• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mario Yamasaki plans to attend John McCarthy referee course, regrets Priscila Cachoeira statement

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
Mario Yamasaki plans to attend a refereeing seminar held by veteran referee turned Bellator commentator John McCarthy.

Yamasaki’s aim is twofold: To observe the course’s structure and apply it to the refereeing seminars he teaches, and to prove himself to athletic commissions and the UFC.

“I think they’re going to know I’m still trying to be the best that I can be,” Yamasaki today told MMAjunkie. “I’m not cocky, just saying, ‘I’ve been there for 19 years; I can’t learn any more.'”

Yamasaki was written off by UFC President Dana White after an extremely late stoppage that allowed Priscila Cachoeira to take dozens of unanswered punches at February’s UFC Fight Night 125. The referee subsequently released a statement defending his call by stating he allowed Cachoeira to be a warrior by fighting longer.

Yamasaki now regrets the statement and admits he should have simply owned up to his mistake.

“I should have stopped it a little earlier, but I didn’t,” he said.

McCarthy’s course, C.O.M.M.A.N.D., takes place July 6-8 in connection with the UFC’s International Fight Week in Las Vegas. The course is officially recognized by the Association of Boxing Commissions and is considered one of the most reputable sources of referee and judge training for prospective MMA officials. (Full disclosure: The author took the course in 2011 as a journalist and did not pass.)

McCarthy told MMAjunkie Yamasaki pitched him on the idea of an online tutorial in July, but said “that’s not going to happen.” He said Yamasaki said nothing about attending the referee course and would need to pass the course if he intended to take it, adding “I’m not going to pass him because he’s Mario Yamasaki.”

The Brazilian Athletic Commission (CABMMA) did not assign Yamasaki to referee this month’s UFC 224 in Brazil. The commission, which the veteran referee helped form, said it would decide moving forward what formal steps to take on his future work with the commission. CABMMA Director of Operations Christiano Sampaio did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Yamasaki’s status.

According to a report from MMAFighting.com, UFC lightweight Michael Chiesa, who unsuccessfully appealed an early stoppageYamasaki called in a fight against Kevin Lee, said UFC VP of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner told him Yamasaki would never referee a UFC event again.

Yamasaki hopes that isn’t the case, but he’s intentionally not volunteered his services to commissions that host UFC events, planning to wait six months before he tries to work again.

Meanwhile, even just as an observer at McCarthy’s course, Yamasaki expects to sharpen his skills as a referee.

“John, for me, is my mentor,” he said. “He’s been with me since I started. He always helped me, so I think that’s always going to help me. It can never hurt to learn more and see more and listen.”

More here: http://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/mario-...e-course-regrets-priscila-cachoeira-statement

Nothing like learning from the best... plus you need a class or two to keep up with the times. Couldn't hurt.

Nothing like learning from the best... plus you need a class or two to keep up with the times. Couldn't hurt.
white belt mindset is important for sure

glad to hear this from mario

Hoping for the best, but isn't it weird that a ref that has been doing this for nearly two decades will now attend a course to learn how to ref? Like, shit, he should've picked up the hang of things by now.

Anywho, hopefully he passes.

if you cant learn in 19 years...

yamazaki GOAT just bleed ref

Its a bit worrying that UFC has so much power over the commissions to be able to ban refs they dont like

mario made the right call DQ e. silva ( u cannot spam strikes, u need to pick ur shots ) and fucking joe rogan gets up there and embarrarass and shame mario. sickening.

Whenever a fighter says they are willing to die in the octagon they should make Yamasaki the ref

Last thing we need is Dana having an influence over who can ref and judge fights.

Yamasaki has bad vision.
He has a pattern of bad stoppages.
It doesn't matter how many referee courses he takes, it won't help him at all.
He could be a black belt in reffing, but a white belt in awareness and the mistakes would still repeat.

Tell him to see an optometrist for his vision problems.
He probably needs glasses.

Good for him. Very humbling in my opinion.

Mario Yamasaki plans to attend a refereeing seminar held by veteran referee turned Bellator commentator John McCarthy.

Yamasaki’s aim is twofold: To observe the course’s structure and apply it to the refereeing seminars he teaches, and to prove himself to athletic commissions and the UFC.

“I think they’re going to know I’m still trying to be the best that I can be,” Yamasaki today told MMAjunkie. “I’m not cocky, just saying, ‘I’ve been there for 19 years; I can’t learn any more.'”

Yamasaki was written off by UFC President Dana White after an extremely late stoppage that allowed Priscila Cachoeira to take dozens of unanswered punches at February’s UFC Fight Night 125. The referee subsequently released a statement defending his call by stating he allowed Cachoeira to be a warrior by fighting longer.

Yamasaki now regrets the statement and admits he should have simply owned up to his mistake.

“I should have stopped it a little earlier, but I didn’t,” he said.

McCarthy’s course, C.O.M.M.A.N.D., takes place July 6-8 in connection with the UFC’s International Fight Week in Las Vegas. The course is officially recognized by the Association of Boxing Commissions and is considered one of the most reputable sources of referee and judge training for prospective MMA officials. (Full disclosure: The author took the course in 2011 as a journalist and did not pass.)

McCarthy told MMAjunkie Yamasaki pitched him on the idea of an online tutorial in July, but said “that’s not going to happen.” He said Yamasaki said nothing about attending the referee course and would need to pass the course if he intended to take it, adding “I’m not going to pass him because he’s Mario Yamasaki.”

The Brazilian Athletic Commission (CABMMA) did not assign Yamasaki to referee this month’s UFC 224 in Brazil. The commission, which the veteran referee helped form, said it would decide moving forward what formal steps to take on his future work with the commission. CABMMA Director of Operations Christiano Sampaio did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Yamasaki’s status.

According to a report from MMAFighting.com, UFC lightweight Michael Chiesa, who unsuccessfully appealed an early stoppageYamasaki called in a fight against Kevin Lee, said UFC VP of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner told him Yamasaki would never referee a UFC event again.

Yamasaki hopes that isn’t the case, but he’s intentionally not volunteered his services to commissions that host UFC events, planning to wait six months before he tries to work again.

Meanwhile, even just as an observer at McCarthy’s course, Yamasaki expects to sharpen his skills as a referee.

“John, for me, is my mentor,” he said. “He’s been with me since I started. He always helped me, so I think that’s always going to help me. It can never hurt to learn more and see more and listen.”

More here: http://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/mario-...e-course-regrets-priscila-cachoeira-statement

IMHO refresher classes should be mandatory.
EVERYONE makes mistakes. From Mario to Herb and even to BJM.
So the more they study, the more the talk and improve, the better for the sport.

I'm surprised there's no secondary official who can stop the fight earlier. There've been multiple occasions where fighters have gone out and the ref in the cage/ring hasn't realized it creating a very very dangerous situation. I.E. Kim Couture.

Back