Martial Art similar to boxing?

White Belt
Reaction score
I have boxed for quite a few years but want to develop a more diverse stand up game while sticking to SOME of the essentials I picked up in boxing.
Which martial art has a stance and movements similar to boxing, other than kickboxing or muay thai?
I am looking to try something different. Lots of strikers have said that Tae kwon Do has helped them use their legs as well as their hands and the stance looks fairly similar to boxing. I am really looking into it now. I've also heard a lot about different kinds of karate, etc. I'm just curious to see what people think. Thanks guys

Taekwondo is not very useful, except in taekwondo tournaments. I'm trying not to totally bash it but yea, it's basically useless in real life. Muay thai didn't used to have boxing-style punches, they were adapted once it became a regulated sport in a ring with rules, because gloves replaced the traditional wraps. Other than kickboxing and modern muay thai, not much uses boxing-style punching. But, you could go to a straight-up mma school. There you can definitely use your boxing experience

Last edited:
I could but I don't know. I don't like the idea of going to an mma school. TO ME, its MIXED martial arts. And in order to mix them up, I should be proficient in a few different martial art, you know?
My goal is to get better stand up by being able to use my whole body rather than just my punches.
My ground game I'm working on as well. Once I feel really comfortable on the ground, I will probably make the switch to an MMA School. Thanks for the reply though

I could but I don't know. I don't like the idea of going to an mma school. TO ME, its MIXED martial arts. And in order to mix them up, I should be proficient in a few different martial art, you know?
My goal is to get better stand up by being able to use my whole body rather than just my punches.
My ground game I'm working on as well. Once I feel really comfortable on the ground, I will probably make the switch to an MMA School. Thanks for the reply though

MMA school, because they will teach you the effective parts of the martial arts. Like TKD is not so useful as the poster above said. I would not deem it totally useless. Obviously some of the kicking techniques are useful. But alot of martial arts have that too. But an MMA school would fast track you to what works and what doesn't.

I have boxed for quite a few years but want to develop a more diverse stand up game while sticking to SOME of the essentials I picked up in boxing.
Which martial art has a stance and movements similar to boxing, other than kickboxing or muay thai?
I am looking to try something different. Lots of strikers have said that Tae kwon Do has helped them use their legs as well as their hands and the stance looks fairly similar to boxing. I am really looking into it now. I've also heard a lot about different kinds of karate, etc. I'm just curious to see what people think. Thanks guys

There are many forms of Kickboxing, TKD and Karate. Which is best? I guess who you learn from, what you intend to do with the skills you learn, and what skills you want to learn is a huge part of that riddle.

Most martial arts practitioners understand Muay Thai by now. TKD and Karate differ on a few things but are similar in concepts. The least understood and most criticized of these traditional martial arts is Olympic TKD.

The rules in Olympic TKD are exactly the same as in boxing but the strikes are done with the feet, not the hands... - so the sport is completely different.

In Olympic TKD you can expect to learn to play a game of kicking. It is a sport where reaction, speed, and explosiveness are developed. It is game of "super rock-paper-scissors" as I like to call it.

Because punches to the head are not allowed and body punches don't often score in Olympic TKD, there are fundamental differences in weight distribution, movements, and philosophy than in boxing or MT. This can both work for you or against you when integrating Olympic TKD with other fighting styles.

Tools from TKD that are commonly used in MMA are --- Linear strikes, Back-kicks, Front-kicks, Round-kicks (linear), Axe-kicks, Side-kicks - Footwork. I have yet to see a pure TKD practitioner in the UFC. Lyoto Machida is the closest thing to a traditional Karate/TKD practioner. Great composure and speedy recovery from executing advanced movements are some of the other skills developed in Olympic TKD.

Over the past 20 years I have trained in Karate, TKD (traditional and olympic), Kickboxing (western and thai), and BJJ. I find useful tools in all of these styles.

(now I am going to use this reply to form a new thread) : )

Muay thai would be your best bet if you aren't going to do pure boxing, hands down. Your experience in boxing will help you understand the fundamentals a lot easier. Once you get Muay Thai down, then maybe take up TKD to supplement the muay thai, but not to use it as your base system. TKD kicks deffinitely augment Muay Thai, but in and of themselves its far from practical for self defense or for competition in anything other than TKD.

I'm not so sure why you are so focused on a "martial art" -- however you define that, but if you want to do something other than MT, what about Kyokushin?

Muay Thai all the way rocky...

Muay thai would be your best bet if you aren't going to do pure boxing, hands down. Your experience in boxing will help you understand the fundamentals a lot easier. Once you get Muay Thai down, then maybe take up TKD to supplement the muay thai, but not to use it as your base system. TKD kicks deffinitely augment Muay Thai, but in and of themselves its far from practical for self defense or for competition in anything other than TKD.
I think Muay Thai is the easiest transition because punches to the face are already there, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the kicks in TKD aren't useful outside of TKD.

kubo.gif

Back