Marvin Hagler vs Bernard Hopkins at 160

Hopkins wins, and it doesn't even look as close as expected. He doesn't let Hagler do what he wants to do and dictates where the fight goes all night. Technical, to Defensive to a short brawl here and there for the judges. I never saw Hagler to be much of a guy that could win a mental game with another high level RiQ guy.

Tough fight to pick. Prime Hopkins was crafty as fuck and really knew how to exploit any flaw an opponent had. But I think Hagler was just too much of a work horse and never got discouraged. He'd never let Hopkins dictate the pace for 12-15 rounds.

Hagler UD
Good point.
Is this a 15 round fight or just 12?

Hard to see anything but a close fight. It seems a lot of people are underestimating Hagler in here. He was a damn good boxer in addition to being exceptionally well-conditioned and tough. Hopkins has said various times that he wasn't sure who would win between the two if they were to fight. If Hopkins could get Hagler off his game a bit and force him to be a seek and destroy fighter as opposed to to a boxer-puncher, he'd likely have the advantage. If Hagler boxed more, I could see him forcing Hopkins out of his comfort zone a bit.

But Hopkins isn't doing two things, A) hurting Hagler B) winning a fire fight with Hagler. Hagler wasn't a slouch skillwise, and Hopkins ain't no SRL. 52 KOs, who was the real executioner at MW? Hopkins flopping by midway point looking for a way out. Hagler beats him up worse than limited Kovalev.

Hard to see anything but a close fight. It seems a lot of people are underestimating Hagler in here. He was a damn good boxer in addition to being exceptionally well-conditioned and tough. Hopkins has said various times that he wasn't sure who would win between the two if they were to fight. If Hopkins could get Hagler off his game a bit and force him to be a seek and destroy fighter as opposed to to a boxer-puncher, he'd likely have the advantage. If Hagler boxed more, I could see him forcing Hopkins out of his comfort zone a bit.

You do have a point. The tricky part while appraising Hagler is that while he struggled against several large, crafty MW in the first half of his career, he also ended up mangling him in rematches, proving how much better he had become. He was still a green, local champion before he went fighting ranked contenders in Philly.

There's no question that B-Hop schools a fresh out of Brockton version of Hagler. I also think old Hopkins decisions a past of prime Hagler, as his style is better suited to the later years. As for the early 80s version of Hagler, with the volume, agression and footwork, that may be a different story. Gun to my head, I still say Hopkins, as he never screwed up from a tactical standpoint, which Hagler could do. But this side of RJJ B-Hop never fought a MW beast like prime Hagler.

I didn't see much of prime hopkins, he wasn't easy to find in those years, so, i guess i'm saying i saw a lot of post 35 year old hopkins

Post 35 year old Hopkins was prime Hopkins.

His peak started with the Trinidad fight at 36 and ended with the Tarver fight at 42 imo.

You do have a point. The tricky part while appraising Hagler is that while he struggled against several large, crafty MW in the first half of his career, he also ended up mangling him in rematches, proving how much better he had become. He was still a green, local champion before he went fighting ranked contenders in Philly.

There's no question that B-Hop schools a fresh out of Brockton version of Hagler. I also think old Hopkins decisions a past of prime Hagler, as his style is better suited to the later years. As for the early 80s version of Hagler, with the volume, agression and footwork, that may be a different story. Gun to my head, I still say Hopkins, as he never screwed up from a tactical standpoint, which Hagler could do. But this side of RJJ B-Hop never fought a MW beast like prime Hagler.
once, when i stated i hadn't watched any of his middle weight defenses here, someone suggested that was his prime, i looked at a little, the old hopkins, like many older fighters don't have the gas tank to sustain an attack, he really outwaited and potshotted trinidad to death. As far as he and hagler, i can't picture someone flopping around to try and get points as someone who could beat hagler. Hagler didn't use excuses like that ever, sugar ray hit him square in the balls and he just kept fighting and the ref said nothing. no flopping around like a trout on dry land.

hard to compare eras, post 2000, we bagan to see fighters peaking in their late 30's, that never happened before, stiffer comp and harder fights will do that.

People underestimating Hagler here. Hopkins stopping Trinidad and DLH is totally different than fighting the best version of Hagler. Hagler would definitely stop Trinidad and DLH, I'm not so sure Hopkins beats Hearns at 160 or the version of Mugabi that Hagler stopped.

People underestimating Hagler here. Hopkins stopping Trinidad and DLH is totally different than fighting the best version of Hagler. Hagler would definitely stop Trinidad and DLH, I'm not so sure Hopkins beats Hearns at 160 or the version of Mugabi that Hagler stopped.

Hopkins beats any version of Mugabi. Hearns, on the other hand, could be a real challenge. Hopkins would be forced to showcase all of his versatility. I could see him breaking Hearns down on the inside and getting to him as the fight wore on, but he'd lose rounds and probably have to walk through some fire to do it.

Post 35 year old Hopkins was prime Hopkins.

His peak started with the Trinidad fight at 36 and ended with the Tarver fight at 42 imo.

I'd say the end of his peak was the Joppy fight (and even against Joppy, I'd say his gas tank was not what it used to be; he'd have gotten Joppy out of there a few years before). I'd have his prime from around '97 to '03.

Who do you got?

Call me crazy........but Hopkins I think wins this.......

He's not gonna brawl with Hagler...and he probably would foul the shit out of him. I predict I am in the minority here. But Hopkins wins this. Too crafty.

Points win for Hopkins imo

That's the first thing I thought when I read the thread title.

Hopkins beats any version of Mugabi. Hearns, on the other hand, could be a real challenge. Hopkins would be forced to showcase all of his versatility. I could see him breaking Hearns down on the inside and getting to him as the fight wore on, but he'd lose rounds and probably have to walk through some fire to do it.
I don't think Hopkins would do any better vs the version of SRL Hagler faced either.

BHop is more crafty and has enough power to get Hagler thinking twice about brawling and swarming.

BHop by decision.

I'm not one of those guys who pick a great from the past over a more modern boxer just because the guy is from the past ... it's not that long ago that people discussed Wladimir Klitschko vs. Earnie Shavers, Ken Norton, Sonny Liston in online forums and a lot of posters were certain that Wladimir gets wrecked in those fights ... about 10 years ago ... meanwhile a lot of people have smarten up and look at it more reasonably.

With that being that said I think Hopkins is too slick and too tough to get knocked out ... when you look at B-Hop in 1998, he was a very physical and not the conman he later became due to age reasons.
This fight goes to the score cards, but the score cards are in favor of Hagler who would be way too busy. Not necessarily a dramatic type of blockbuster of fight as many people would expect it to be ... this would require Hagler (1985) vs. Golovkin (2013) ...although I'm not sure that they're in their prime in those particular years, because both Hagler and Golovkin started to rely more on their power and chin in their 30s, neglecting their boxing skills. But this is exactly what would make it dramatic.

Hard to bet against a prime Hagler - relentless aggression, off the scale will to win, iron chin - Hopkins would have to be at his cutest to prevail.

Top drawer 50/50 fantasy match up.

BHop is more crafty and has enough power to get Hagler thinking twice about brawling and swarming.

BHop by decision.
Shit, that makes me recall all the "Hopkins the Craftsman" posts post -Calzaghe

----

What a craftsman!

771794-10359767-640-360.jpg

Shit, that makes me recall all the "Hopkins the Craftsman" posts post -Calzaghe

----

What a craftsman!

771794-10359767-640-360.jpg

He did drop Calzaghe, but it is hard to be crafty when your dealing with an opponent the throws thousands of punches. I don't think Hagler can sustain that work rate.

Back