Mark Munoz

Saskatoonmike**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The thread where we pay him some RESPECT.

In thread after thread we see various Anderson fans doing a hatchet job on the MW career of Mark Munoz. He is being called the most over rated MW contender of all time and it is being suggested that even before the Weidman fight he had already been exposed as over rated and most people were still judging him based on his loss at LHW in his first UFC fight to Hamill.

Of course all this is being done by certain Anderson fans desperate to diminish Weidman's wins but this is the thread where Munoz gets some of the love and credit he deserves for what was one of the best MW runs of any contender, one fight away from a fight with Anderson.

Mark's big wins over Leben, Maia and Grove in a 7 fight win run are about as good as it gets at MW for number of top wins before getting a shot.

A perennially top 10 MW since dropping to the division. You deserve more respect then certain fans are giving you and you certainly do not deserve to have your career spun and rewritten as if you were never anything in the division but the most over rated MW.

War MUNOZ!

Mark "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" Munoz made his MW debut in Aug 2009. He won 7 of 8 fights at MW's before his Weidman fight, with his only loss being to the one MW with arguably a comparable winning record at MW at the time, in Okami who was 6 for 7 at the time with his only loss being to be CHael Sonnen.

Munoz had a better MW record then Anderson contenders Lutter, Cote, Leites, Belfort, Marquart, Maia, Hendo at the time they fought Anderson. The only Anderson contender with arguably a better record was Chael, who was 5 of 6 with a loss to Maia but the bigger wins in his run.

Searching I found this excerpt quote written by Sherdog.com in a forum post just prior to the Weidman fight...

After he battered Leben at UFC 138, Munoz respectfully requested a title shot against Anderson Silva. If everything had gone perfectly, it might have been Munoz, not Chael Sonnen, who fought Silva at UFC 148. Instead, an elbow injury knocked the Reign MMA product from a No. 1 contender’s bout against Sonnen at UFC on Fox 2, and you know the rest of the story. Now Munoz finds himself perhaps just one win away from a title shot, but he will have to earn it against Weidman, one of the fastest rising prospects in the sport.

Ironically the only MW currently whose record compares to where Munoz was before the Weidman loss...is Weidman himself. And Weidman too is getting the same hatchet job by the same Anderson fans.

UFC138_MunozLeben_005.jpg

Mark Munoz is the most overrated mw contender of all time.

His best win is a fight he should of lost to Demian Maia. A guy who hadn't looked impressive at mw in years.

Btw lo fucking l at saying Munoz had a better mw record than Marquardt, Hendo or Maia.

Mark Munoz is the most overrated mw contender of all time.

His best win is a fight he should of lost to Demian Maia. A guy who hadn't looked impressive at mw in years.

Btw lo fucking l at saying Munoz had a better mw record than Marquardt, Hendo or Maia.

SHouldn't reply to a guy as ignorant about MMA as you are but here goes...

Marquart had 4 wins in the UFC prior to his Anderson fight with his best win being Dean Lister. His two wins prior to the UFC certainly do not put his record over Munoz'.

I did not think anyone was willing to argue Maia had the better MW record at the time with his devasting KO loss 2 fights prior. Most admit he was an injury substitution and it was not an earned fight.

You can argue Hendo based on his legend status but not his UFC MW record.

And again Anderson fans are amazing. Weidman and all his wins at MW are over rated and garbage according to you guys. Munoz and all his wins at MW are over rated and garbage according to you guys. Maia and all his wins at MW are over rated and garbage according to you guys.

Oh but when comparing Anderson in GOAT talks you say the MW division and Anderson's opponents hold up to the other GOAT contenders and you seem to not recognize the conflict in your positions.

He seems like a good guy.

But I see him as an average fighter, not trying to hate though. Also I thought he lost to Maia. His best win is a really high Chris Leben

He seems like a good guy.

But I see him as an average fighter, not trying to hate though. Also I thought he lost to Maia. His best win is a really high Chris Leben

I totally agree he is a pretty average fighter. But that is not mutually exclusive of him being one of the best and most consistent top MW's who was a top contender, with one of the best records. He has been a top ranked MW for about as long as anyone at MW.

The guy needs to stay healthy and he will improve. He can hang with the 5to10 ranked guys at this point

I totally agree he is a pretty average fighter. But that is not mutually exclusive of him being one of the best and most consistent top MW's who was a top contender, with one of the best records. He has been a top ranked MW for about as long as anyone at MW.

He was never really a top contender, and far from one of the best and DEFIANTLY not consistent.

I like the guy, but slow down...

Munoz greatest highlight is getting headkicked by Matt Hamill.....Either way I don't have hate for him, he hasn't beat anyone of real importance....even Leben his biggest win was a fringe top ten guy....I would like to see him fight Okami, Stann or Boetch when he comes back, he is still a big name but he is getting older....It would be nice to see him in shape next time he comes back.....

we all know when mark steps up to the top mw he losses

You sound like a hardcore fan of the Filipino wrecking machine. I gotta ask you man, how do you feel about pacquiaos last fight? Just let it all out bro

To be fair, and even as a Weidman fan, it's pretty obvious he was out of shape during that fight. He probably came back too early from injury. He was also ranked a bit high, by some as high as #3 at middleweight, but Leben and Maia are still impressive wins, regardless of the excuses. He deserved to be top ten for sure.

He was never really a top contender, and far from one of the best and DEFIANTLY not consistent.

I like the guy, but slow down...

But that is true for a huge percentage of MW's top contenders over the years.

Because MW has always been a weak and inconsistent division the Top10 has been built of guys who go on one single good career run of like 5 fights with few big fights (like Cote and Leites) and not only make top 10 but make top contender.

In most other divisions you must prove yourself way more.

I am pointing out that Munoz is not that different then the other guys who drop to MW and populate the top 10 other then he has proven himself more with more wins and the bigger wins.

yes, yes middleweight is weak. no need to beat around the bush.

yes, yes middleweight is weak. no need to beat around the bush.

Not mw division fault that Anderson runs out guys like Maia who is high light reeling ww(weak division) and Hendo KO'ing hw goat(VERY WEAK DIVISION) and beating shogun(one of the greatest lhws) to an inch of his life.

I'll start this out by saying that Anderson is my favorite fighter.

That being said, I don't hate Munoz, but I always thought he was a bit overrated. I thought Maia beat him, which was probably one of the biggest reasons people had him in the top 5. The Leben victory was good, but where was Leben ranked at the time?

As far as Weidman, he certainly has the tools to beat Anderson, but I think he needs a few more wins, mainly to build his name. Realistically, Anderson may only have a few fights left, and I don't think the Weidman fight sells well at this point.

I'm kind of surprised that Bisping wasn't given the title shot. I know he lost to Chael, but even Dana said he scored that fight for Bisping, and I know Dana has been itching to give another Brit a title shot.

Back