Mastering the rubberguard book/dvd

Toujourpret

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I searched for this so if it is a repeat my appologies. Im interested in learning more about the rubber guard. Are the DVDs worth it? The book is $100 cheaper but i have always had a problem learning techniques from a book. What are people's opinions on both? Thanks in advance.

The dvd are great. I personally don't ever get books. Too much can be lost in translation and visualizing something incorrectly.

A picture is worth a thousand words. A full motion video that can be replayed , slowed down, paused, etc is worth a thousand more.

I just recieved the book today. It is VERY detailed with colored pictures from multiple angles on every step of each position, with theory included for all, and there is even a flow chart on what happens from different positions.

i have MTRG and MTTwister, and they're both good books too.

I prefer the DVDs, but i dont always have the footage on me to revise and i can take a book anywhere.

~Foz

Sweet. looks like i will be picking up MTRG. Where do you guys usually buy DVDs? I have been using Budo. Is there anything cheaper?

I have both books as well. I would buy the book first to see if you want to include this into your game.

I don't play the rubber guard at all but there is a lot in both books that you can use and add to your game.

I know use the twister side control all the time with I'm in side mount....

A word of warning-

The DVD's actual instructional material is great and easy to understand.

HOWEVER, be prepared to hit the scene skip/Fast forward button A LOT since you will be fast forwarding through...

Music videos of Eddie's music
Joey Karate
Comedy skits
Weed smoking
Random interjected bits of Human Weapon star Jason Chambers attempting to show a move (before Eddie shows it off in greater detail)

What you're paying for is about half techniques and half "The Twister 2". (The Twister DVD (not to be confused with the move or Mastering the Twister), for those of you who don't know, was an Eddie Bravo produced doc on the evolution of his BJJ coupled with a lot of mockumentary type bits)

I'd go for both if you can afford it, the DVD's if you can only afford one.

A word of warning-

The DVD's actual instructional material is great and easy to understand.

HOWEVER, be prepared to hit the scene skip/Fast forward button A LOT since you will be fast forwarding through...

Music videos of Eddie's music
Joey Karate
Comedy skits
Weed smoking
Random interjected bits of Human Weapon star Jason Chambers attempting to show a move (before Eddie shows it off in greater detail)

What you're paying for is about half techniques and half "The Twister 2". (The Twister DVD (not to be confused with the move or Mastering the Twister), for those of you who don't know, was an Eddie Bravo produced doc on the evolution of his BJJ coupled with a lot of mockumentary type bits)

Eddie Bravo and his jiu jitsu are like a dumb hot chick, they both have something you want but you have to put up with some stupid crap they think is clever and funny to get it.

That being said I do find his books pretty detailed and would recommend you get them first and supplement them with the videos when you can get them. The best thing would be to find someone to practice the material and work out the kinks instead of just trying it live. I've done that and find myself going home and reviewing what move I tried that night and why it didn't work.

Back