near my Butt. And it hurt already I can imagine the Matt Burn one would get from Wrestling. I think this is one of the reason they say Wrestling is much more tougher than boxing not only you get to deal with Impact from throws and get similar concussion like in boxing the Matt Burn really suck.

Just put some of that new skin liquid bandage stuff on the wound. After it dries just tape it up and you'll be fine.

I have never trained Grappling I have tried some aerobics and some Pilates and that alone got me some mat burn near my Butt. And it hurt already I can imagine the Matt Burn one would get from Wrestling. I think this is one of the reason they say Wrestling is much more tougher than boxing not only you get to deal with Impact from throws and get similar concussion like in boxing the Matt Burn really suck.

uuhhhhh wut

If it's an oozing-type of superficial wound, cover it in Neosporin, put a bandage on it, then roll some athletic tape over it before you start practice (at least a couple layers to keep everything in place). This way, you won't have to take any time off the mats.

When you're outside of practice, keep applying Neosporin and keep the wound bandaged 24/7 (only remove to take showers and change the bandage if it gets wet), it will promote faster and cleaner healing. You can stop applying bandages after the wound stops oozing and is more or less pain-free (i.e. the skin has reconstructed itself). It's after healing that calluses tend to build up with repeated stress to the area (note: they can also build up without a wound necessarily developing).

Good luck to you.

Sometimes I'll spread superglue on a blister or recently popped blister. Super glue holds better than new skin, in my experience.

Also, tape. (Duh.)

And, I have a couple pairs of these. I mainly just wear them for the compression but if I've got some mat burn incubating I'll def seek them out. Kinda spendy just for mat burn protection tho & I don't know if the IBJJF would allow them in comps underneath a gi.

Honestly you are fucking up from a technical stand point if you keep getting significant friction burns on the top of your feet.

Fix the technique causing the repeated injury.

there are some kinds of mats that do this way more then others

Wear socks. Don't get nasty shit on your feet, don't get your nasty feet on people, but lose a little bit of grip depending on the sock. I always wore socks for a few days when I get mat burn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back