Masvidal Wanted to Fight Tony at UFC 249...How Would That Have Gone?

At 155? Are we forgetting Masvidal was a slightly above average LW during his time at 155, and fought to numerous uninspiring decisions against lesser fighters than Tony? He self admits he feels MUCH better at WW. 155 Masvidal isn’t in the same realm as the current version of Gaethje. Tony beats LW Masvidal in a 5 round fight more often than not.

And just like that, suddenly, Masvidal is a world beater.

What wins made/make Tony a world-beater and are better than finishes over Till, Askren and Nate?

At 155? Are we forgetting Masvidal was a slightly above average LW during his time at 155, and fought to numerous uninspiring decisions against lesser fighters than Tony. He self admits he feels MUCH better at WW. 155 Masvidal isn’t in the same realm as the current version of Gaethje. Tony beats LW Masvidal in a 5 round fight more often than not.

I noted the weight cut was a possible factor. That said, Masvidal started out at WW fighting the same way but appears to have made some serious improvements...just like Gaethje has. By much of the logic here, Gaethje could never have beaten Tony because of his back to back losses against Alvarez and Poirier (a former FW!)....but he did. Fighters can improve.

Until Jones steps up to a “basically the same size” Stipe. He weighed 230 for his last fight. I just don’t care what you have to say.
Having a bad day? There’s barely a size difference between Masvidal and Tony. Masvidal was basically a career lightweight up until 2015 and Tony started out as a welterweight and even won TUF at 170.

Reactions: mkt
was all talk no action. just like his bff colby is about woodley.

it easy to say something when he knows it wouldnt happen. just like jon jones calling out rancis.

So why didn't they fight? Give a link of Masvidal backing down or not accepting or you're just spouting hot air. I've already given proof he wanted this fight.

So, you mean the WW wanted to fight a LW. In a fun fight? Zero respect for Masvidal, sorry.

Wait, so was Cormier a coward for moving down to LHW? Masvidal also spent many years at LW including some at other orgs.

Having a bad day? There’s barely a size difference between Masvidal and Tony. Masvidal was a career welterweight up until 2015 and Tony started out as a welterweight and even won TUF at 170.

Barely a size difference between Stipe, and Jones. Why did you totally avoid that aspect of my post?

What wins made/make Tony a world-beater and are better than finishes over Till, Askren and Nate?
Nate? Tony smashed world champs that completely tooled Nate at 155. Let’s not talk about Masvidal at WW, let’s talk about Masvidal at 155, where he admits he was not physically at his best and where the fight would have taken place at 249. Did you watch Masvidal’s career at LW or did you just start watching him 2 years ago?

Barely a size difference between Stipe, and Jones. Why did you totally avoid that aspect of my post?
What does that have to do with anything? It seems like you’re annoyed at Jorge and you’re annoyed at Jones.

Yes, Jones and Stipe are similar in size, but Stipe has stepped into the cage at 240 in the past and Jones has stepped into the cage around 225 - maybe less - after cutting to 205. Stipe is not making 205. So it’s much more of a size difference than the Jorge and Ferguson one. I don’t really get your point.

So why didn't they fight? Give a link of Masvidal backing down or not accepting or you're just spouting hot air. I've already given proof he wanted this fight.

a tweet means nothing. tweeting im free april 18th ment nothing cause look who wasnt in jackonville on april 18th.

they didnt fight cause jorge wasnt really serious. it attention seeking. jorge said he not fighting with out being paid right.

Lol gotta love Sherdog. One of the greatest fighters of all times loses and suddenly he is favored to lose every hypothetical fight

Nate? Tony smashed world champs that completely tooled Nate at 155. Let’s not talk about Masvidal at WW, let’s talk about Masvidal at 155, where he admits he was not physically at his best and where the fight would have taken place at 249. Did you watch Masvidal’s career at LW or did you just start watching him 2 years ago?

Make that "champ" not "champs." I acknowledged that Tony beat RDA who beat Nate. But since we're talking weight cuts, RDA had a terrible weight cut vs. Eddie Alvarez when he lost his belt--I believe he even passed out before the fight. Then he fought Tony and lost and said he needed to move to WW. He's never fought at LW since. So if we're using weight cuts as an excuse, Tony's one and only "elite" win is suspect. Who else did he beat? Kevin Lee, Pettis and Cerrone? Really? I'm more impressed with Mas beating Askren, Till and Nate at WW...especially since all three were finishes.

And since we're using MMA Math, Tony also lost to Michael Johnson whom Nate Diaz beat rather easily.

I don't know, 12 fights win streak maybe, he didnt get there by accident ? I like Masvidal but come on, one recent win over Nate and suddenly he would beat Tony, probably conor, Khabib as well, if you believe sherdoggers. Recency bias really is one of my pet peeves. Till dropped him, Askren win was good but dont kid yourself thinking jorge would do the same if they fought 5 other times, as for Nate, every one wins against him.

Lol gotta love Sherdog. One of the greatest fighters of all times loses and suddenly he is favored to lose every hypothetical fight

LOL, again, what on Tony's resume puts him in GOAT territory? You're actually guilty of the Sherdiot logic you're accusing others of.

Calling Gaethje an elite boxer (by MMA standards) sounds weird but I can buy it based on his last few fights. If Tony/Justin fought a few years ago when Geathje was really wild (and Tony was a bit younger), I can see Tony losing the early rounds but pulling a 4th or 5th round win the way Poirier and Eddie did after Gaethje gassed. But patient, 5-round Gaethje 2.0 is a scary man.

His boxing has improved significantly, and now I want to see him fight Conor. I still give the edge to Conor....

I don't know, 12 fights win streak maybe, he didnt get there by accident ? I like Masvidal but come on, one recent win over Nate and suddenly he would beat Tony, probably conor, Khabib as well, if you believe sherdoggers. Recency bias really is one of my pet peeves. Till dropped him, Askren win was good but dont kid yourself thinking jorge would do the same if they fought 5 other times, as for Nate, every one wins against him.

I've dealt with double-digit win streaks already. They're impressive, but look at Hector Lombard, Will Brooks and Jake Shields...how did they fare after coming to the UFC with big win streaks then losing? What QUALITY wins does Tony have?

His boxing has improved significantly, and now I want to see him fight Conor. I still give the edge to Conor....

Yeah, I think that fight might come down to whether Gaethje can land enough leg kicks before Conor drills him with enough punches. Both will land punches, but I think Conor will land more with better accuracy.

Back