• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Masvidal question

MMAPrivateer

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
There are only four fights for Masvidal that make sense (or that he thinks make sense):

1. Nate - Masvidal has said he wants this due to previous stoppage though it doesnt make a lot of sense to me, plus Nate is probably still recovering from that terrible beating
2. Nick - Pretty sure that dude is deeply retired and never coming back
3. Usman - already booked vs. Burns
4. Conor

With Conor 'proving' to himself his body is good at 170 (whether you think beating Cowboy at 170 proves anything is another matter), this seems like the it has been the fight to make. If you disregard Conor's latest claims of retirement as I do as posturing/tactical, is it more Conor or Masvidal's fault for this fight not coming together? Seems like the best superfight besides Kabib that Conor could get too, if Conor isn't afraid of him?

Jorge shouldn't be rewarded for bitching out of the Usman fight when his body of work to earn a title shot wasn't even the most impressive in the division

Caner is scared to death of Mas. Daddy Dana won't let them fight anyway as Mas is too big for Caner, LMFAO

I don’t see how the Nate fight makes sense seeing how he already soundly beat him already and Nick isn’t ever fighting again so that’s a no go.....Mas seems to be only looking for money fights so he might as well go for the red panty night I guess

Jorge Masvidal was given a title shot on a golden platter, and he ducked it. Not a good look.

Mas would live to fight Conor that's his $ fight but Conor retired or whatever.
Imo Jorge should just fight whomever don't hold up just fight Jorge $ fights are incoming be patient

leon and colby are the two options now that he turned down a title shot. it makes no sense

karma is coming for masvidal. i am going to assume that this move will cost him embarrassingly so

He's demanding X. He got paid X once or twice before, and he doesn't want to go back to .5X (or .33X or .75X). If Dana pays him X he says he'll fight. No reason to doubt him when he says that. But Dana doesn't want to pay him X; he wants to pay him <X.

It's really just that simple, and I don't understand why it's so hard for so many fans.

Frank Shamrock, Tito, and a few others found themselves in this same predicament. Some (like Frank) never fought in the UFC again. Others (like Tito) came back when Dana paid what was being asked. Still others (like Colby) finally accepted less.

For Jorge, we shall see.

Now, I suppose TS is asking what fights are worth X to Dana. That's a bit abstract, because we don't know any of the numbers. Dana wants to make more and pay less. We know AO is worth $800k to Dana. Is Masvidal? Hard to say. Is Masvidal worth more than, say, Gus v Werdum? Again, hard to say. All we really know is that either Dana doesn't think so, or he does think so but is willing to play hard ball negotiations anyway.

Last edited:
Conor only wants Khabib,if he is humiliated by Masvidal it is bad for business.

face Mas is extreme danger,low reward.

Conor fights when he has nothing to lose.

Conor watches the fights,he knows who destroys him or which fighter he wins.

so he chose the old Cerrone.<Wenger85>

If he doesn't want to fight Usman he should fight Colby or Edwards, I'd prefer Colby

Jorge shouldn't be rewarded for bitching out of the Usman fight when his body of work to earn a title shot wasn't even the most impressive in the division
Why not, you could just consider it Conors punishment for also going radio silent when Usman called him out instead of a reward for Jorge.

As long as you aren't a Conor fan though I can let that comment slide which, obviously, you can't be if you're this upset about Jorge "bitching out" (aka wanting to get paid Title fight money for a Title fight) possibly getting him a Conor fight as a reward when Conor himself gets rewarded Title shots in multiple divisions as a reward for "bitching out" of Title defenses.

Especially considering you mention Jorge's "weak body of work" to get that shot but Conor has gotten 3 title shots in 2 divisions with only 1 top 10 (against #6) win before getting his first one and has fought for 2 titles in the other one as his only 2 fights in the division.

Jorge has been talking a lot lately which has attracted the attention of more and more of the WWF style drama craving fan base that makes up the vocal majority of this fan base so why not "reward" him by letting him embarrass the man largely responsible for bringing them on board in the first place (with a huge assist from Cheal and Ronda).

This would potentially gain him the bulk of that mans fan base as well resulting in the UFC getting a mega star who actually fights at least a couple times a year as opposed to once in a blue moon outside of Twitter.

Seems like good business really, assuming they can get the diva out of retirement again for it, lol.

From Dana's perspective, I'd say (excluding a GSP return) Conor vs. Kabib or Conor vs. Masvidal are the 'biggest' fights that he can put on, as in, would appeal to the widest audience and generate the largest PPVs. The way to pull it off so that it benefits everyone from a business perspective is to negotiate a % of PPV revenues going to the main event fighters, which is the way it is done. So it doesn't make sense to me why Dana wouldn't want to do Masvidal vs. Conor unless one or both of them is asking for a high base salary in addition to PPV points (unlikely), which leads me to believe it is Conor who is not making this fight happen because he is either waiting for Kabib and/or is afraid of Masvidal.

He's demanding X. He got paid X once or twice before, and he doesn't want to go back to .5X (or .33X or .75X). If Dana pays him X he says he'll fight. No reason to doubt him when he says that. But Dana doesn't want to pay him X; he wants to pay him <X.

It's really just that simple, and I don't understand why it's so hard for so many fans.

Frank Shamrock, Tito, and a few others found themselves in this same predicament. Some (like Frank) never fought in the UFC again. Others (like Tito) came back when Dana paid what was being asked. Still others (like Colby) finally accepted less.

For Jorge, we shall see.

Now, I suppose TS is asking what fights are worth X to Dana. That's a bit abstract, because we don't know any of the numbers. Dana wants to make more and pay less. We know AO is worth $800k to Dana. Is Masvidal? Hard to say. Is Masvidal worth more than, say, Gus v Werdum? Again, hard to say. All we really know is that either Dana doesn't think so, or he does think so but is willing to play hard ball negotiations anyway.
This is all spot on

Back